LegacyGT.com

I need opinions before I purchase.

Well I've switched from Honda to subaru. Last september I bought A 98 Legacy GT and I love it. I decided to buy a newer legacy, an 05 GTL turbo 5spd. Now I've heard horrible things about this particular model. Should I be wary?

I am only looking right now. The guy selling is a member on here, its a silver badgeless awesome looking beauty. It has 115,000+ miles and from the sound of it thats when shit starts to fail.

What should I do?

for the most part they are good.

there are a lot of bad stories on here because they came to this site because of issues.

beat the shit out of it on the test drive if it starts knocking dont take it !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

for the most part they are good.

There are a lot of bad stories on here because they came to this site because of issues.

beat the shit out of it on the test drive if it starts knocking dont take it !

The reviews I read are on edmunds, nasioc and car&driver. None of them are impressed. So I am very concerned about a money pit...

I will be test driving it again, I will do as you suggested.

• Moderators

If I was buying an LGT with 115k miles I would really want it to come with some decent maintenance records as well as proof that the timing belt was changed already.

If not, I would rather buy a similar mileage vehicle (or higher) with a blown motor for cheap and just rebuild it or pay someone to rebuild it. Done right, you'll probably spend a similar amount of money but you'll have a new motor.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If I was buying an LGT with 115k miles I would really want it to come with some decent maintenance records as well as proof that the timing belt was changed already.

If not, I would rather buy a similar mileage vehicle (or higher) with a blown motor for cheap and just rebuild it or pay someone to rebuild it. Done right, you'll probably spend a similar amount of money but you'll have a new motor.

Honestly the car is practically immaculate. Very well maintained, He put a kevlar timing belt on it at 105k I believe. He has done tons of maintenance and has all the records.

Like I said, I'm really torn :confused:

Side note, its the silver one in my avatar..

Price?

He's asking 10,000.

I offered him 9800. He accepted but making me wait till he finds something else to daily.

It comes with new blizzaks on stock wheels.

sporty tires on OZ 5 spoke wheels.

2 twelve inch boston acustics and a nice amp setup

Seems nice, especially with two sets of wheels / tires. What kind of tune does he have on there with the intake?
He didn't specify about a tune.

Get a compression and leak down test. If it passes, buy it.
I will do that! Thank you!

Best advice you'll get, right here.

Edit: and if you go to get these tests done and think they are too expensive, start looking for another car.

I see what you did there :lol:

I can already tell this will be an expensive decision either way:rolleyes:

• Moderators
Just sayin'. That test will probably run $200-250, if you're the type that having to cut a check like that will absolutely kill you a turbo suby just probably isn't the perfect fit. I don't think these cars are inherently expensive to run, but they certainly can be at times...i.e. I just spent ~$1000 on a clutch replacement and I did it myself, so that's with no labor, just parts. Things can get expensive.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just sayin'. That test will probably run $200-250, if you're the type that having to cut a check like that will absolutely kill you a turbo suby just probably isn't the perfect fit. I don't think these cars are inherently expensive to run, but they certainly can be at times...i.e. I just spent ~$1000 on a clutch replacement and I did it myself, so that's with no labor, just parts. Things can get expensive.

I've got the money to buy it, but I don't want to have to spend money on it right after buying it. It would essentially defeat the purpose of spending this much on a car...

I'm trying to buy a low maintenance fun/quick subaru that is solid right from the git.

The reviews I read are on edmunds, nasioc and car&driver. None of them are impressed. So I am very concerned about a money pit...

I will be test driving it again, I will do as you suggested.

The reviews are correct. Specifically the 'GT by badge only reference' Everything about the car is soft, suspension, body roll, brakes. Soft.

Motor wise they are not as well build as a Honda motor. This is further complicated by the fact you have a turbo, which by about 115K might have some shaft play. While it can be replaced for about $500, the damage done to the motor should it fail and throw metal; will cost you thousands.

The 5sp manual tranny is near junk. Shifting is rubbery, numb and throws long. GT tranny? No just some regular 5sp connected to a turbo.

In my opinion the late 90's Legacy's and the modern legacy are worlds apart. Both in build quality and realiability. Your opinion might be different.

What you will pick up with an 05 turbo'd subi over a Honda is the mid-range power. Honda counts on RPMs to make power, this Subi a undersized turbo giving you mid-range but no top end.

My concern for you. If all you can afford is a $10K car, you're stepping into a car that might be more costly to service then you're able to support.

That all said, this guy is pretty straight forward on everything about the car. Having sold cars myself, this is how I sell and creates trust from the start. HOWEVER there is a lot not said.

Get a compression and leak down test. If it passes, buy it.

This is certainly adviseable. It appears as though it wouldn't have caught the problem that resulted in my costly motor rebuild however :(

My check list would be:

- compression test

- inspect turbo for shaft play

- ask about tune

- look for clutch slip (no mention of it being replaced)

- Do an oil analysis

- Inspected by a trusted mech

I realize this is a tad overboard but he isn't in a rush and for the few hundred you'll spend, you might avoid dropping $5k on a motor rebuild.

I've got the money to buy it, but I don't want to have to spend money on it right after buying it. It would essentially defeat the purpose of spending this much on a car...

I'm trying to buy a low maintenance fun/quick subaru that is solid right from the git.

You're buying the wrong car if you want low maintenance. Unless you must have AWD go pick up a similar age/miles TSX. Rock solid platform, less the TQ , AWD and turbo. You pick up a rocking 6sp, razor sharp handling and if you Hondata the car better mid-range tq.

You're buying the wrong car if you want low maintenance. Unless you must have AWD go pick up a similar age/miles TSX. Rock solid platform, less the TQ , AWD and turbo. You pick up a rocking 6sp, razor sharp handling and if you Hondata the car better mid-range tq.

I would like awd and manual. Those are my main desires.

Also, I don't think the TSX ever came with AWD. The TL did I'm pretty sure... I was under the impression they were all FWD.

I would like awd and manual. Those are my main desires.

Also, I don't think the TSX ever came with AWD. The TL did I'm pretty sure...

Nope, TSX doesn't come in AWD and for $10K (if that's your budget) you're going to have a tough time buying a car to do all that. The recently gen TL's do, but they'll be pushing $26k+ They do have the best AWD system available in a production car, makes anything subi has look like 80's tech.

Basically you've asked for:

- AWD

- Cheap

- Reliable

- Powerful

You can have two of those, but not all 4 :(

Nope, TSX doesn't come in AWD and for $10K (if that's your budget) you're going to have a tough time buying a car to do all that. The recently gen TL's do, but they'll be pushing $26k+ They do have the best AWD system available in a production car, makes anything subi has look like 80's tech.

Basically you've asked for:

- AWD

- Cheap

- Reliable

- Powerful

You can have two of those, but not all 4 :(

AAHHH PISSS!!

I at least want AWD and reliable...

That's not gonna change anything, lol.

If it's a little cheaper it won't bother me. Also I can't find all this terrible crap about wrx's like I do with legacy's.

Consumer reviews is enough for me to follow, I'll still be on the hunt...

if your doing compression and leak down test do a oil pressure test also...

have the engine hot and install a pressure gauge and see what the oil pressure is at hot idle. however the grade of oil will affect the readings. bt it will give an idea of the intenal shape of the engine.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Hey OP, you're getting solid advice from these blokes. As for the WRX, unless you find one that was driven by a grandma, most likely it would have been flogged. I know it is a lot you're delving into. Being on my second Subaru, I realize that these aren't cars you just jump in and drive; the turbo ones i.e. You have to monitor, baby, and constantly inspect or expect maintenance at some point. I feel your pain though. I got bitten by the bug and as much as I know an Accord or Camry may be more reliable, I am afraid of falling asleep while parallel parking on of those yawn inducers.

Archived