LegacyGT.com

Are EJ22s Universal?

I'm looking to do an engine swap and have a question. I promise that I've searched through previous threads and couldn't find the answer to this specific question. I'll try to be brief:

I have a 1998 Outback 2.5L Automatic with a blown engine. I would like to swap it out for a 2.2L and have read that a 95 engine will bolt right in. I have located an EJ22 that is known to be good with fairly low miles and a 30-day guarantee. It is from a 1995 Impreza with automatic transmission.

Will this engine, in fact, bolt right into my Outback with no required modifications or do I need to limit my search solely to 1995 and 1996 Legacy?

Eagerly awaiting your expertise as I am ready to get my car back on the road!

Thanks,

Dan

You can bolt the original heads to the 2.2 block for a bit bigger displacement..but sure your ecu and wiring will run that 2.2, they use the same cam and crank triggers.

There is a guy here who has successfully done that head swap and loves it, I don't know if your into performance gains for this car, but you will have some low end torque gains and. Will move slightly quicker through the gears. Do some more searching the answers are there.

^search bar..Dohc ej22e...2.2 motor swap...22e motor replacement.

Also will matter if you have a late 98 motor, but I think late 98 motors only have the change in the 8 bolt bell housing and higher compression pistons but really you can use any phase 1 or 2 block...the sensors and engine wiring changed along with the ecu.

You can bolt the original heads to the 2.2 block for a bit bigger displacement..but sure your ecu and wiring will run that 2.2, they use the same cam and crank triggers.

My EJ25 is blown and I don't want to use anything from it that isn't absolutely necessary. I'm looking for dependability and efficiency. I have no interest in performance gains for this car. It will be my daily commuter.

I guess all that I'm asking is if the EJ22 from an Impreza is the same as the EJ22 from a Legacy. Will this motor bolt right in like I've read in other threads that a 95 EJ22 is a direct swap, bolts right in, "no fuss, no muss", no need for the exhaust Y-pipe or ECU from the donor car?? Are there any issues with the front differential or gearing ratios?

Thanks!!

Yes they are the same, keep your transmission..the gear ratios are different between manual and auto in most cases, I don't know too much about the imprezas ..but I did a swap between my 95 2.2 and a 2.2 out of a 98 impreza outback sport just last December.

Sorry had my years the other way around but yes you should be good to go.

Johnegg is whose previous threads I had read which made me seek out a 1995 engine for the swap. I couldn't find a Legacy 2.2, but I'm hoping that the Impreza 2.2 is exactly the same. In other threads he referred to them as "Legos" which seems to imply that they're exactly the same. I just want to be sure that's the case before I pull the trigger. Johnegg, where are you?? ;)

You need the 2.2 Y-pipe too.

I've swapped a 98 Impreza 2.2 into a 98 Outback. No worries. From memory: power steering line bracket was slightly different (2.5 bracket worked well enough tho), but not much else. Pretty much any EJ/EZ motor will bolt up to any EJ/EZ-compatible trans. Whether or not you can run said trans is a whole 'nother ballgame, but they will physically bolt up. There should be no issues with the trans with the motor you've chosen.

2.5 was EGR, 2.2 was not. I swapped comps as well, no CEL's Doesn't always work out that way I'm told, tho.

My EJ25 is blown and I don't want to use anything from it that isn't absolutely necessary. I'm looking for dependability and efficiency. I have no interest in performance gains for this car. It will be my daily commuter.

I guess all that I'm asking is if the EJ22 from an Impreza is the same as the EJ22 from a Legacy. Will this motor bolt right in like I've read in other threads that a 95 EJ22 is a direct swap, bolts right in, "no fuss, no muss", no need for the exhaust Y-pipe or ECU from the donor car?? Are there any issues with the front differential or gearing ratios?

Thanks!!

I am the one he is mentioning & before I built that engine (which is a very dependable & reliable engine), it was originally an EJ22 from a 1995 Legacy, which is the same as a 1995 Impreza's EJ22. If you want straight reliability & dependability, the regular EJ22 will do just fine in those areas.

I'm looking to do an engine swap and have a question. I promise that I've searched through previous threads and couldn't find the answer to this specific question. I'll try to be brief:

I have a 1998 Outback 2.5L Automatic with a blown engine. I would like to swap it out for a 2.2L and have read that a 95 engine will bolt right in. I have located an EJ22 that is known to be good with fairly low miles and a 30-day guarantee. It is from a 1995 Impreza with automatic transmission.

Will this engine, in fact, bolt right into my Outback with no required modifications or do I need to limit my search solely to 1995 and 1996 Legacy?

Eagerly awaiting your expertise as I am ready to get my car back on the road!

Thanks,

Dan

1. The EJ22 from the auto Impreza should have EGR. If it does, it will drop right in but you will need your wiring harness to plug it up as there may be slight differences from OBD1 (95 Impreza) to OBD2 (98 Legacy) wiring. It will plug up & run with no difficulty or issues.

2. The 1995 EJ22 has dual port exhaust for it's heads & will bolt directly onto your Y exhaust manifold (or Y pipe) without a problem.

the 95 legacy and impreza ej22 engines are the same,

as long as they both have EGR.

USUALLY EGR is found on ej22 engine from cars with auto trans.

(i would say always, but a friend swears this is not true.)

so ANY 95 ej22 w/ EGR will work.

you don't need the y-pipe.

you shouldn't need the wiring harness, but if you do, use the one from your ej25.

(if the 94 lego ej22 (obd1) had EGR it would plug in just fine.)

you will need to swap in the flex plate that matches your trans, if auto.

usually you use the AC bracket and compressor from the blown engine.

i'm not 100% the ac bracket is required, but that has always been recommended.

one reason you use the AC compressor is so you do not have to recharge it.

just flop it out of the way during the R & R .

I did the reverse swap in a 99 OBS (2.2 to a 2.5).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the CRANK sprocket must match the ECU. The CAM sprockets are mostly the same, but the crank sprockets are different between the EJ22's and EJ25's.

Good luck, and have fun lining it up.

99 OBS (2.2 to a 2.5).

99 was a transition year.

this is a phase 2 engine swap,

more accurately a third gen, 00 - 04 engine.

so the issue concerning it are different than a gen 2, phase 1 engine swap, 95 - 98/9.

^^ the cam/crank sprocket trigger is different from the california version and non california.

They didnt start it till i believe on the 99 engines for the legacy (2.2)

99 was a transition year.

this is a phase 2 engine swap,

more accurately a third gen, 00 - 04 engine.

so the issue concerning it are different than a gen 2, phase 1 engine swap, 95 - 98/9.

I won't argue either of you. Been a couple years since I did it. I was recalling that it affected both phase I and phase II... I've been wrong before. :spin:

Archived