LegacyGT.com

Pro Tunning

Hey guys, have upgraded turbo, exhaust down pipe, COBB accessport, etc. Thinking about getting it pro tuned for $450. Think its worth it? Also how much power will I gain from having it tuned?

Depends on who you have do your tune. Might gain 5hp, might gain 50hp.

Heck, it might blow up on the dyno.

Either way, though, from what I've read, you would benefit from having your car professionally tuned.

its not clear from your wonderfully brief question what you have for a current tune, but with an upgraded turbo, you should be running a custom map not one of the "Off the Shelf" maps already loaded on the Cobb AP because those will not compensate for the larger turbo.

its not clear from your wonderfully brief question what you have for a current tune, but with an upgraded turbo, you should be running a custom map not one of the "Off the Shelf" maps already loaded on the Cobb AP because those will not compensate for the larger turbo.

This raises a very good point.

OP, the OTS Cobb maps can only compensate for air:fuel so much -- IIRC, you're running a 52 at ~22psi -- meaning, your injectors are likely maxed out, your fuel pump is overexerted, and you're probably still running lean and/or knocking. Depending on how long you've been running that setup and how hard you've been driving it, there's a chance that the damage has already been done, and your tuner may very well blow (an already weakened) ringland on the dyno.

Just mentally prepare yourself.

I'm running a JmP turbo with the billet wheel and power comes on about 2650 -- well before 3k. :)

That's pretty awesome. I figure his BB turbo's should improve that even more.

With the billet wheel is the top end the same as the VF40 / VF46 or is it a little better?

And have you had yours custom tuned?

I was going through my papers for the car the other day, I didn't see it, but I do have one somewhere.

Here's one from our Civic with a 1.6L for a tease,http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/568whpchart-2.jpg

I have video of the wagon on the dyno.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_VID00018.mp4

Here just scanned it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/CCF09262014_00000_zps96cbcaec.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's pretty awesome. I figure his BB turbo's should improve that even more.

With the billet wheel is the top end the same as the VF40 / VF46 or is it a little better?

And have you had yours custom tuned?

Honestly, I've only recently gotten used to the wastegate boost I'm running (8.9psi!), and it's still got the power to surprise me! Though, lately, I've gotten a bit "bored" with the punch. We're not even at 1500 miles, and, being limited to 4500rpm (my personal limit is 3500, just to be safe), I can't say for sure what the top-end looks like, as I've literally only been there twice, within the same week. Both times I was in the same place, doing the same thing -- passing a city bus, approaching an intersection on a slight incline. (My commute is pretty static) The trans downshifted (due in part, to throttle input) while on-boost (or caused us to go into boost) and the tach snapped to 5k-ish. Car took off like a rocket across the intersection! (Had to hit the binders pretty hard, as on the other side is the cop shop ;) )

We're not custom-tuned yet, and still not even running an OTS Stage 2 map, which, I think will be pretty kickass, considering. I suppose by the time I'm ready for a tune, I'll probably just bypass the OTS tune -

I think the BB units will be pretty awesome, though, if I'm honest, I'm very happy with what I've got right now, and I haven't even maxxed it out!

Even if you're not in the market for a new turbo, you should reach out to JmP and see what he can build for you. At the very least, you can score a rebuilt unit that's virtually free of the oiling problems (read: grenade!) of the OEM units, which, as we all know, is worth its weight in gold.

I think the BB units will be pretty awesome, though, if I'm honest, I'm very happy with what I've got right now, and I haven't even maxxed it out!

Even if you're not in the market for a new turbo, you should reach out to JmP and see what he can build for you. At the very least, you can score a rebuilt unit that's virtually free of the oiling problems (read: grenade!) of the OEM units, which, as we all know, is worth its weight in gold.

I talked with him in June and decided that I would wait until the BB units came out.

I am completing my Stage 2 tune with Cryotune right now. So far it's great. But I am pretty sure I will want a little more power when I replace my turbo.

So trying to get as many details as possible.

Archived