LegacyGT.com

Clutch Pedal Issue - Sudden loss of pressure

compression

2005 Legacy 2.5i sedan 5MT

I get in my car today, sit down, get ready to start it, push in the clutch pedal and BAM! straight to the floor. I havent driven the car in about 3 days, and last I drove it was working OK.

There is no hydraulic resistance in the pedal for the first 3/4 of the stroke, then the last 1/4 of the stroke it is soft and vague mushy feeling.

Pedal shaft and linkage under the dash looks good. No movement at the slave cylinder. No fluid under the dash from the M/c.

There is still plenty of fluid in the master cylinder. No fluid leaks at master or slave, or in the hose.

I am assuming this is a clutch master cylinder issue. Anyone had similar issue?

Possibly Related?: in the last week or two(when it was working), I have noticed that when I push in the clutch pedal it feels like there is a "lump" in the middle of the pedal stroke. Maybe this was a sign that things were going bad.

:confused:Also, why in the hell is it so hard to obtain a 2005 legacy master cylinder!? I had to call almost all the autoparts stores in town before I found a place that could actually get one. In stock? forget it. The Suby dealership said that there are only 8 M/C's in the distribution centers nationwide and they want $165. I finally found a place that can get it for $80, so will get it tomorrow.

I guess I am used to other cars where clutch masters and slaves are readily stocked at all parts stores....

I guess the fact that they are hard to get is a good thing. If everyone stocks them...that's because there is a big need for them.

Hope this fixes your issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

New master cylinder fixed it. $80 from a local parts store (not a big-name chain store). Replacement one was the EXACT same Nabco unit as the OEM M/C.

Installed it, adjusted push rod, bled it. Works great.

If you are in the Portland Oregon area, always check Halsey Auto Parts, they can get stuff that other stores cant and they have good prices too.

I took the old one apart and did not see any reason why it wasnt building pressure. Seals looked good, bore looked smooth and nice, overall it looked almost brand new. But it just didnt work, so into the garbage it went.

Really weird failure, expecially at such low miles (76k).

Archived