LegacyGT.com

What is this under my steering wheel

ksuwildcat2010

Just bought a very slightly used 2009 2.5i limited, only 7,000 miles. First Subaru, so I'm pretty excited. It didn't come with an owner's manual, but I've looked online and can't figure out what this is. Sorry if I didn't upload the picture right, first post on here. It is located right next to the fuses, and has a flashing green light. Sorry if this is a dumb post.

2011-10-30_16-41-26_197.thumb.jpg.9cde99ab6fc6f7ed4c459a6bfdd416a2.jpg

Wires go up into the dash. I push the green button but it doesn't do anything. The green light on top always flashes. I assumed it wasn't factory, but didn't know. Kinda of annoys me because if I remove it there is two holes drilled into my dash. Will try to see where the wires run, but won't be able to till tomorrow.

• Moderators

did it have XM or any other aux audio? I ran into a car once that had a simple toggle switch there and it turned on/off an internally mounted FM transmitter for XM radio. Tune your radio to some of the lower FM stations (88.xx through 91.xx) and push the button on each station to see what happens.

Each time you do it give it a few secs to see if pushing the button overrides whatever your hearing. Whether you are hearing static or a station, it should override it so that you hear nothing.

Or it could be something else, lol

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

i wonder if its one of those tracking devices that insurances companies use to monitor driving.

Those don't usually require drilling holes in the dash. I think that they only hard mount tracking devices for corporate or fleet vehicles.

OP do you know anything about the cars history?

Interesting. Did you trace the wires? Are they spliced into existing wires? I'd guess it has something to do with an aftermarket alarm or remote start as well.

If all else fails you could take it to a car audio shop to see if they know what it is.

Archived