LegacyGT.com

Nokian WR wear... is this normal? other options?

emorphien

I've got Nokian WRs on my Legacy and they've got about 24k miles on them now. I'm already needing to replace them as they're getting down to the wear markers. This is pretty surprising to me because I don't push them all that hard and I've never had a tire go on me this fast. They've been good overall though, winter performance has been fine for my needs here with stopping much better than the RE92s or even the cheap all seasons I had on past cars (which also stopped better than the RE92s).

I'm guessing they might not live up to the 50k treadlife they advertise not to mention the roadwork here in the summers has probably been tearing them up since I've used them year round. The surface of the road I live on was torn up for a month or so not to mention the work on other roads the past couple summers.

I'm not sure what I'll replace them with, I'd like something that'd last longer (or is at least cheaper) but I don't know if I had a fluke experience or bum set of tires or what. Regardless of why they've worn down I'm curious if others have had them wear faster than expected.

I'm interested in the WRG2s but also other options. I've heard good things of the Continental ContiExtremeContact and Pirelli PZero Nero M/S and both of those are considerably cheaper.

Do you want all seasons?

Continental ContiExtremeContact and Pirelli PZero Nero M/S are both AS tires but they come from two different angles. Pirelli are summer molds (tread)with AS compound and Conti are very aggresive tread with AS compound.

Krzys

25K sounds close to normal for a WR that is run through all 4 seasons.

the summer months tend to do a number (literally in this case, due to the treadwear # system) on them, because they are so soft. I pretty much ended up with a '4' after 1 year @ about the same mileage without changing them out.

If I were up where you are, and if I had the means, I would do a dedicated winter/3 season regime. WRs (or even a true snow) and Contis would seem to be a pretty good combo for upstate.

Ah...man, that has me rethinking the WR G2's as I intended to run all 4 seasons. Basically wanted to hit the mountains in heavy snow, without having to swap tires/wheels the rest of the year.

But if they might last only 24K, forget it. Maybe the WR G2's are better and will last longer? I heard they had a number of improvements.

That's what I'm thinking about the G2s as well, maybe they will last a little longer. Unfortunately I called one local place and they're $229 a tire installed plus tax. That's more than my WRs were three years ago.

The guy at the tire place told me the same thing though, they've got the Continental and the Pirelli but if I had the WRs I probably won't like them as much. This is one case where I'd trust the guys because this shop has a great reputation.

In the H-rated version we got about 40k+ out of Nokian WR's year round on a Civic. The T-rated nearly 50k miles.

We have 22k on our v-rated stocker size Nokian WR G2's on a 2005 LGT and they appear about half worn purchased last winter. Then again my wife drives it and gets 23mpg average so obviously an easy driver. I forsee about 40k out of the WR G2's. Incredible all-season albeit $168/tire installed.

At 22k miles my wear indicator that I noticed on the tire shows a 6 and 4. Not sure what this means exactly.

You could have an alignment issue.

The alignment and rotation should have been fine, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it with these. When I get new tires installed I'll be getting an alignment anyway so I guess I'll see how it goes.

raj you said you got them for $168/tire installed? That's a hell of a lot cheaper than I'm seeing for 215/45R17s here (about $229/tire for everything). I plan to call around some more over the weekend.

Yeah how often did you rotate your tires? 40K will last me about 3 years, I could live with that.

Also wondering how the the WR G2's or regular WR's hold-up at high speeds on the freeway?

they actually feel very stable at straight line high speeds; mine were only H's, too. they are not a tire for high speed turning at all.

i'd like to clarify, mine were a pretty thick '4' after around 1 year @ 25K (meaning the '6' had just worn) -- that's still quite a bit of meat left. also, the year i ran then, we had a very long, hot summer; during which I noticed a significantly faster increase in wear. i think one can get 35K out of these fairly easily with typical use on an lgt, especially in a cooler clime. i just wanted the OP to know that these do wear rather quickly when run year round, and that his set showing wear by 25K certainly does not sound like a fluke to me.

Agreed they were a fine tire for running on the highway, even in the summer. I would routinely cruise in the 70-75mph range with my WRs. I don't go as fast as I used to on my previous car I guess.

I still want to know how raj got them for the price he did assuming a stock Legacy then they're the same tire I'd be needing. I haven't seen prices like that mentioned anywhere with installation and everything else included.

The place I got the Nokian WR G2 is a whole in the wall old school tire garage.

It is called John & Sons Tire in Manchester NH. Beyond happy with them, they mounted/balanced(perferctly) the tires in 20 mins for me.

On the highway while not an ultra high performance tire they are fine for normal driving. I would call them an average high performance H-rated all-season in the summer. Sort of Conti Extreme Contact, nothing special in terms of dry performance. They are incredible in the wet.

The place I got the Nokian WR G2 is a whole in the wall old school tire garage.

It is called John & Sons Tire in Manchester NH. Beyond happy with them, they mounted/balanced(perferctly) the tires in 20 mins for me.

On the highway while not an ultra high performance tire they are fine for normal driving. I would call them an average high performance H-rated all-season in the summer. Sort of Conti Extreme Contact, nothing special in terms of dry performance. They are incredible in the wet.

Yeah those guys have a good rep. Too bad they don't ship.

Agreed they were a fine tire for running on the highway, even in the summer. I would routinely cruise in the 70-75mph range with my WRs. I don't go as fast as I used to on my previous car I guess.

I still want to know how raj got them for the price he did assuming a stock Legacy then they're the same tire I'd be needing. I haven't seen prices like that mentioned anywhere with installation and everything else included.

For some reason, as raj mentioned John and Sons in NH can install these for around $700/set. I called a bunch of places local to me and all of them were $900+ for a set of 4 in 215/45/17. I don't think anyone really knows why than can offer them at such a low cost but since they do, many of us from MA drive up there to purchase them there.

I got my set of 215/45/17 WR G2s from them as well for right around $700/installed also.

$900+ for the set seems to be the going rate everywhere, $700 is a killer deal. Not worth it for me to trek out to NH to get that though. Oh well, I've already got an appointment with the local place to get a set put on.

I've certainly heard from other people getting low mileage out of their WRs but they're more aggressive drivers than I am. Must have been doing something wrong.

For some reason, as raj mentioned John and Sons in NH can install these for around $700/set. I called a bunch of places local to me and all of them were $900+ for a set of 4 in 215/45/17. I don't think anyone really knows why than can offer them at such a low cost but since they do, many of us from MA drive up there to purchase them there.

I got my set of 215/45/17 WR G2s from them as well for right around $700/installed also.

Next time go to Maynard & Lesiuer in Nashua. In fact John & Sons buy the tires from M&L.

John & Sons fubared balancing job when I got my tires there. They have some antiquated balancer. M&L has a modern Hunter balancer, I believe.

Maybe you can at least try those guys in NH. They don't ship normally but maybe if u offered an extra $75 or so they'd do it?

What about the fast wear if you use all 4 seasons? I think if you rotate the tires more often that might help. Plus the G2's probably will last a little longer. Some people also get a full-size spare that is added to the rotation schedule. Though that will add a lot to the total cost.

Archived