LegacyGT.com

Squeaky Clutch Pedal?

They'l try to just lubrify it but insist to have the squaky clutch switch replaced because lubrifying is just a temporary fix and it comes back very fast.

If they say they want to lube it, just tell them you already had it lubed by another dealer and it came back the same day. At this point, unless they're complete assholes, they'l change it.

I had the Squeeky Clutch Syndrome, too. It is basically wearing itself down. They lubed mine as well and I noted a few days later that the squeek was back. Dealer stated "... it's Houston's humidity so give it a change." But they knew the deal ... it was going to have to be replaced.

Here's what to do: Next time at the dealer, take the service advisor to the show room or out to a new model on the lot. Demonstrate to them that your clutch doesn't feel like this anymore. When I did that, my advisor said at that moment, "... Yep, we need to replace your clutch. Let me write this up and get your loaner prepared." It was obvious the clutch had to be replaced but I really didn't know until I checked for myself since you adapt so much to your car in everyday driving. I just hit 30k miles at that point.

I had the Squeeky Clutch Syndrome, too. It is basically wearing itself down. They lubed mine as well and I noted a few days later that the squeek was back. Dealer stated "... it's Houston's humidity so give it a change." But they knew the deal ... it was going to have to be replaced.

Here's what to do: Next time at the dealer, take the service advisor to the show room or out to a new model on the lot. Demonstrate to them that your clutch doesn't feel like this anymore. When I did that, my advisor said at that moment, "... Yep, we need to replace your clutch. Let me write this up and get your loaner prepared." It was obvious the clutch had to be replaced but I really didn't know until I checked for myself since you adapt so much to your car in everyday driving. I just hit 30k miles at that point.

Which parts of the clutch did they have to replace? Just this switch? Or the slave cylinder? Or the entire apparatus (clutch plate, throw out bearing, pressure plate....)?

If it's just the squeaky pedal switch, here's how I fixed it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16343&page=2&highlight=clutch+pedal+squeak

Last post:

Turns out the clutch starter interlock switch is the cause. There are 2 switches on the clutch pedal; it's the top one, and contacts the clutch pedal when the pedal is almost all the way down. The other switch is for disengaging the cruise control.

I removed it, and the squeak disappeared. I sprayed lube down the plastic shaft of the switch and re-installed, and it's still quiet. If it reappears, I'll buy a new switch.

It's stayed quiet for 20k miles now.

Would this be part of the basic warranty or powertrain? I've avoided taking mine in because I'm at 40k miles. I suppose I could give the dealership a call and ask...

Ultimately though, is it really a problem? Will leaving the squeak alone cause damage, or just be annoying?

Well, after two trips to the dealer (1 to diagnose, 2 because they didn't have a replacement switch in stock), my clutch pedal still squeaks and drags. :mad:

Did they replace the defective switch with another defective switch? Or does anyone know of something else that could be causing these symptoms.

• 2 years later...
If it's just the squeaky pedal switch, here's how I fixed it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16343&page=2&highlight=clutch+pedal+squeak

Last post:

Turns out the clutch starter interlock switch is the cause. There are 2 switches on the clutch pedal; it's the top one, and contacts the clutch pedal when the pedal is almost all the way down. The other switch is for disengaging the cruise control.

I removed it, and the squeak disappeared. I sprayed lube down the plastic shaft of the switch and re-installed, and it's still quiet. If it reappears, I'll buy a new switch.

It's stayed quiet for 20k miles now.

Reviving an old thread.

Looks like the upper switch is the culprit for me too. I just tried to spray grease up at it from down below but even with a mirror, it's a bit tricky. It's quieted down now but I'm sure it'll come back.

Any tricks to removing the switch? Looks like a 14mm nut on the shaft? I tried it briefly and after finding it felt pretty tight, just sprayed it where it was. I don't think enough grease will work it's way into the switch shaft for it to remain quiet long term which will likely necessitate another go at removing it to lube it more thoroughly.

Looks like the upper switch is the culprit for me too. I just tried to spray grease up at it from down below but even with a mirror, it's a bit tricky. It's quieted down now but I'm sure it'll come back.

Any tricks to removing the switch? Looks like a 14mm nut on the shaft?

Unless you can get one of the lube straws into the switch, you have to take the switch out. Just make sure you loosen only the nut holding the switch in place, the other one adjusts the position of the switch. if it's tight, use more oomph. It'll come out. :)

Mine is still quiet, the car has 47-ish k miles now. Sometimes it has the slave cylinder creak, but I can't hear that inside the car, I'll tackle that when it's warmer outside.

Not sure how long my application will last, but I was able to get it silent with a few squirts from a can of spray lithium grease. Judiciously applied, I think it will drip into the shaft of the switch.

If/when it comes back, I'll remove it and pack it full of grease by hand ;)

I could see a bunch of grease on the main spring at the firewall that the dealership must have applied one time I had the car in for the squeak. They must have thought that spring was the culprit... So nice to have these forums and be able to figure it out correctly :D

has anyone taken a pic of this switch so i can try and locate it without having to remove the clutch pedal?

and where'd you guys get a spray can of lithium grease? i checked advanced auto and they didnt have any compressed cans, just a tube of grease.

has anyone taken a pic of this switch so i can try and locate it without having to remove the clutch pedal?

and where'd you guys get a spray can of lithium grease? i checked advanced auto and they didnt have any compressed cans, just a tube of grease.

You don't have to remove the clutch pedal. You do have to take down the plastic panel under the dash.

See the attached pdf for the clutch switch layout. Search for and download the "vacation pics" if you want the whole manual. Highly recommended.

I got lithium grease at Pep Boys. No clue why Advanced wouldn't have it.

11 - Clutch Switch.pdf

Is this the issue that everyone else is having or had:

This is what is going on with my car right now....

There are 2 noises that I know about. The squeak that I've been talking about is not serious, it's just annoying, it comes from the switch above the pedal. Really high pitched, it's only heard inside the car.

The video seems to be the other noise, in the slave cylinder/release arm area. It's heard outside the car louder than inside. More of a creak or groan. My car has this sometimes, haven't fixed it yet.

• 5 years later...

Wow, that was a lot of work! Reviving this thread to say "Thanks!" and add a few pointers.

1. Very awkward body position to work on this. My aches have aches!

2. You pretty much have to remove the lower sensor to get to the upper sensor. I lubed both to be on the safe side, as my squeak had two phases and tones. Getting the lower sensor back in place was a PITA. Alignment was complicated in that I really couldn't contort myself in such a way as to use both hands. I ended up holding the sensor body in place with a crescent wrench and worked with my right hand on the blind side of the sensor support to get the nut on the bolt of the sensor. Took a while to get it right.

Good news is, squeak is greatly reduced. Hopefully, it will hold as long as yours. Mine didn't show up until ~120k miles, so who knows how worn the sensor is at this point.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 months later...

Archived