LegacyGT.com

Leather Seats

I am not sure if anyone is aware or have paid attention to the leather on their car, but I have a question. So, I bought a Subaru Legacy about 2.5 months ago. The car has about 1.3k miles on it. One day, after driving the car to and from San Francisco (a total of about 2 hours), I noticed that there are wave mark-like creases on the driver's seat, including the passenger seats on the back. I can understand that the wave marks on the leather seats are created by tension of the leather, or from a heat from a person's body (as stated by Subaru Dealer.) I asked if there's any way to get rid of the marks. I was informed that only the sun can get rid of it, but it may take months or never at all. As a Subaru lover, I am frustrated at this situation. I expected more out of a company and brand that I love. How can Subaru lack quality?

I cannot understand why there are creases on the seats when I only have the car for just two months. I have included a picture link below for an example. See the wave-like creases?

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is it normal? I know each car varies with what kind of leather brand Subaru uses.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/2011-mustang-talk/140798d1318004951-premium-leather-seat-wrinkled-already-dsc00659.jpg

Pardon my n00b-ness, but isn't this just a result of the leather stretching when you sit on it? I always assumed that's just what happens. Obviously when you get out of the seat, it will be slightly over-stretched. I would think if you let it sit for a while (maybe that's what they meant by the sun) it might tense back up, but I assume there is going to be SOME, to use an engineering term, 'plastic' deformation that will be permanent?

The picture that I took myself doesn't appear bad, but of course, it doesn't look as bad as the blue accent picture above. I don't want to drag this on, because I believe you are right. I believe this happens to any leather; however, it disappoints me.

I really want to find a way to get rid of the wave marks. It's especially hard for the sun to hit on the seat since my windows are tinted. Ahhh, I guess I have to accept this tragic event, haha. Thank you for your opinion.

I think, quite frankly, that a bit of what you are referring to looks good. It makes the seat appear more plush and comfy and makes it look like real leather and not fake plastic. As an OCD person myself, I can understand wanting it to look like it does when it's new - perfectly smooth with no wrinkles - but realistically, I don't think that's possible with leather, and you should just try to accept it as that's what leather looks like. It's not a defect, it's the "feature" you get with leather!

All I can say is that after having the opportunity to compare the leather of many many cars over the years, I would place the quality of Subaru leather in the bottom 50% of quality. There are a lot of ways to cut corners when building a car and Subaru seems to have chosen carpets and upholstery as one of the ways they have cut corners in theirs. Oh, that and paint. It isn't the worst of either that I've seen, but it ranks down there with some pretty poor examples of leather. It definitely rates down low in terms of paint quality too. Not as much orange peel as others, but damn it is soft freaking paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 weeks later...
Drove a new Mazda Miata that had leather seats that were so tight you could bounce a nickel on them. They never got any of those marks HOWEVER, they were incredibly uncomfortable, not to mention quite slippery and impossible to stay on in "spirited driving". Leather is supposed to age and shape itself to the user in furniture/seats. At least the foam underneath is good quality, unlike the Mazda, which was like sitting on a chunk of 2"x8".

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your kind response JmP6889928. You make me feel happier with my Subaru purchase. All I can say is, over time, the sun has harden the leather seats, somewhat, back to normal. I can only accept that it is what it is for how the leather seats is, depending on what kind of leather I have. Other than the quality, the seat is very comfortable to sit on.

I was concerned as well when I got the car new... I called them butt dents ;)

Whatever... leather stretches, the seats are comfortable and I can't see it when I sit in them...

But like OCD said, the leather isn't the best. There isn't that much leather in the car anyway... It's just leather seating surfaces. All of the bolsters and such are leatherette.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Magic Marker, you are right. Thank you OCD, and everyone else for your opinion about this. Gah, sometimes, I wish I had chosen the non-leather seats instead, lol. Oh well.

Happy New Year my fellow forumers.

• 2 weeks later...

No man, fabric seats suck, they will smell over time and are easily stained.

Coming from a JDM civic with leather, I must agree with an above post that the leather and interior upholstery is not the best - but leather beats cloth anyday :)

Archived