LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

• 1 month later...
Just clarifying, I did not see any rear bumpstops used with this install. Are they not needed with the Konis or just in general? Thanks.

Always use bump stops. In this case, the bump stops are on the trailing arm itself. If you look, you'll see them mid-way up on the body side of the arm.

HellaGT, the 5th gen does not have a bump stop on the upper arm like the 4th gen, use the one from the stock shock under the shock dust cover.

I'll just use whatever I have on the OEM rear strut. Installed the koni/RCE springs on the front so now the car sits with a substantial rake! Finishing the rear struts tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Edited by hellaGT

This walkthrough was written specifically for the 4th gen. The 5th gen* has the bump stop on the shock rod and it should be used with the Koni swap.

* I have seen some 5th gen diagrams that do not show the rear bump stop, so it is unclear if they phased it out at some point, or if it is only on certain trims.

• 2 weeks later...
Got these installed the other weekend - great write up! I referenced it countless times and allowed the installation to go very smooth. These struts are a really nice improvement over the worn-out stock units. They are definitely firm, but offer a much more controlled ride over the stock set up. I haven't really pushed them yet, but pot hole dodging they feel very responsive. I've got them coupled with the stock springs, and the softest setting has so far been my preference. I started with the one turn off full-soft and ran for a week or so. I'll keep making small changes to see if I find a better setting. Very glad I bought these!

`How do you like the stock springs with the Konis, I am debating on switching my Epics to stock. any feedback would be helpful

Used stocks for a year on track, no issues, just not as low as other springs. Definitely a good combination.

-mike

Thanks for the reply back Mike. I know with the epics and Konis the car is very planted. Not wanting to lose that. But being lowered in NYC sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the Epics certainly contribute to keeping the car level while accelerating, cornering, and braking, it is the shocks that really give it the "planted" feel. I recommend stock springs on Konis to all my customers who want a more buttoned down ride without beating the hell out of their kidneys over crappy roads. Suspenion travel is an important thing!

Thanks for the reply back Mike. I know with the epics and Konis the car is very planted. Not wanting to lose that. But being lowered in NYC sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I only noticed a slight difference between stock and STi Pinks on my 05 LGT when I had switched over to them. Nothing that a competent driver couldn't compensate for, even on the track.

-mike

`How do you like the stock springs with the Konis, I am debating on switching my Epics to stock. any feedback would be helpful

The other responses captured my thoughts exactly, but I'll still chime in. I did NOT want to lower my car when switching to the Konis. I do the occasional back road dash, and with the poor road condition in Michigan, suspension travel is important to me. I'm very happy with the stock springs on the Konis so far. As I mentioned previously, I started with them on one turn off full-soft, but switching to full-soft made the ride just about perfect. Definitely firmer than stock shocks, but still comfortable and controlled.

I had decided going into the strut swap that I wasn't going to replace the springs unless one was visibly damaged or noticeably worn out. The ride height ended up measuring the same F/R, and no damage was found, so the stock springs were reused. If I ever need to replace the springs I will go with Epics as they appear to offer the least amount of lowering compared to other options. Or I'll just buy a new set of stock springs.

• 3 weeks later...

Fml.

Today was the day to do my Koni/Eibach install. Got the car up in the air, started with the lower rear strut bolt.. And that's where I stopped. No amount of working on that bolt would break it free. 2ft breaker bar, POS harbor freight electric impact gun, Torch... Wouldn't budge.

So I guess ill have to take it to a shop and have them break the bolts free.

What a waste of a day. On the other hand, my brothers spring swap in his BRZ went without a hitch. Didn't even need a spring compressor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk