LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

just smogged mine, took my catless dp off. still had catless up pipe and a leak on the gasket before the turbo housing. i ran it on the freeway and got that cat real hot and left it running until he idled it on the machine. passed with flying colors. good luck guys

More info please;

Is there an EGT sensor in your up pipe still?

Did you leave a tune on it? or running stock program?

So they still did the sniffer test?

I'm waiting to hear who is going to experience the first full OBDII.

A lot of the change actually makes sense. CA needed to move away from the sniffer test because it didn't work on newer cars.

The old sniffer test required putting the car on a dyno, but this doesn't work for AWD or most vehicles with traction control. Since any clerk at an auto parts store can clear a code, we all know code checks don't work.

If this is actually implemented as described, it makes it easier on people who are Stage 1/2, who can simply swap to stock tune and pass. Anyone running significantly larger turbos/injectors will have problems.

Wow, did not see this coming.. I just passed in December, so I'm good to go for 2 years, but after that..

I did see one of the Q&A's for technicians said: "Q: Will a non-matching VIN cause a failed test"? A: Not initially, but maybe later. No indication of what "later" might mean.

I'm one of those who can't return to stock due to injectors, etc. Guess it might be time to sell while I still can.. :-( :-(

A lot of the change actually makes sense. CA needed to move away from the sniffer test because it didn't work on newer cars.

The old sniffer test required putting the car on a dyno, but this doesn't work for AWD or most vehicles with traction control. Since any clerk at an auto parts store can clear a code, we all know code checks don't work.

If this is actually implemented as described, it makes it easier on people who are Stage 1/2, who can simply swap to stock tune and pass. Anyone running significantly larger turbos/injectors will have problems.

just cause you " clear codes " doesn't mean there completely cleared from the ecu. obd 2 vehicles store a memory of the code being thrown and clear the code and the smog test station is gonna check the rediness monitors. if there not set, automatic fail. there gonna make you drive the car to set the 8 rediness monitors. and yes if theres anything wrong that light will kick back on.

yes they still do sniffer test, stock tune. no sensor on up pipe.

With the stock tune, didn't your car throw a code because of the missing EGT sensor in the up?

How did you get around that?

I have a stage 2 protune, that ignores data from that missing sensor.

If flash back to behave like stock won't it look for that sensor and throw a code?

With the stock tune, didn't your car throw a code because of the missing EGT sensor in the up?

How did you get around that?

I have a stage 2 protune, that ignores data from that missing sensor.

If flash back to behave like stock won't it look for that sensor and throw a code?

2.2 kOhm resistor works in place of the sensor. The computer just thinks the sensor is operating nominally.

I just got my 2005LGT wagon smog checked last weekend. I was on TDC Stage 1, but reflashed to stock a few months ago. The tech hooked up the ODBII, ran through the test sequence, and the test machine gave it a compete Pass. The tech also ran a visual inspection on the engine, verified the headlights are in working order, tested the gas tank for leaks, and checked tire pressure, and engine oil level.

Picture Gallery

• 2 months later...
its been a few months since anyone has posted on this thread, so has any one passed with bigger injectors recently? i got my renewal so i think im going to throw on the stock DP and keep my fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i got my car smogged and found out a few things. the parts i had to remove and make stock are downpipe, 3 port ebcs and bov. parts i could keep are turbo, injectors/pump, fmic, up pipe and stage 3 tune.

the law is very confusing with regards to a fmic. i went to about 6 shop until i could find one that would smog it. the page in their book is appendix G G7 12-09. thats where the paragraph about the intercooler is.

It says,

"Category I"

"Not necessary to check for CARB exemption"

"Gasoline- Intercoolers for original equipment (OE) turbochargers. (note: diesel intercoolers are in category II and do require verification of CARB exemption)"

so as long as your turbo is or looks stock you "should" be ok with a fmic.

as far as the new OBDII tests, i talked to two shops and they both said at the end of the year they will start that. i then asked if i had a tune would it pass the obdII test, he said no. he then said if i had one now it wouldnt pass the current test... so it sounds like he doesnt know considering i have a tune now and i passed.

as far as the new OBDII tests, i talked to two shops and they both said at the end of the year they will start that. i then asked if i had a tune would it pass the obdII test, he said no. he then said if i had one now it wouldnt pass the current test... so it sounds like he doesnt know considering i have a tune now and i passed.

So it sounds like you got the old-style test. I had no problems passing that with a tune..

• 3 weeks later...

Having a discussion on smog checkpoints over at Calguns.net in the off topic room. Poached this comment:

"Wtf you talking about?

I work at a smog shop. OBDII is plugged in for a rpm tach signal, also reads the ECU, checks for monitor ready status.

We have 2 ESP smogs machines. 1 old, and one brand new, newest version. Same as what the CHP uses. There is no way to read if you've had a reflash from the machine. Dealerships can access it and see that it's been flashed, but not a smog machine. No way it can read if the fuel tables have been adjusted ect."

Just got smogged. Took it to Smog n Go. Just the regular sniffer. In and out in under 10 minutes. ;) Quicker than other places I've been. Passed with uppipe, 16g, and tune from Shamar.