LegacyGT.com

Malfunctioning Idiot (Seatbelt) Chime

sirhecubus42

This afternoon, for no obvious reason, the passenger seatbelt chime has started to malfunction. Its worked perfectly for the last 6 weeks since i bought the car, but today it insists that the non-existant passenger should be wearing their seatbelt. Its a little illogical on the car's part: it knows not to turn the airbag on, because there is no weight on the seat, but is determined to get that passenger seatbelt buckled! I disabled the chime using the methods described in another forum, so its not going to drive me crazy, but it always concerns me when part of a new car doesn't work. It just doesn't bode well. I checked all of the connections under the seat, where there is a very elaborate Denso-designed system all running to the "Occupant Control Module". Very sinister sounding, no? But every seems to be plugged in where it should be. Just wondering if anyone else has has a similar problem. Thanks.

[quote name='sirhecubus42']This afternoon, for no obvious reason, the passenger seatbelt chime has started to malfunction. Its worked perfectly for the last 6 weeks since i bought the car, but today it insists that the non-existant passenger should be wearing their seatbelt. Its a little illogical on the car's part: it knows not to turn the airbag on, because there is no weight on the seat, but is determined to get that passenger seatbelt buckled! I disabled the chime using the methods described in another forum, so its not going to drive me crazy, but it always concerns me when part of a new car doesn't work. It just doesn't bode well. I checked all of the connections under the seat, where there is a very elaborate Denso-designed system all running to the "Occupant Control Module". Very sinister sounding, no? But every seems to be plugged in where it should be. Just wondering if anyone else has has a similar problem. Thanks.[/QUOTE] The occupant sensing system in the passenger seat must need recalibrated. It will flash the seatbelt light when *ANY* weight is detected in the seat. If the weight is above the threshold necessary, then the "Airbag ON" light illuminates.

When I first got my Outback, when I would take a corner really fast, I would hear the same warning chime. It was funny, I thought I had some sort of sensor telling me to slow down! Then I realized it was the seatbelt chime. I did some searching and found something about 'resetting' the passenger seat by sliding it all the way back and then forward. I did this and since then haven't heard any chiming around curves... anyway, all very strange. I'm not sure how to quote, but try this link: [URL=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634934]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634934[/URL]

• 1 month later...
The weight threshold is 79.1 lbs. You might *think* there isnt a passenger with you:) Probably a defective seat harness/sensor. We had one come off the transport with the exact same problem you're having. There's like 8 sensors under there, so there's plenty of things that can go wrong. Jim

• 11 months later...
I have had two strange things happen. Putting my roller briefcase into the passenger seat causes the chime, seems simple, I move the bag to the floor. I think it weighs about 25 lbs. The real strange one was when I started my car, moved it in the driveway, letting it run while warming up. Then my sister drove the car, and the chime went on for 20 minutes. She was not happy. I think it may have detected my weight, then hers. I don't get it. Maybe her purse was on the passenger seat, I dunno.

Mercedes-Benz has the same problem a lot.. the common fix is recalibrating the seat with a special tool that designates a human being (three weights that total up to 130lbs?).. if the recal doesn't work, then the weight sensing control module has to be replaced. But that's mercedes.. i don't know if subaru is as stupid as german engineering

[SIZE=2]Subaru is aware of the issue and has a "fix" for it. They've determined its a defective hinge spring for the seatback recliner handle. Theres a repair kit which has a new spring, hinge cover, and clips. I dont understand how they've determined that the spring is the culprit, but im no engineer.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Jim[/SIZE]

[quote name='impostor'][SIZE=2]Subaru is aware of the issue and has a "fix" for it. They've determined its a defective hinge spring for the seatback recliner handle. Theres a repair kit which has a new spring, hinge cover, and clips. I dont understand how they've determined that the spring is the culprit, but im no engineer.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Jim[/SIZE][/QUOTE] Correct and you can find the TSB here: [url=http://www.TheL7.com]HERE[/url]

[quote name='impostor'][SIZE=2]Subaru is aware of the issue and has a "fix" for it. They've determined its a defective hinge spring for the seatback recliner handle. Theres a repair kit which has a new spring, hinge cover, and clips. I dont understand how they've determined that the spring is the culprit, but im no engineer.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Jim[/SIZE][/quote] I've notice my front passenger's seat belt light is on and chiming right after my fat ass friend step out of the car...and i clearly remmeber the only thing he did to my car was right when he sat down, he adusted the seat all the way back and reclined the seat backward a lot. So according to that, i stood out of my car and adjust the seat back to it's normal way b4 he was in the car...and then it was fine again. I believe the sensor under the seat somehow get jamed up when the seat is reclined

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 1 year later...
I've notice my front passenger's seat belt light is on and chiming right after my fat ass friend step out of the car...and i clearly remmeber the only thing he did to my car was right when he sat down, he adusted the seat all the way back and reclined the seat backward a lot. So according to that, i stood out of my car and adjust the seat back to it's normal way b4 he was in the car...and then it was fine again.

I believe the sensor under the seat somehow get jamed up when the seat is reclined

I just had the same problem with no fix. A large co-worker got into my passenger seat and slid it back hard. My air bag light came on and the dreaded chiming started. I slid the seat up and back to check the wiring. Still no fix. Has anybody had both the chime and air bag light come on.

I just had the same problem with no fix. A large co-worker got into my passenger seat and slid it back hard. My air bag light came on and the dreaded chiming started. I slid the seat up and back to check the wiring. Still no fix. Has anybody had both the chime and air bag light come on.

Large passengers can uncalibrate the seat...

Turn the key on, slide the passenger seat all the way back, then tilt the seat back all the way back, then back to its's upright position. Then slide the seat forward all the way, let it lock and then put it back in it's normal position. Turn off the key and then start the car, the lights should be off. If not...see your local dealer.

I had a legacy come in a while ago w/ the same problem, I ended up changing the lower seat frame, so you may need a new one. Some fault in the sensor(s) They cannot be replaced separately, so the whole frame w/ sensors has to be changed.(occupant detection sys.)

I just had it looked at. The occupant detection system control unit is not working. $1200 to fix. Luckily the chime disable has finally worked for me. I had to listen to it chime because this system was not responding. Buckling the passenger belt did not help. Now that chime is something to complain about. Unless SOA pulls through, I won't be getting it fixed for a while and I just hope I don't get in an accident with a passenger in the car.

I had a legacy come in a while ago w/ the same problem, I ended up changing the lower seat frame, so you may need a new one. Some fault in the sensor(s) They cannot be replaced separately, so the whole frame w/ sensors has to be changed.(occupant detection sys.)

Archived