LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control Failing

GoSix

So this is a bit of an odd problem. When driving on the highway with cruise control engaged, it will disengage randomly and not let me re-engage it. The "Cruise" light stays on, but the "Set" light turns off. Then it is a coin toss on whether or not it will let me re-set the cruise. Has anyone seen this problem...before I take it in to have the service guys tell me I'm an idiot when they can't figure the problem out? Key points: Not that gear or MPH really matters, but I have seen this problem, for example, at ~70mph in 5th gear. I don't touch anything but the steering wheel, and my feet don't accidnetly hit the cluth or brake. It is totally random when it disengages, could be 1 minute, or it could be 10 minutes after cruise speed is set. :evil:
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps it's a clutch switch/brake switch problem. Sounds like the ECU isn't detecting any problems, since the set light just goes away. There's not much to the Legacy's cruise control, since it's throttle-by-wire, so you figure the ECU would detect a software glitch. I guess it's time to get under the dash with an ohmmeter and test the switches..

Update... So, a little more background. 2 days after I bought the car (Sept. 13), the CEL lit up for no apparent reason while I was driving. The service guys said it just gave garbage for the trouble codes; so they just reset it and all was fine. It just happened again last night (Sept. 19). I'm trying that CEL code reader method in [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3022[/url] When I get that working, I'll let you know what I get for the code. I bet my cruise control not working and the CEL lighting up again are related. I must point out that the cruise control was not working BEFORE the CEL lit up. I know that the cruise control will never work when the CEL is on.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

I just took a 450 Mile Roadtrip to OBX and had the problem travelling through I 68 in MD. The cruise would randomly disengage repeatedly. When it first happened I thought that I had inadvertently done it myself but then I realized it was happening w/o iput from me. It should note the elevation was pretty high and changed often by several hundred feet, so perhaps that was part of it. Once I got into DC I was there was no more sense in using my cruise, alas the beltway was upon me.

It seems like your neutral lock out switch my be the contributing culprit. That was on my list of "check" things in addition to the clutch and brake switch adjustment (fore/aft sensitivity) above your individual pedals. It's possible that one or both of them are right at the disconnect point so all it takes is a minor vibration from either the brake or the clutch pedal and your get a disengage situation. Good luck and keep us posted. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...
OK, I have to admit I have never had this looked into yet. I've been really busy with school and work so getting over to the dealer can be a real hassle. However, after traveling extensively last week, this problem with the cruise is really starting to get to me. It keeps disengaging, I attempt to immediately rengage it and it immeditately disengages. I'm going in today for my 15K service guess I'll mention it to the dealer then. I really dont have time to sit at the dealer all day. I'll post if I find out anything.

That's exactly what it sounded like, either that or the clutch pedal switch. Either one, if adjusted too far outward, can give you this symptom. As the pedal jiggles up and down, the switch cuts off the cruise. Seen it in many cars and trucks. Same symptom. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My car is at the dealer right now regarding this problem. They tell me they can find no problem, and that they can not get the cruise to disengage itself. They tell me that the switches are set to speficication. Any ideas? I mentioned to them how others have had problems and how they were solved. They tell me they are going to contact SOA regarding this problem to see if they know anyything about. This blows. Joe

[url="http://subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=4340&sid=0eb799eb183c0a8b1b60bc45ec29f4ed"]http://subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=4340&sid=0eb799eb183c0a8b1b60bc45ec29f4ed[/url] many people have experienced the same symptoms (myself included) with forester xt. check out the link...

I have a Subaru Outback 2.5i, done about 10,000km (Canberra, Australia). My car is at the dealer right now being checked for the same cruise control problem. Whilst unhappy to have a problem with the car, it makes it slightly reassuring to read the comments on this forum. Since it the cruise control only seems to disengage intermittently, I am sure to hear from the mechanic that "there's nothing wrong"... :(

• 4 weeks later...
Any body have any resolution with this problem yet? Its continuing to annoy the crap out of me. I get hopping mad every weekend when I go on long drives. Last night it started about 15 mins into my 1.5 hr drive and the cruise disengaged continuously the entire way home. I pulled off and killed the ignition for about 1 minute but that did nothing to stop it. I've been working really long hrs and it really hard for me to get my car to the dealer. I ve got nearly 20K miles already only 5 months in. I know that if I dont get this resolved soon its gonna fall back on me to pay for it. Any updates are appreciated. Cheers, Joe I really like this car except for a few small things. And the creaks and rattles I'm hoping those go away with warmer weather

Archived