LegacyGT.com

HELP Engine and Tranny Removal 05 lgt

Get M8 Allen wrench to take out the cap on clutch fork, followed by inserting a 10mm bolt into the pivot pin and dislodge the clutch fork's pivot pin. You can't be able to separate the union of engine and transmission without it being taken out. Other than that drain the fluids to help yourself out pulling it out. It is possible to slide whole thing out of the engine bay. Dismount the transmission mount and motor monts and you will have to pull it out as one piece at an angle.

take the radiator and condenser out first. unplug the main wire harness and the sensor plugs etc. unhook the power steering lines, ac lines, fuel lines, take off the tmic, take out your air box, disconnect your battery and all them little lines around there. there are a few other hoses and wires you'll have to disconnect after taking the tmic off. take your starter out, and then take out the two nuts and 7 bolts (i believe thats what it is, can't remember) holding your transmission and your motor together. take the 14mm nuts with washers out on your motor mounts (two of them). then get your engine and transmission separated and pull it out.

for transmission your going to have to take out your axles, take your dp off and either drop or take off your catback completely off. take your drive shaft off unhook the plugs, and rest is self explanatory.

sorry for the run on sentences and if its not in order. its getting late.

Pull the tranny off first. Take out the radiator & hoses. Start pulling the wiring harnesses off the motor. Remove the turbo and exhaust pipes. Remove the intake manifold & fuel rail. Then pull the motor after you disconnect the engine mounts and grounding cables.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Get M8 Allen wrench to take out the cap on clutch fork, followed by inserting a 10mm bolt into the pivot pin and dislodge the clutch fork's pivot pin. You can't be able to separate the union of engine and transmission without it being taken out. Other than that drain the fluids to help yourself out pulling it out. It is possible to slide whole thing out of the engine bay. Dismount the transmission mount and motor monts and you will have to pull it out as one piece at an angle.

I thought this was only for 2007 and older WRX's (and maybe STI's), but not on the 2005 and newer LGT and 2008 and newer WRX's.

Can someone confirm this?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I thought this was only for 2007 and older WRX's (and maybe STI's), but not on the 2005 and newer LGT and 2008 and newer WRX's.

Can someone confirm this?

I pulled the tranny last year and the engine this year in the wagon and don't remember doing what he said.

OP. this is a easy job if you have the proper tools.

I think you could pull them as a unit if you can get the car high enough.

Pull fuel pump fuse, start engine until it stalls.

Drain fluids

pull radiator

disconnect fuel lines from the shock tower

" electrical connectors.

I'm not going to list everything, I don't have time for that...

You'll need decent mechanical skills, ability to think through a problem, if you come up against a problem, step back take a deep breath have a bite to eat, get a drink.

Look it over, you'll figure it out.

BTW you can lay the PS and AC to the sides with pulling the lines.

Here's my thread, it may help.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In theory, if you pull it as a unit, the axles should slide out as you pull the stuff forward after you remove the shifter and tranny mounts.

Do you have someone that wants them ? this is a lot of work. Do you have a engine hoist ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived