LegacyGT.com

Info on OB to GT suspension geometry. (Removing spacer)

So i take it then as I can get legacy spec coilovers and be fine with an alignment?

Yes, it will be low but yes.

I chose to get the BC/BR coils with the outback specific cartridges.

That way if you want to go up or down you can.

Josh Nahum from Import Image can help you if you call him.

I would just put the coils on and not mess with the Outback "lift"

I am only doing it to get rid of all the spacers and have a bit more travel in the rear with the control arms that are shaped differently.

I would NOT do part of the spacer removal as you will affect the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff alignment.

The shifter and the cross member is not a problem at all with the coil overs as you are not changing the body lift, you are only changing the suspension ride height.

If you remove the body lift spacers for example in the cross member you are actually moving the transmission up closer to the body tunnel.

Totally different than the susupension at the corners.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it will be low but yes.

I chose to get the BC/BR coils with the outback specific cartridges.

That way if you want to go up or down you can.

Josh Nahum from Import Image can help you if you call him.

I would just put the coils on and not mess with the Outback "lift"

I am only doing it to get rid of all the spacers and have a bit more travel in the rear with the control arms that are shaped differently.

I would NOT do part of the spacer removal as you will affect the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff alignment.

The shifter and the cross member is not a problem at all with the coil overs as you are not changing the body lift, you are only changing the suspension ride height.

If you remove the body lift spacers for example in the cross member you are actually moving the transmission up closer to the body tunnel.

Totally different than the susupension at the corners.

So you are telling me i could juste lower my outback xt with legacy gt spec coil-overs get alignement and i'm done with it?

yes, you will be slightly higher due to the outback bodylift spacers. But the car will be fine. A lot of us are on a legacy GT suspension with the bodylift spacers still in.

cool thanks :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Scooby couldn't you just replace the UCA's to get more travel? From the pictures it looks like an inch or so.

JDMG3 How does the car feel with the new steering rack around town and on the freeway?

• 5 weeks later...
Scooby couldn't you just replace the UCA's to get more travel? From the pictures it looks like an inch or so.

Yea I have thought about that it might work. Anyone tried this?

I have the specB upper arms on mine. Even with the stock OBK bumpers I have yet to bottom out the suspension.

Edited by Danteneon
typo

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• Moderators
Ah, I thought they were referring to the stock bits. Ignore the Dante behind the curtain. :hide:

Just FYI, there are in fact spec.b rear upper control arms, but they are no different than stock LGT bits aside from being aluminum. LGT/spec.b rear UCAs do in fact differ quite a bit from OBXT rear UCAs (the latter being much bulkier and causing clearance issues with stock bumpstops on lowered cars.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Dante so you just changed the UCA and nothing else with the spec B aluminum arm.

What about the lowers?

The other reason to do this is moving the transmission, engine cradle etc more tucked up under the car for better handling

Also gets rid of that huge spacer where the front LCA mounts to the frame rail.

In the rear, I did the specB uppers (along with the specB shocks and LGT wagon springs of course) only. Everything else, including the jounce bumpers, is stock OBK. The front is all specB and spacers removed.

I am trying an experiment though...I have removed the subframe spacers in the front only. I know, I know..."your sh*t is going to blow!" I don't think it will have any real effect on the drivetrain, but I'm willing to risk it and see what happens on the long haul. By keeping the spacers in the rear, I don't have the pronounced saggy butt others do when using specB front upper strut mounts.

• 1 month later...
The parts can come from a Legacy sedan or wagon, any trim. The only thing that you want to get from the GT wagon would be the rear springs if you are going with stock-type struts.

In the rear, I did the specB uppers (along with the specB shocks and LGT wagon springs of course) only. Everything else, including the jounce bumpers, is stock OBK. The front is all specB and spacers removed.

I am trying an experiment though...I have removed the subframe spacers in the front only. I know, I know..."your sh*t is going to blow!" I don't think it will have any real effect on the drivetrain, but I'm willing to risk it and see what happens on the long haul. By keeping the spacers in the rear, I don't have the pronounced saggy butt others do when using specB front upper strut mounts.

Wouldn't spacers be a much safer choice?

waiting on a pm back about picking up OBXT suspension/brackets and .

never mind, saw the pm after i posted this :lol:

Edited by RooTBeeR
i dont pay enogh attention

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wouldn't spacers be a much safer choice?

Safer? Maybe. But I want to see if the slight difference in subframe heights really makes a difference. the only thing that changes in the way I did my setup is the driveshaft angle, and if it doesn't present a long term problem it may give us more options when lowering these cars.

Then again, I could just be crazy :lol:

I figured that's what you meant. Because leaving the spacers in is free (as long as it doesn't damage anything) and saggy butts cost money. That, and truth be told, I really want to see what happens. I know, it sounds like quite the gamble, but I'm not worried.