LegacyGT.com

95 legacy lsi help

i just picked her up for 1500 dollars she starts right up and shifts fine. 225k miles and an auto tranny. But she is getting terrible gas mileage! 125 miles and already on a half a tank! here is what i have done so far to the car it was thrashed. changed oil to synthetic (when i got the car it was over filled!) i changed the fuel filter (old one was dirty dont think it was every changed) put seafoam in the gas tank. bought new headlights both where burnt out, as with tail lights. im getting the p0400 code which says probably EGR blocked passage. my mechanic said it only deals with admissions not gas mileage... im going to do plugs and wires after i get paid. if you have any idea why such poor gas mileage please inform me. my 2001 vw jetta VR6 is getting waaay better gas mileage. Also my sunroof doesnt work, is there a fuse to the sun roof? or what should i do to fix that?

The fuel gauge isn't very accurate, so the only way to know for sure is to fill it up and see how many gallons it took for those 125 miles. Sounds like you're on the right track. You'll most likely never see the same gas mileage as your VR6 gets, however.

Also, check out the Legacy MPG Thread up at the top.

• I Donated
im getting the p0400 code which says probably EGR blocked passage. my mechanic said it only deals with admissions not gas mileage...

about 80% of the time P0400 turns out to be a bad control solenoid.

a bad egr or control solenoid, or even a blocked passage WILL affect gas mileage.

I'm sorry but your mechanic does not know what he is talking about. You should find a new one. Anything emissions related has a direct effect on gas mileage

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
Fords are natorious for the control solenoid going bad. Ford calls it a DPFE sensor, and i can replace them in about 10 minutes. I haven't done one on a Subaru before, but I know its not that hard. I don't know what subaru calls it though

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

no, 10w30 is correct unless you live in an area where it never gets below freezing.

as mentioned, reset the the trip meter every time you fill up and then divide the miles driven by the gals purchased. the gas gauges are really bad, actually it is the sending units in the tank. there are 2 of them.

p0400, look for a cracked or loose vac line on the engine. look on the passenger side where the small rubber lines go over to the passenger strut tower. i read a service bulletin recently where this code could be caused by a leak. you might try buying a can of carb cleaner and spraying it around on the vac lines. if the engine revs or speeds up you have found your leak.

my 95 legos fuel gauge is a piece of SH_IT for accuracy, but your car does have a low fuel light that will come on with about 2 gallons left. when my car was an auto i was getting mpgs in the low 20s and mid 20s on the highway. now with the swapped 3.90 5spd i'm getting mid 20s in town and high 20s to low 30s on the high way. the car has a hybrid intake, UEL header, one cat, factory resonator, and 2.25 catback with maganflow can.

Archived