LegacyGT.com

Which Engine is more realable 2.5GT or 3.0R?

HammrsHell

Which engine is more realiable?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine is more realiable?

• 2.5GT
    • 3.0R

I have seen many 2.5GT with rebuilt short blocks, long blocks, turbos etc. Is it a design flaw with the engine itself? I have read a lot of issues around cylinder 4. I didn’t know if that issue translated over to the 6 cylinder.

Turbo engines are not as reliable as N/As because they generally run hotter under more stress & use up oil faster. The issue w/cylinder #3 is that the turbo is right next to it, so the heat from the turbo is always sinks into that side of the engine, which is already hot, causing more heat to build up. The H6s do not have these kinds of problems.

Turbo engines are not as reliable as N/As because they generally run hotter under more stress & use up oil faster. The issue w/cylinder #4 is that the turbo is right next to it, so the heat from the turbo is always sinks into that side of the engine, which is already hot, causing more heat to build up. The H6s do not have these kinds of problems.

Actually, the cylinder closest to the turbo is cylinder #3. #4 is on the driver side closest to the driver. Mine is also messed up :(. Probably a burnt valve.

Sounds like one of the reasons for issues with this cylinder can be fuel supply (apparently it is the last cylinder to get fuel where it may run leaner than the rest). Then you get knock, then you go kaboom. lost ringland.. That's my understanding anyway, though it appears that it is not what I have.

Turbo engines are not as reliable as N/As because they generally run hotter under more stress & use up oil faster. The issue w/cylinder #4 is that the turbo is right next to it, so the heat from the turbo is always sinks into that side of the engine, which is already hot, causing more heat to build up. The H6s do not have these kinds of problems.

Actually, the cylinder closest to the turbo is cylinder #3. #4 is on the driver side closest to the driver. Mine is also messed up :(. Probably a burnt valve.

Sounds like one of the reasons for issues with this cylinder can be fuel supply (apparently it is the last cylinder to get fuel where it may run leaner than the rest). Then you get knock, then you go kaboom. lost ringland.. That's my understanding anyway, though it appears that it is not what I have.

Yeah these are the things I have read. Yall are confirming my instinct to go with the 3.0

They're so much fun to drive though, thus negating (believe it or not) the frustration of busting an engine! at least in my case :spin:

In all seriousness though, I am inquiring from a tuner on this forum if this problem can be fixed with a good quality tune. There are guys over here with 150k+ and even 200k+ on their original engine. So it's possible.

They're so much fun to drive though, thus negating (believe it or not) the frustration of busting an engine! at least in my case :spin:

In all seriousness though, I am inquiring from a tuner on this forum if this problem can be fixed with a good quality tune. There are guys over here with 150k+ and even 200k+ on their original engine. So it's possible.

I am sure there are some higher milage ones out there. I think I have been scared by all the ones in the 40k 50k 60k mile range that have already blown and rebuilt their engines.

The H6 is a fabulous DD engine. I certainly can see the GT side of it (fun as hell to modify) and was actually looking for one with MT but found my 06 H6 and loved the test drive. SOLD. Since then I did a few mods ;) and that is all she wrote. Maybe someday the raptor will come calling... hmm.

Good Luck!

The H6 is a fabulous DD engine. I certainly can see the GT side of it (fun as hell to modify) and was actually looking for one with MT but found my 06 H6 and loved the test drive. SOLD. Since then I did a few mods ;) and that is all she wrote. Maybe someday the raptor will come calling... hmm.

Good Luck!

HAHA i would love to have a raptor as well! Cheepest one i could find had 125k miles and they still wanted $40,000.... What all have you done to you H6?

HAHA i would love to have a raptor as well! Cheepest one i could find had 125k miles and they still wanted $40,000.... What all have you done to you H6?

Vb. Mod, tranny cooler with thermostat, koni struts (front springs OEM & rear king springs), whiteline sways, wl caster lca, wl roll center kit, lgt brake upgrade, and avo brackets. The vb mod is tremendous for the h6 as it shifts quickly and keep it in the sweet spot of the power band. I love driving this car now. The suspension upgrades really help with power transfer as the stock suspension is a boat. Next upgrade will be a mishimoto radiator modded for the h6.

If you want a good source of forum reading on the h6, Google liberty forums as the h6 is much more popular in other regions than the USA. :D

Haha not the Ford F150 Raptor, the Raptor Supercharger for the H6. Boosts power to about 300 whp comfortably, and could probably push it even higher. Definitely a beastly upgrade, but pricy as hell. $7,200 for the kit, plus more money on top of that if you get upgraded headers and a tune. Although on a side note, whoever is selling a Ford Raptor with 125k on it for $40,000 needs a reality check hahahaha.

I had a 2004 Outback H6 LLBean up until May last year (it's now being driven by my brother). The engine itself is downright amazing and absolutely bulletproof, although the one in my OB was let down by the derpy 4EAT. I have heard that the 5EAT in the 2005+ ones is much improved in this respect, and can be improved further through modifications (search bar's right up there hahaha; I believe ClimberD@HexMods is the name to look for). Also, the EZ30 in the 2005-2009 Legacies is the EZ30R, which is more powerful and better all-around.

So yes, my vote is H6.

Vb. Mod, tranny cooler with thermostat, koni struts (front springs OEM & rear king springs), whiteline sways, wl caster lca, wl roll center kit, lgt brake upgrade, and avo brackets. The vb mod is tremendous for the h6 as it shifts quickly and keep it in the sweet spot of the power band. I love driving this car now. The suspension upgrades really help with power transfer as the stock suspension is a boat. Next upgrade will be a mishimoto radiator modded for the h6.

If you want a good source of forum reading on the h6, Google liberty forums as the h6 is much more popular in other regions than the USA. :D

Damn, now I have never been ballsy enough to mod a transmission!! How long did it take you to do the mod?

Haha not the Ford F150 Raptor, the Raptor Supercharger for the H6. Boosts power to about 300 whp comfortably, and could probably push it even higher. Definitely a beastly upgrade, but pricy as hell. $7,200 for the kit, plus more money on top of that if you get upgraded headers and a tune. Although on a side note, whoever is selling a Ford Raptor with 125k on it for $40,000 needs a reality check hahahaha.

I had a 2004 Outback H6 LLBean up until May last year (it's now being driven by my brother). The engine itself is downright amazing and absolutely bulletproof, although the one in my OB was let down by the derpy 4EAT. I have heard that the 5EAT in the 2005+ ones is much improved in this respect, and can be improved further through modifications (search bar's right up there hahaha; I believe ClimberD@HexMods is the name to look for). Also, the EZ30 in the 2005-2009 Legacies is the EZ30R, which is more powerful and better all-around.

So yes, my vote is H6.

LOL guess I had a real NOOB moment there! Thank you for the information, this is making my decision a lot easier. Now I guess I need to keep my eye out for a low mileage 3.0R :)

Adding a SC to a H6 is just going to reduce reliability. Turbo's engine will always have highs failure rates of short block because of the temptation to push the limits of the short block by raising the boost.

Actually I am not the first to put a VB in and to take it further I wouldn't have ever known about it if not for some other great forum members. Go to the transmission forum here and look for the F1 valve body thread by ClimberD. Most would be best off to have Climber mod it as this isn't a mod for the average enthusiast. The price is very reasonable and the final result is really phenomenal. Can't recommend this upgrade enough for any H6 owner... it WILL transform your view on the powertrain. Cheers.

PS: The two mods that will give you a happy and long lasting EZ30D would be a VB mod and a better cooling radiator (ie the Mishimoto). These two mods are also a base if you ever decided to add a SC to the mix.

Actually I am not the first to put a VB in and to take it further I wouldn't have ever known about it if not for some other great forum members. Go to the transmission forum here and look for the F1 valve body thread by ClimberD. Most would be best off to have Climber mod it as this isn't a mod for the average enthusiast. The price is very reasonable and the final result is really phenomenal. Can't recommend this upgrade enough for any H6 owner... it WILL transform your view on the powertrain. Cheers.

PS: The two mods that will give you a happy and long lasting EZ30D would be a VB mod and a better cooling radiator (ie the Mishimoto). These two mods are also a base if you ever decided to add a SC to the mix.

Awesome. Thank you for the heads up on these mods!

Archived