LegacyGT.com

Fram oil filter imploded!!!

I was changing the oil for the second time on this new car to me and what did I spy?

The filter walls were crushed inward. Makes a nice hourglass inside the filter and probably spreads pestilent death around the inside of the engine. Seems to run fine though so I will change oil in 500 miles to clear our the crap.

Pics of the inside of a very dark space are hard to get but you can see the shadows of the walls.

1764891992_P1000577small.jpg.f8414ae7b3534e758a9d7a1cee7687f2.jpg

159378898_sideimplodesmall.jpg.a4151bad81d54d3c559c41a4403a46cf.jpg

Yeah man, did you find a way to boost you oil system? That'd be sweet!

:)

Seriously though, Fram uses some shoddy construction practices. There are those on here who (rightly) decry the validity of statements about Fram due to the scarcity of filter-related engine problems. Nevertheless, there's a good reason they have a name for themselves as crap (on their low-end filters that is).

I'm a mechanic myself and one of the schools I went to had several filters opened up to look at the design and fram was the worst, wix was one of the best , I use amsoil filters they are a good design similar to wix

Bad filter construction combined with an oil that's too thick when it's cold.

There are a lot of filter manufacturers out there, and they vary depending on market too. Some manufacturers are prominent in Europe but unheard of in the US.

453747.png

I hear Frams Tough Guard and Xtra Guard filters are pretty good. Its the basic ones that are crap

I just did my first oil change on this car (23K) with Pennzoil Ultimate synthetic (Walmart was out of Platinum) and Mobil M-108 filter

^ I have used Fram's on Honda's which tend to run high oil pressure compared to domestics. Ran Fram's on my 340 Duster with a high volume pump.

Never had a problem. There's good and bad in everything.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I haven't had any trouble out of many Fram's. But I have noticed that the quality of things over the years has gone down. I have found that the price of oil filters from the Subaru Dealer isn't really that much different than Wal-Mart. Use your Subaru Bucks and it makes them pretty cheap.

Archived