LegacyGT.com

First Learning View session, scary result?

zBird-Dog

Hi!

I used for the first time my OP 2.0 last weekend with Learning View. The results of my session appears to me to be not good. In the A/F #1 Learning there is lot of big red numbers that I think should not be so high (or low because it's negative).

What should I understand of that? Will my car blow? (I hope not)

The car has no mods at all.

1853758021_LearningView_SS_2010-05-16202217.jpg.5deed4fb93ef68d31ce1db9ea0128d5e.jpg

Disclaimer - still learning... What kind of car? (year, MT/AT, etc - I'm assuming an LGT)

But... The A/F numbers don't look great, but negative is not necessarily bad.

You have some pulled timing, but nothing that's going to blow up your car... -1.4 is the standard correction when a knock event is "detected", -2.8 means it it detected more then one event, or detected an event AGAIN in the same cell it did previously...

IAM is at 1, which is good.

Stock car, expect some knock events, I was pulling more timing then this on my stock 05 GT when I first got it... I wouldn't worry too much.

You say it's stock, are you sure there's not an aftermarket air filter? I would expect A/F off a little with say a K&N or something...

You can always data-log Knock Event, FBKC and FLKC and use some of the tools on RomRaider.com.

Your fueling is definitely off. Your ecu is subtracting a lot of fuel at WOT with the big negative D. Could be pretty dangerous.

Can you confirm that you have a bone stock intake with OEM filter, snorkel, and baffle? Seems odd the fueling would be so far off.

Inspect for post-MAF leaks. Your MAF sensor thinks a lot of air is coming in but your front O2 sensor doesn't think so. One of them is wrong. Also check around your front O2 sensor for leaks.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

This is a bone stock car? I am very interested myself in the details. We seldom see learning views and logs on stock cars as far as I know. It is definitely educative to see how stock Legacies run from the factory.

Generally speaking you want the A/F learning within 5% or less.

Later edit: the vehicle info is right into the Learning View. I forgot about that, duh!

Opie has a 2005 Legacy GT MT.

Yep, since the fuel trims increase as airflow rises, you've got a boost leak somewhere. Most likely you've either lost a hose (like the T under the intercooler) or a hose clamp is loose.

Thank you for your interest to my post. I'm pretty busy these days but I'll take time to go deeper in Learning View with NSFW link. Rommraider forum is great but the noob that I am need time to understand everything.

I'll take a look at boost leaks. If I understand, the propane technique is suitable for the test.

I wasn't clear but the car is 05 LGT MT bone stock, 151000 km (94000 miles) with almost all original parts and run with canadian 91 fuel.

Propane technique?

With engine at idle speed, pour propane ( unlighted) on intake components. Intake leaks are revealed when engine speed change due to propane ingestion.

Maybe I shoud say propane method, sorry my english is not very accurate.:redface:

The 91 fuel could be part of the problem also... Our engines are very knock prone running anything less than 93 Octane. I would suggest finding an appropriate mix of octane booster and see if that helps before performing a leak test. BTW WTF is a propane boost leak test????? I just used a soup can pressed into some tight fitting rubber hose with a valve stem fastened in the bottom of the soup can. I popped it onto the air inlet hose to the turbo and pumped up the system with a bike pump. Worked great.

Subscribed for a the Propane leak test walkthrough:confused:

It sounds like this is the same thing as doing a carb vac leak check with a can of carb cleaner. Spray around components that have seams or are prone to cracking and when the engine sucks it in there the idle will change.

The only difference with this over just a simple vac leak would be the fact that your most likely checking pre TB for a leak, where as vac leaks are obviously post TB.

• 3 weeks later...
I just used a soup can pressed into some tight fitting rubber hose with a valve stem fastened in the bottom of the soup can. I popped it onto the air inlet hose to the turbo and pumped up the system with a bike pump. Worked great.

Is it a pressure limit that I should observe to not damage any engine sensors? May be 5 psi be enough and save for testing?

With a bike pump I'm pretty sure that I will not raise pressure to much.

Is it a pressure limit that I should observe to not damage any engine sensors? May be 5 psi be enough and save for testing?

With a bike pump I'm pretty sure that I will not raise pressure to much.

I used an air compressor with no damage to anything. It turned out the check valve on my brake booster was cracked.

As for 91 octane causing the issue on a stock car, I doubt it. 91 is pretty much the highest you're gonna find in Canada, CA, AZ and NV.

Spark plugs are 53000 km old, injector were cleaned 20000km ago and air filter about 10000km and not so dirty. I plan to replace spark plugs soon because the car was not mine last time the plugs were replaced. I want to make sure everything is all right.

Not trying to thread jack....sorry if I am though.

After reading this thread, I decided to give a learning view a go.

Its a 05 LGT 5EAT. Stock, no mods, maybe a KN panel filter.

I was surprised to see red as well. Just throwing it up for comparison.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ptrout/LearningView_SS_6-12-201054658PM.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ptrout/?action=view&current=LearningView_SS_6-12-201054658PM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been trying to learn a lot over the last few weeks about reading the info from the ecu. I am going to get my car tuned in about a month and I don't want to just hand over the car, have it tuned and then not understand what has gone on.

Here is my Learning View screenshot. I did read the link posted in this thread and have been trying to read as much as I can on Romraider. The fuel trim levels look alright, maybe a bit high. Here is my question, I have all the parts coming for my 60k service and I will be doing all that work over the next two weeks. Are any of these levels particularly worrysome? Would the knock at high load levels be the result of plugs that are due for changing?

I worry about the cells with FLKC because the engine compensated once and then still saw knock. The car is new to me and I thoroughly trust the previous owner. The engine is all stock.

Thanks guys!

261794367_LearningView_SS_7-1-201081438PM.jpg.ab6e7a8337c39e03b60a148bb7653c89.jpg

Archived