LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy Outback Radio Install

What's up guys. I need to put a new stereo in my car cuz the current one decided it doesn't want to work. I'm pretty sure I know how, but I was wondering if there's a write-up somewhere on the forums? I searched show, wikipedia, youtube, and (of course), LGT. So far eHow had a write up without pictures, but it reads like stereo instructions. (Pun intended)

Anyway, I think this forum needs a write up about it. So if there isn't one already, I'll make one. Imo, a write up about something like this without some kind of visual aid is like having a telephone conversation with Dell's tech support: very unproductive and repetitive if you don't understand exactly what's going on.

Yeah, a how to would be nice. It's just so easy that I don't think it's that big of a deal.

First remove the cup holder held in by two screws. Then pull out the ash tray and undo the two screws in the upper part of the ash tray housing. Yank off the trim. Get a long phillips screwdriver to undo two screws that hold the cage in the back. Then undo the four screws that hold the front of the cage. Pull out the stereo, undo the harness clip, crimp your new stereo wires to the harness plug. Do everything in reverse. Piece of cake. But write ups are always welcome. If you need any pics I can snap some for you.

See, I ran into a problem or two. A) the cigarette lighter was in the way, preventing th faceplate from moving vertically. Also, I can't move the faceplate horizontally because of the center console. After a little "convincing" and getting pissed, it "popped" right out. I have no idea how I'm going to get it back in though...

and B) the new stereo's wiring harness doesn't match the colors on the car's harness. I managed to find this though -> http://www.modifiedlife.com/1998-subaru-outback-car-stereo-install-schematic/

That website has schematics for Subaru models I've never even heard of. Pretty sweet.

See, I ran into a problem or two. A) the cigarette lighter was in the way, preventing th faceplate from moving vertically. Also, I can't move the faceplate horizontally because of the center console. After a little "convincing" and getting pissed, it "popped" right out. I have no idea how I'm going to get it back in though...

and B) the new stereo's wiring harness doesn't match the colors on the car's harness. I managed to find this though -> http://www.modifiedlife.com/1998-subaru-outback-car-stereo-install-schematic/

That website has schematics for Subaru models I've never even heard of. Pretty sweet.

Just kidding. That website is completely wrong. All of the wires are labelled, so I'll do my best to read them and list them.

ite

The wires in any car will never match the harness that stereos come with. You can buy wiring harnesses at best buy, car audio shops, online, etc that will match any aftermarket stereo. They're all the same.

If you don't buy a harness, it's still simple if you have a multimeter and a 9v battery. Find a 12v constant first, then use continuity to find a ground. Turn the key to the on position to find another 12v source which is your switched power. The remaining wires are illumination ands speakers. Turn on the parking lights to find illumination. Lastly, use the 9v battery to test the speaker wires. Strip em, and touch the wires to the battery. You will hear the speaker pop, and thru process of elimination you will have your speaker wires. Then connect the wires from the radio harness to the right wires.

If you want a write on disassembling the dash, it looks like other people have already answered that. Otherwise, try metraonline.com and when you find a dash kit for your vehicle you can download the PDF which will contain instructions. The only issue with a lot of subarus is that until dash kits weren't needed until 05+, so you might not find one for your current vehicle.

Its really not hard to do to be honest with you. I don't see why a guide would be needed.

It's not that easy for first timers like myself. I've done a few radio installs on imports, but each manufacturer and model is an experience. It's much easier to have someone tell you all of the tips and tricks before hand. If I didn't read that there were two screws in the ashtray, I'd probably still be out there looking for a way to get the radio out. I'm just putting all of the info I found/figured out in the same place.

Archived