LegacyGT.com

Tough Carpet Cleaning Issue

DogLeggGT

Howdy. I have some adhesive from duct-tape backing that has worked its way in the carpet in my car. I've looked in forum for suggestions and dont' see anything that might help with such a tough cleaning problem. Any suggestions?

You may want to search or ask over at autopia.org where there are a bunch of detailing fanatics. In theory, something like WD-40 would work at removing the duct tape adhesive, and then use regular carpet cleaner/shampoo to remove the WD-40. I haven't tried this, so would recommend you try out on some carpet scraps first.

Try "Goo gone". Its a citrus based cleaner and should do the job. Just apply it to a clean cloth and rub it into the affected area and let it sit for a while while it dissolves the adhesive. After awhile dab away whatever residue you can and then follow up with a good quality carpet cleaner.

I think the active ingredient in Goo gone is citronella oil, so unknown if residual oil will stain lighter color carpets. If this is the case, follow up the Goo gone application with"Spot Shot". I think that it contains a low concentration chlorinated solvent that may be just enough to remove the residual oils while not dissolving your carpet fibers.

Good luck, I have my fingers crossed for yah!

could also try a can of canned air. turn it upside down and spray. we used to use it in hotels to get gum off the carpets. it froze the gum making it easier to get out.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Try "Goo gone". Its a citrus based cleaner and should do the job. Just apply it to a clean cloth and rub it into the affected area and let it sit for a while while it dissolves the adhesive. After awhile dab away whatever residue you can and then follow up with a good quality carpet cleaner.

I think the active ingredient in Goo gone is citronella oil, so unknown if residual oil will stain lighter color carpets. If this is the case, follow up the Goo gone application with"Spot Shot". I think that it contains a low concentration chlorinated solvent that may be just enough to remove the residual oils while not dissolving your carpet fibers.

Good luck, I have my fingers crossed for yah!

Goo Gone is some pretty fantastic stuff. I was rolling around under a large truck doing some work and ended up getting a few globs of heavy machine grease on the hood of my jacket and never noticed. Got in my car and smeared it all over the head rest and upper back of the seat. Looked HORRIBLE. Goo Gone cleaned every last bit of it out and didn't leave any stains or marks. Needless to say I was very happy considering my car was only two months old at the time.

edit: Very important. This was Charcoal leather, not cloth seats!

Nice. I knew about Goo Gone, but didn't have any experience with its efficacy. I'll probalby get around to trying out these suggestions in a week or so when more time frees-up. Probably try the carpet cleaner first and then the Goo Gone for residual (of course I'll test it on a small portion first for colorfastness :cool:)

Archived