LegacyGT.com

Uppipe/downpipe/exhuast

DW1324

I'm a noob here. I have some questions about uppipes, downpipes and exhaust. I've searched the fourm's but have had a hard time locating the info, at least something that makes sense to me. I have a completely stock 2008 Subaru Legacy GT 5mt. I want to install all of the above.

So far from what little I know, I have chosen a magnaflow cbe, a hks uppipe, and the ERZ catted downpipe. Is that a good setup? Is there any quality issues with those choices? Would I fail emissions? What kind of gaskets would I have to replace? Is this a project I could do my self without a lift? Sorry I suck at this game hopefully you guys can help.

Thanks.

i do not own any of those parts but you are overpaying for an up pipe. there are other options that are far less expensive.

Will you pass emissions, yes you should.

I got the Grimmspeed 22% thicker gaskets for all necessary gaskets. They sell a kit that has everything u need.

Yes you can do it by yourself if you have basic tools, pb blaster, jack stands and a weekend to do it. If it is you first time ever wrenching, research on here for walk throughs and plan how you want to attack it. Label all your bolts/nuts so they go back where they are supposed to.

GET A TUNE AFTER thats the most important part otherwise your car will run like crap

Read, enjoy:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/begin-modifications-your-legacy-gt-19037.html

And as sacto said, you don't need an UP. But with a DP you WILL need a tune. Either an AccessPort, or a Tactrix cable and custom opensource tune.

You don't NEED a catback either. Not really a restriction until you start making huge power. Only reason you would get it right now is for added noise.

I'm a noob here. I have some questions about uppipes, downpipes and exhaust. I've searched the fourm's but have had a hard time locating the info, at least something that makes sense to me. I have a completely stock 2008 Subaru Legacy GT 5mt. I want to install all of the above.

So far from what little I know, I have chosen a magnaflow cbe, a hks uppipe, and the ERZ catted downpipe. Is that a good setup? Is there any quality issues with those choices? Would I fail emissions? What kind of gaskets would I have to replace? Is this a project I could do my self without a lift? Sorry I suck at this game hopefully you guys can help.

Thanks.

Like they said, sell your UP since yours is already catless and it is not the most simple to install.

Not sure of your mechanical abilities, but plenty of people install these parts without a lift. Jackstands/ramps work fine.

You may need a 3"->2.5" adapter since the ERZ is a full 3" DP and the Magnaflow has a 2.5" taper at the flange.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. So on that note I have one more question. I know the Cobb ap comes with preloaded tuning maps. Is there any preloaded maps I could use with the dp and cbe , or would I need to get a new custom map? Thanks again.

You can use the stage 2 maps that come on the cobb ap, but a better option for you would be a custom map. Try contacting member infamous1 for more info on that. As well, if you haven't bought the AP yet, consider open source tuning. It will save you some money. I know infamous1 can tune for either direction you go.

Well just an update. I ordered a cobb ap, a catted erz downpipe and a GMS cbe. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for your guys help again! Looking forward to greasing up the muffler bearings:lol:

Archived