LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light and Cruise Control light Flashing

sooby

I have an 05 LGT 5 speed I bought it in Early June with 42k and the car is clean. Always synthetic oil changed at dealer every 5k with complete history.

In late June I bought the cobb AP and uploaded the stage 1 MAP 93 octane. I always put 93 octane in the car and never had a problem.

Last night I drove the car to a friends place with no problems. On the way back I got a check engine light and the cruise control light started flashing at me. I tried to engage the cruise control but that didnt work.

I have no idea what caused this problem as my driving habits have been pretty consistent. These past 2 weeks, however, I have only been driving the car only every 2 or 3 days but I highly doubt that causing my problem. Thank you in advance for you all of your help. I am very appreciative.

part of the reason all those lights are on is because its in a sort of "safe mode".

it happened to me the other day because i threw a code for low coolant temp. mutltiple lights come on and cruise is disabled to basically tell you to get it looked at asap by taking away some functionality.

in some cars you can ignore a cel, but your less likely to do it if you cant use your cruise too.

in my 07 i cant switch to si mode either. sorry for the long post. just get it looked at asap.

You have an AP right? Use the diagnostics on it to pull the CEL code and let us know what it is, then we can help you better.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

oh dang I am actually away from home and my AP for the next 2 weeks ( I go back labor day weekend) should I just not drive my car at ALL in the meantime? Can I go to autozone / advance for them to run a free diagnostic scan? Oh man now I am getting super worried. I guess I wont know how bad it is really though until I get the CEL CODE and post it up here. Thanks mdzowner and azp installs for your help !!!

Where are you? Perhaps someone local has a code reader? Autozone should work too.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Ok i just got back from autozone and the code came back as p1518 on google it says starter switch circuit low input. what does that mean? Some other sites say that it is an idle air control IAC or could be Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle speed Control? Any idea on what the real problem is?

I did a search and found these direction to alleviate the problem but this is way over my head:

posted on:

09-05-2007

by member:

rc0032

P1518 -> CR:dTC P1518 STARTER SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

Step Check Yes No

1 CHECK FOR ANY OTHER DTC ON DISPLAY.

Is any other DTC displayed? Inspect the DTC

using “List of Diagnostic

Trouble

Code (DTC)”.

<Ref. to

EN(H4DOTC)(diag

)-69, List of Diagnostic

Trouble

Code (DTC).>

Go to step 2.

2 CHECK HARNESS BETWEEN STARTER

RELAY AND ECM.

1) Disconnect the connectors from starter

relay and ECM.

2) Measure the resistance of harness

between ECM and chassis ground.

Connector & terminal

(B135) No. 32 — Chassis ground:

Is the resistance more than 1

MΩ?

Repair the ground

short circuit

between starter

motor and ECM.

Repair the poor

contact in ECM

connector.

Thanks again for your help.

I would clean the battery terminals first.

IMO corrosion will cause low voltage.

How old is the battery ?

Could be time for a new one.

I replaced my oem battery at about 5 years. A good battery will last about 7 years. Most fail in the 5-6th year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would clean the battery terminals first.

IMO corrosion will cause low voltage.

How old is the battery ?

Could be time for a new one.

I replaced my oem battery at about 5 years. A good battery will last about 7 years. Most fail in the 5-6th year.

Great advice. Always start with the simple/inexpensive things and go from there.

A dead battery will cause lots of "weird" issues.

5 years is the max these batteries will last. I usually go with the Walmart "MAX" battery as a replacement. Inexpensive and if you need a free replacement (3 or 5 years replacement warranty) you are never too far from a Walmart.

-mike

I really wish it was the battery but I know the seller replaced the battery at the dealership right before I bought the car 3 months ago. The terminals are super clean too. Do I need a new starter or .. What exactly are the cables that connect the battery to the starter? If it is a low input to the starter I am thinking it could be because the cables/ connections is bad?

Thank you guys sooo much for the help. Any other ideas of what this p1518 code could mean?

I just had the same symptoms appear. It came up when I first started the engine after replacing the timing belt. I also had the radiator off, coolant drained, etc. The engine runs fine, but I'm looking for a way to identify and remedy the fault.

Perhaps a coolant level alarm?

I would start with this if you haven't already.

2 CHECK HARNESS BETWEEN STARTER

RELAY AND ECM.

1) Disconnect the connectors from starter relay and ECM.

2) Measure the resistance of harness between ECM and chassis ground. Connector & terminal (B135) No. 32 — Chassis ground: Is the resistance more than 1 MΩ?

Repair the ground short circuit between starter motor and ECM. Repair the poor contact in ECM connector.

Judging by that procedure it sounds like your bad connection issue could be at the starter itself.

Archived