LegacyGT.com

misfire #2 cel cruise lights on

finally took my car to the dealership after my local mechanic couldn't figure out why i kepy getting a misfire on #2.

dealership swapped injectors and coils and found nothing then charged me $200 for a inector flush to rule out any problems with coils, plugs, and spark plugs.

they did a leak check to make sure that was cleared.

so now they're going to open the valve cover to measurements and inspect the valves for an additional $250.

car has 92k and never has had any issues. i'll update on what they find tomorrow with the valves. anyone else have a similiar situation?

I have the same problem man...I was thinking it was most likely the plugs or wires. your dealership has already pulled it apart and it still pulls a CEL? I have 90,xxx miles and have never had a problem like this...although I haven't taken the time to reseach it or dig in to the car itself.

Not that it is probably going to make you any happier, but if the valve clearance was so tight that it caused a misfire, it probably burned the valve. Its usually the exhaust valves that get tight like that, and when you are leaking out super hot exhaust gas under a tiny clearance between the valve and the seat, it "burns" grooves in the valve and seat and will cause it not to seal even when the clearance is corrected.

I've heard of this happening quite a bit on the DOHC Subarus, although usually not at such low mileage.

FWIW, adjusting valve clearance on a DOHC Subaru requires removing the cam over that valve, which requires removing the timing belt among other things. I'd recommend having them install a new timing belt when it goes back together, so you don't have to do it again in another 13k.

Archived