LegacyGT.com

Looking for some suggestions for a Boston trip

MattCPa

I am planning on taking the lovely lady to Boston in the May/June months. I know I want to take her to a Red Sox game, but other than that I'm mostly winging it.

So I figured I'd throw it out there, and see if any of you locals have any sneaky shit to see. I always like seeing what people who actually live in certain places recommend as far as eating/drinking/sight seeing. We like little cozy spots...places locals would frequent. I'm not trying to go all tourist, but I do plan on maybe checking out the historical stuff.

Also, any recommendations on hotels in the downtown area that are in a good spot but will not kill my bank account? I'd rather keep it in walking distance/public trans...I don't mind driving but the woman's nerves get all roused up!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to respond.

Touristy stuff... walk the freedom trail (good exercise, history, great way to see the city), take a duck tour (kinda cheesy, but good info/history/fun), dinner at Barking Crab (probably a bit overpriced, but good food and fun atmosphere).

Take a Duck Boat Tour. Must buy tickets for Duck Boat Tour in advance because they sell out. Do not expect to get tix to that on the day of or even week of.

Ace Ticket or Stub Hub for Sox tix. Don't know how sold out they are as of now, but I doubt you can get them from the Sox any more. Fyi ... take any Green Line train (except E) to Kenmore to get to the park. You do not have to go to the stop labeled Fenway. Besides the Fenway stop is actually farther from the park than Kenmore. Follow the crowd to the park. Boston Beer Works would be my pregame pub of choice, though there may be a line to get in there. Also notable ... Jerry Remy's, Baseball Tavern, Copperfields, Cask -n- Flagon.

Walk the Freedom Trail and stop off in the North End for dinner for the best Italian food you've had this side of Italy (see Internet for a specific recommendation or just wing it randomly. I have yet to pick a bad one based on looking at menus as we walk.) Freedom Trail includes Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere's house (N. End), Old North Church (One if by land ...). Also has USS Constitution if you want to take it all the way out to Charlestown. USS Constitution is a Revolutionary War era U.S. Naval ship and is still commissioned on active duty in the U.S. Navy. (They sail it once a year to maintain it's status.) It is the real deal. The Boston Tea Party ship is a replica and not nearly as cool.

And you know what. Barking Crab is fun too. Really, I have nothing useful to add to what pfoyle said. :D

Pretty easy to take the Red Line up to Hahvahd Squahe too. It's worth seeing. Couple interesting eateries as well. The Middle East is a Cantabrigian rite of passage as a place to go see live music ... Central Square on your way back from Harvard Square.

Cheers is dumb.

when in doubt, and with a lady friend....do not hesitate, do not collect your $200 when crossing go...make sure you go to the north end and buy her SOMETHING from Mikes Pastry in the North End. Faneuil Hall is right near the North End as well its a good place to walk around. Boston unlike many bigger cities is a walking city at heart......

Archived