LegacyGT.com

brake/cv/wheel clicking sound diagnosis?

subi_snipe223

Hi All. I'm trying to diagnose a clicking sound coming from my front drivers side wheel area. It's a consistent noise that increases in frequency as speed increases until it is drowned out by road noise. It hasn't gotten any worse since I first heard it ~1000 mies ago. I'll have my wheels off in a couple of weeks to install new springs, and I was wondering what I should be looking for to diagnose/solve the problem.

I thought it was probably a bad outer cv joint, but the noise doesn't get any worse while turning. Also, I've had a bad wheel bearing on another car, and I know the sound. This doesn't have the same rough, grinding sound that I heard with my bad bearing.

I installed EBC greenstuff pad/slotted rotors about 15-20k miles ago. Is it possible my pads are worn and the noise tab the culprit? If so, wouldn't it constantly screech during braking and not click while accelerating/coasting?

EDIT: I recently changed the oil, and while under the car I inspected the CV joints. There were no tears although the drivers side inner boot did have a slight leak; there were a few spots of grease in the immedeate area of the joint.

Any insight would be helpful.

Yank a wheel off, check the brakes. My Hawk HPS were worn down to almost the backing plate. I don't recall there being a consistent screech at any point during use... it did screech a few times, but it was intermittent and just stopped. Turns out the screech tabs broke off on both sets of pads and the backing plates had JUST started to hit the rotors and I caught it in time without expensive damage.

Also, check your tires. Maybe a screw is sticking out of them. Seriously. Found one in my car the other day when I pulled out the driveway. Heard a clicking noise and it was a screw. Yanked it out, luckily didn't penetrate all the way through!

Yank a wheel off, check the brakes. My Hawk HPS were worn down to almost the backing plate. I don't recall there being a consistent screech at any point during use... it did screech a few times, but it was intermittent and just stopped. Turns out the screech tabs broke off on both sets of pads and the backing plates had JUST started to hit the rotors and I caught it in time without expensive damage.

Also, check your tires. Maybe a screw is sticking out of them. Seriously. Found one in my car the other day when I pulled out the driveway. Heard a clicking noise and it was a screw. Yanked it out, luckily didn't penetrate all the way through!

thanks for the tips! I'm pretty sure its the pads, but i'll be sure to check the wheels too!

Archived