LegacyGT.com

Official Turbo Stutter Complaint Petition

OK, so we are all aware of what the problem is, and we are all tired of seeing a new thread about it. So why am I posting yet another thread in the general section when it really belongs in Warranty issues and there is a supposed fix for it coming down the lines?

Simple, it's annoying, it's unsafe. and it hampers the performance and fun of our cars. A fix may be in the works, but it is still a long ways out as it needs to go through federal emissions testing. Subaru of America is taking some complaints while outright refusing others claiming it to be turbo lag or driver error. Many forum members have recently started complaining to SoA and there are a few open confirmed cases but I do not think they realize how far spread this is and how many vehicles are affected. I'm posting it here for visibility. If a mod wants to move it to warranty and sticky it, then by all means please do.

I have created a petition, to submit your vehicle as an affected model simply enter your firstname, lastname, vehicle identification number, and case number if applicable. If you do take your case to SoA or your dealer later, you can come back and update your case number by filing the form out again. Duplicate VIN's will not be accepted without a case number.

The server is secure, and I will not use this information for any purpose other than to enlighten SoA on the issue at hand. I will however furnish the list to any member who has filled out the form with a valid case number and sends me a pm requesting a copy to present to the dealer or SoA. This list will only include the firstname and last initial, vin number and case number if applicable.

To submit your vehicle as an affected model please fill out the form at http://www.kristys.net/stewart/stutter/

Thanks to all who participate as it will help to expedite a fix for everyone.

-- Stewart

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make a poll then? I have seen it called anything and everything from hesitation, dip, cut out, studder, stutter, shutter. :spin:

Since stutter doesn't throw a spelling error, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. :)

I'm curious, could the stutter be caused by the unequal length headers/manifold? When you try to visualize the flow of exhaust it seems to make sense. Anybody have experience with equal length? I know you lose the rumble but no stutter is good too.

Take it easy baby, no need for this meanness. We should keep it peaceful, homeboy, Jesus!

mcrae.me/minecraft

facebook.com/mike.mcrae.me

twitter.com/mcraeme

Has anyone seen this worse in the cold than the hot weather. Warming up in the winter, I think I see it more than leaving for work during the summer. It does come out of it, but the low to moderate rpms do have the stutter.

As stated in the another thread, my 08 spec B with a little over 600 miles on it seems to be having this problem too. Guess I am going to have to make a stink about it. Where do I have to send an email too?

We only have 7 VIN's logged so far guys and one is for a 05 LGT (Michael M, please see http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254 for the 05 fix). One member has contacted me so far to take the list to Subaru on Saturday so lets spread the word and try to get some VIN's logged, I know more than 7 cars are affected.

Can a mod make a sticky and change the title?

Can we expand this to include 07 STI's too? Cause they have the same ECU's, and the same stutter problem, and we could get much better numbers if we post this on nasioc and clubwrx.

I would honestly say that you should start a different thread with that issue. SOA isnt going to mix the WRX/LGT problems. They are 2 different cars.

I get it on moderate to heavy acceleration in second and third. It has happened in fourth before, but not as often. Not to sound like a redneck, but if you watch nascar and the in car camera is on during slow time behind the pace car and they just mash the gas and the car sputters a couple of times before it just launches...that is what it is like on a little bit lesser horsepower acceleration. It is annoying, but it comes out of it.

Can we expand this to include 07 STI's too? Cause they have the same ECU's, and the same stutter problem, and we could get much better numbers if we post this on nasioc and clubwrx.
Since someone put a 05 in the database, rather than just checking the length and syntax of the VINs I decided I would validate them and only allow 07 and 08 turbo Legacys and Outbacks.

If there is a fix out there already available for the Impreza's then I do not see the point of making one for them, but if it would be worth while to duplicate the Legacy form for Impreza's I certainly would not mind doing so. I do agree with separating them out.

Is there a sure fire way to make the stutter happen?
Like was mentioned it is easiest to duplicate in 2nd and 3rd gears in Sport or S# modes. But it does happen in all modes and gears, 1st gear requires launching the car and it reaches redline too quick, and the higher gears require that you are going pretty fast. A simple way to do it is put the car in second and cruise at 3000, then just floor the car, when you start to get near 4000 rpm the revs will slightly drop and you will feel a short loss of power before the car gets back into boost. 05 models have already been confirmed and fixed, so you should be able to just take the car to the dealer to either flash it or replace the ecu. If you do not have the problem either your vehicle is unaffected or the previous owner has already fixed the problem.

I have sent yet a third email to SoA and not received a single response. Why is this car such a hassle for me? First the dealer, then RalliTek, then the tint shop, now SoA? Everything I do with the car seems because cause me trouble.

I got back from the dealer today and I went for a test drive with a technician, I made him drive. He did say he felt it, but he did not push the car like I would to get the full effect. Then the service manager drove the car alone. Im going back on Wednesday. Here is what is on the invoice today.

Cust states hesitation between 3000-4000 RPM

Found No Abnormal Hesitations, Shifting Seems Normal At This Time; Will Reccomend Customer Come Back So Master Technician Can Try Vehicle.

(Service manager stated this):

Found No Abnormal Hesitations, Shifting Seems Normal At This Time. Noticed A Hesitation But Its Normal For A

And that was all, I dont know what "But its normal for a" means....

Also I had some other warranty issues in which NONE of them were fixed, simple things too. All they ended up doing was an Oil Change. SOA will be in touch with me on Monday. I also gave them my case # from SOA.

Archived