LegacyGT.com

Spring install problem... the bolt is stuck

vlad_b

I finally get to installing my STI Pinks on my Bilstein struts. The front and rear right went fast and without a problem.

The rear driver side bolt is stuck in the bushing. I spend whole Sunday trying to get it out, no luck, the bolt, the one that is on the lower side of the strut, is like welded to the metal piece that is in the rubber bushing. Pounding didn't help. I put everything back on and went to the shop on Monday. They tried airtools, and couldn't turn it with reasonable force. The guy asked me if I want to try more force at the risk of shredding the rubber insert, and I said no.

WHAT TO DO??? How to get that sucker out?

Did that. Compressed the spring quite a lot and raised the strut with a separate jack to level with the whole. The bolt was sliding freely out of the wheel hub/assembly but stuck dead in the strut. Pounding with considerable force didn't help a bit!!!

It slided out on the other side, and looked clean like new. No rust, nothing.

I was never able to get the bolt to slide out during dismantling, but it slides in easy when I put it back on.

To get the bolt out, I had to back and forth between turning it with the socket wrenches, and pushing/wedging it out with a flathead. i.e.: start of wedging the bolt out with a combination of a flat head screwdriver and wrenches for leverage, then when it doesn't come out anymore, switch to the socket wrench. Then when that stopped getting progress from turning it, I went back to wedging til it popped out.

How far out does your bolt get?

Leveling pressure with jack and pushing through the hole I can get it almoust all the way except last 1/2". The angle became to great at that point and it doesn't go any further no matter how much hammering.

It's glued to the strut though. I've been to two shops so far and those guys can't get it out either. If not for rubber heating it would help they say. As it is - they can't get it out.

The plan now is to push it from the wheel, cut the bolt, and then try to work on strut in vices. New bolt is already ordered ($12). But giving their luck of imagination and strict rules about customer on the floor( so I can't control what are they doing), I'm worried about outcome...

Archived