LegacyGT.com

GT or 3.0???

Sooooo,

Back again..My end goal is something reliable and fun to drive. Not too much of a 'modder', maybe some springs, new wheels and that's about it...I think.;) Definitely 2007-2009, that I do know. My budget is 17ish, trying to stay under 20k with taxes, title, etc. So what is the consensus? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve

GT of course! I don't think you'll get too many saying go for a 3.0. Love my 07 GT, but my 13 3.6R is just as nice in a different way. Both have good power, but the turbo on the GT is nice when it kicks in ;)

If you don't plan on modding, I am sure you would be happy with the 3.0. GT will be a bit harder to find with lowish miles and a decent price, but they are out there. I had no plans on modding mine, but since I have the 3.6 also that has gone out the window. 75k, about time for more power.

Evey time I pull up to the dealer with my GT for an oil filter or something, the sales guys always look. Even the sales guy that sold me the 3.6 kept asking if I was trading that in. There he mentioned there was a copper colored (I believe) Spec B coming in, but one of the sales guys already has dibs on it.

If you go with the GT see about service records, when the turbo was replaced (if) and make sure you are on top of your oil changes. Also make sure to get it inspected, compression test, etc...

Drive both and decide. :) I say go with the GT.

You gotta go GT. I was on the fence like you but as gimpy dingo stated when the boost kicks in it is a blast. I'm not a modder either. It took me a while but I found a 2010, certified used with 28k for 20k. I know that is right at your budget but the lower the miles and if you can get factory warranty still that is the way to go. You just never know how someone treated it.

I still have factory bumper to bumper until September and full power train until 100k. So I'm not concerned. Just don't get in a hurry and research. 2005-2009 they have turbo issues with the banjo bolt screen, turbos getting fried. That is why I was wanting to stay with 2010 or 2011. But you can have that simply replaced for reassurance if a 2005-2009 is what you desire. They do look SWEET!

I had a 05 jdm 2.0 turbo 5mt, great car!,engine output was capped at the factory 207kw.

I also drove a 3.0 5eat, and I have to say it was also a great car, the auto gearbox was the equaliser, but the 2.0gt mt was way more fun to drive:).

I don't know if you guys got the 2.0gt engine in the usa, but it picks the revs up much faster(and has a higher rev limit)than the 2.5 ,but has less torque.We only got the 2.5 engine in the legacy here in NZ from 2007, and a lot of people who bought one with 6mt thought it was slower!, but they just wer'nt used to the slower pickup of the 2.5, they were more or less the same, just a lot of people thought bigger must be quicker.

(although after I drove a 3.6 that last statement may not apply!)

If you want the manual, the GT is the only choice. The GT is going to obviously be the sportier of the two, but as a used car, it has a higher chance of having been abused/beat on. I'd go with the GT, but you need to be careful and get it checked out (compression test, etc.) before going that way.

(for Mondo, we haven't had the 2.0GT recently - when they brought the turbo back to the GT in '05 it was the 2.5 - maybe that will change with the new 2.0DIT... who knows - currently, (for MY13 and MY14) there is no LGT in the USDM lineup)

As an owner of both. Do your wallet a favor and get the 3.0R. Fun to drive, super comfy in Limited trim. Less things to mod (more money in your wallet).

You will be happy either way.

I would be interested in knowing the insurance costs of both and the differences.

Also, depending on the year of 3.0R it will require premium fuel.

the insurance on a GT is no more than any other legacy model, at least for state farm it's not. I called to verify when I was thinking of selling my 2.5i for a GT and it was like 10 bucks different (less because it was a year older). Insurance companies don't view the GT as a "racecar" like they do with the STi and just see it as any other legacy.

Archived