LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

Well, it's 2010, and that means everyone with their 2005 Turbo LGT's need to get a Smog Test and Inspection this year. I couldn't find any threads out there to see what is an is not passing emissions and inspection.

• What mods do you have?
  • Where did you go for emissions/inspection?
  • Did you pass?
  • Other info...recommendations?

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I had my '04 FXT tested to sell it passed just fine with an unresonated catback exhaust and stage 1 tune.

I went to the little shop in Roseville on Harding Blvd.

I could have sworn it was only 5. They do have a funny clause though:

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2543

Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification

As I read it: If you bought your 05 Legacy in 04, that would count as a registration year. 04-09 would be your 6 registration years, requiring you to smog in 2010. If you bought your 05 Legacy in 05, you wouldn't have to till 2011.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Perfect thread... Had to do a title transfer on my stg 2 06 and I really really really don't want to take the DP off, stock DP back on, smog it, stock DP off, stg 2 DP back on. I think it will pass the sniffer test but not visual, am I screwed here people?

Perfect thread... Had to do a title transfer on my stg 2 06 and I really really really don't want to take the DP off, stock DP back on, smog it, stock DP off, stg 2 DP back on. I think it will pass the sniffer test but not visual, am I screwed here people?

I'm in the same situation. I'm hearing that if your DP is catted, the smog tech may miss that it's not OEM. I'm due in December, so I'll take it to a smog-only place and see what happens first. Otherwise I may do the double swap :(

I've heard you can pass with a catted dp, sniffer for sure, and visual is a probably.

Does anyone know if catless will pass CA smog?

Either way, I would recommend going to a place that offers a free re-check.

It's six years from sale. We had to smog the August '03 Protege5 in August 2009 and I will have to do the October '04 LGT this October.

Was your Protege 5 a 2003 or 2004 model year?

The smog check exemption provided in Health & Safety Code Section 44011 is supposed to apply to cars six model years old and newer, not six calendar years from initial registration.

§ 44011. Certificate of compliance or noncompliance; Exceptions

(a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for the following:

(1) All motorcycles until the department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to motorcycles.

(2) All motor vehicles that have been issued a certificate of compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding six months.

(3) All motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year.

(4)

(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), all motor vehicles four or less model-years old.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2005, all motor vehicles six or less model-years old, unless the state board finds that providing an exception for these vehicles will prohibit the state from meeting the requirements of Section 176© of the federal Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 7401 et seq.) or the state's commitments with respect to the state implementation plan required by the federal Clean Air Act.

© All motor vehicles excepted by this paragraph shall be subject to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the department, if any of the following apply:

(i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause a smog check test as specified in Section 44012.

(ii) The vehicle was previously registered outside this state and is undergoing initial registration in this state.

(iii) The vehicle is being registered as a specially constructed vehicle.

(iv) The vehicle has been selected for testing pursuant to Section 44014.7 or any other provision of this chapter authorizing out-of-cycle testing.

(D) This paragraph does not apply to diesel-powered vehicles.

(5) In addition to the vehicles exempted pursuant to paragraph (4), any motor vehicle or class of motor vehicles exempted pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 44024.5. It is the intent of the Legislature that the department, pursuant to the authority granted by this paragraph, exempt at least 15 percent of the lowest emitting motor vehicles from the biennial smog check inspection.

(6) All motor vehicles that the department determines would present prohibitive inspection or repair problems.

(7) Any vehicle registered to the owner of a fleet licensed pursuant to Section 44020 if the vehicle is garaged exclusively outside the area included in program coverage, and is not primarily operated inside the area included in program coverage.

(8)

(A) All diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to the 1998 model-year.

(B) All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, inclusive, until the department, in consultation with the state board, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to these vehicles.

© All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating from 10,001 pounds to 14,000 pounds, inclusive, until the state board and the Department of Motor Vehicles determine the best method for identifying these vehicles, and until the department, in consultation with the state board, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to these vehicles.

(D) All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,001 pounds or greater.

(b) Vehicles designated for program coverage in enhanced areas shall be required to obtain inspections from appropriate smog check stations operating in enhanced areas.

© For purposes of subdivision (a), a collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.

(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle's class and model-year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

(d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2010.

Based on that language, a 2005 model year vehicle that was initially purchased in 2004 should be exempt from smog checks until 2011.

Was your Protege 5 a 2003 or 2004 model year?

The smog check exemption provided in Health & Safety Code Section 44011 is supposed to apply to cars six model years old and newer, not six calendar years from initial registration.

Based on that language, a 2005 model year vehicle that was initially purchased in 2004 should be exempt from smog checks until 2011.

It's a 2003 (last year of P5), purchased brand new at AutoWorst. We definitely had to smog it last summer. I am expecting to get a "smog check required" this fall for the Legacy. No worries for me, the powertrain is stock.

-- Steve

^

If the DMV is using six years from initial registration instead of six model years of exemption as the statute states, then I'm going to have to hold off until I renew in August to go Stage 2. :(

Hmm...stating "six or less model years old", could refer to the release date of the model year. So the 2005 (model year) LGT was actually released in 2004 (actual year). F* I'm not a lawyer :p, I need a beer.

Hmm...stating "six or less model years old", could refer to the release date of the model year. So the 2005 (model year) LGT was actually released in 2004 (actual year). F* I'm not a lawyer :p, I need a beer.

Hell, I am a lawyer and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the DMV doesn't follow the state statute. :(

I've heard you can pass with a catted dp, sniffer for sure, and visual is a probably.

Does anyone know if catless will pass CA smog?

Either way, I would recommend going to a place that offers a free re-check.

catless will not pass smog, with my wrx I just put my dp back on and was able to pass. I had a turbo, catless uppipe and all the other parts you usually need. I only put my stock dp on and left the rest.

Failed today, they said the hydrocarbon level was over the limit which I was told is unburned fuel. I'm thinking it's my stage 2 tune and not the catted dp. What to you guys think if I flashed back to the stock map and retested? I'm going to email infamous and see what he thinks too.

-thanks

Little shack on Harding by good year called the smog shop I think. They didn't say a word about the DP and were pretty cool. I'm leaning towards the DP now since you said the AFR should be stock. Just not looking forward to changing it at all :(

That's the same place I go to. Isn't you DP wrapped? If so I'm surprised they didn't spot it. They gave me a bunch of crap when I took my old supercharged BMW in even though the SC kit was CARB legal. They were cool with all my other cars though. I'm contemplating taking my car in as is to see what happens. What was the measured HC and Max?

Why exactly do DP manufacturers feel the need to make DPs shiny stainless steel?

I would have paid an extra $100 for a catted DP that is made out of the same crap metal as the OEM. With a subaru stamp.

My plan is to remove the DP, leave my STI UP, flash to stg 1 (to suppress my UP O2 code), drive to clear out readiness codes, and get the car tested while hot.

Reverse and repeat.

My DP is shiny as shit and obvious to anyone.

Yep, DP is wrapped and I'm surprised they didn't mention it too. The hood must have been up for 2 minutes max so I don't think they really looked. Max HC was 148 at idle and 100 is the limit so I'm way over.

Archived