LegacyGT.com

My Lovely Lil Email Thread with SOA about aftermarket...

gfxdave99

Kind of a long read...

My orig message to them --

Take a look at how extreme people have to go for an aftermarket stereo

in a Legacy GT, Honestly how *(@&(@& hard would it be to make a similar

part for the USDM market that would allow people to replace the a/c

controls and put in an aftermarket stereo. Did subaru forget that a large

porition of its owners are custom / tuner oriented? Did they think only

aftermarket stereos go into WRX's?

I found out about how difficult it was to upgrade the stereo ony after

i bought my 2005 lgt, if i would have known before.. i would have

bought something else.

Their response

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to

contact us. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its

customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a

clear picture of our products as seen by our customers.

We appreciate your suggestions for changes to our products. We have

taken the liberty of forwarding your suggestions to our Product Planning

Department for their possible consideration on future Subaru vehicles.

Input from our owners has been helpful in initiating changes to our

newer models. We hope to continually improve our products and we

appreciate your comments.

Many of today's newer vehicles are implementing integrated electronics

for the audio and HVAC controls to give the interior a cleaner more

upscale look. Subaru does extensive market research and analysis to

determine what features are in demand. Contrary to your opinion, the

majority of the Legacy market does not modify or add aftermarket audio

components. While we appreciate your opinion, basing it on feedback from

enthusiast forums may present a skewed representation of the Legacy

demographic. The enthusiast forums attract the enthusiasts and not the

average Legacy buyer.

We will certainly consider a kit in the future to accomodate the select

individuals who feel the need to upgrade the audio systems. Feel free

to contact us again in the future for any updates on availability.

If you have any further comments or should you need assistance in the

future, please contact our Customer Dealer/Services Department by phone

at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) or by email through our Web site '

Contact Us' section. Thank you for your comments.

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

My response...

You are missing the point. The point is that it wouldnt take all that much engineering to make a dual zone version of the JDM part that allows people to replace their stereos. In this day and age where even GM cars are starting to come with AUX in's for mp3 players and such, the fact that subaru is behind the times with satalite radio, mp3, bluetooth which all other luxury or psudo luxury brands have in all of their new cars. If subaru wants to be concidered a cutting edge or even a compeditive brand in the luxury market (which subaru is aiming for with the upper models of the legacy, outback and the tribeca) they need to accept and understand that technology is a huge selling point to the demographic they are selling these cars to. If subaru only wants to keep selling outback wagons to soccer moms and emm alternative lifestyles then keep doing what you're doing. But it will be limiting to Subaru as a company if they don't step up their willingness to keep up to date with technlogy. I've read up on Subaru's plans to increase sales in the coming years and I think they are seriously underestimating the value of some simple technologies that could easily be intergrated into their current models. (intgrated bluetooth, available mp3 on all models, ipod plug-in availablity, line input, easily upgradeable stereo) etc etc.. I mean if GM can have a line input on a freeking Colbalt, i think its sad that subaru cant have it on a 30,000USD car.

No word back yet.. :)

Please start writing SOA so that they know "The enthusiast forums attract the enthusiasts and not the average Legacy buyer."

LOL

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Legacy owners don't modify?

Their field research team needs a thorough explanation of what "Google" is!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Well when they reply you can tell them that even one of the "alternative lifestyle" folks you care to categorize also has a Clarion DRZ9255 that he would love to install into his Legacy GT Wagon cleanly. I too, wouldn't of bought the Legacy if I was aware of the situation in adding aftermarket stereo equipment to said car.

I find it interesting that they did actually respond with more than just a "form letter" response. As well as that we are considered the minority of legacy owners, haven't they learned with the WRX that we are the ones that help give the car it's name and build the following that manufacturers so long for?

Nice effort, but there's no point arguing with a public relations weenie. Let's face it, Subaru has ALWAYS been behind with audio systems ever since I can remember (I traded in my 97 Prelude with standard CD on a 2000 Outback with standard cassette -- and did a WTF when I had to add an upgrade just to get a single CD player). The fact that they're still behind the game in 2005 just doesn't surprise me. Subaru makes a great car, but they clearly don't put a lot of effort or thought into audio systems. Not having aux-in or iPod integration in 2006 models is just plain ridiculous -- they are totally missing the ongoing iPod "wave".

Well when they reply you can tell them that even one of the "alternative lifestyle" folks you care to categorize also has a Clarion DRZ9255 that he would love to install into his Legacy GT Wagon cleanly. I too, wouldn't of bought the Legacy if I was aware of the situation in adding aftermarket stereo equipment to said car.

I find it interesting that they did actually respond with more than just a "form letter" response. As well as that we are considered the minority of legacy owners, haven't they learned with the WRX that we are the ones that help give the car it's name and build the following that manufacturers so long for?

Well the lil voice in the back of my head says that maybe, just maybe if enough of us pester them about the same thing that maybe, just maybe it might get into the hands of someone who maybe, just maybe might have some say in product direction.. :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived