LegacyGT.com

Weird clicking sound behind dash

bubbling is air in the coolant system, burp the system.

Jack up the right front corner of the car, open the cap on the turbo coolant tank. Squeeze the coolant hoses. Top off the system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

How would fuel pressure try to build before inserting the key? That would be amazing and scary at the same time.

OP said the sound was after shutting the car down. Air in the cooling system should eventually get caught in the heater core and cause an overheat or rising t-stat condition as well. Which might just cause a "bubbling" behind the dash sound when shutting down.

Op never got back to the thread, so we do not know if he found his problem.

This is the common sound of the a/c servo that moves your directional venting doors. Mine does it as well..sounds like a small electric motor mixed with blower doors flopping around. There is an extensive thread here about it.

Someone has even isolated the part that is causing it and also uploaded a diagram.

This is the common sound of the a/c servo that moves your directional venting doors. Mine does it as well..sounds like a small electric motor mixed with blower doors flopping around. There is an extensive thread here about it.

Someone has even isolated the part that is causing it and also uploaded a diagram.

agreed, common,and annoying problem. mine only started doing this in the past year, doesn't seem to be s major cause of concern yet, just annoying (like the sticky window switch)

• 10 months later...

Hello-

I've been hearing this random click noise under my dash for a while now. It happens on when the car is on, and its totally random, sometimes more frequent, other less nothing at all. It most usuall happens for a few seconds right when I turn the car on, and then quits, but sometimes it just keeps going for the whole drive. My commute is 40 min and it gets so annoying. I swear I can feel it if my knee is resting on the center console area. I've looked around for info or DIYs on the a/c servo for the vent door, but I can't seem to find anything. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• 11 months later...
How would fuel pressure try to build before inserting the key? That would be amazing and scary at the same time.

OP said the sound was after shutting the car down. Air in the cooling system should eventually get caught in the heater core and cause an overheat or rising t-stat condition as well. Which might just cause a "bubbling" behind the dash sound when shutting down.

Op never got back to the thread, so we do not know if he found his problem.

I've been poking around on here today looking into common overheating issues, as my 06 Spec B started overheating today for the first time in its life. I've definitely had this ticking noise coming from the engine area after shutting down the motor for a while...

Is burping the system as stated above the generally accepted solution to this issue?

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There should only be air in the system if you put it there. It is a closed loop. If there is air and you did not introduce it then there is leak and the air is what remains in the absense of coolant. Otherwise you could simply hear the coolant vaporizing from the turbo and rising into the coolant res during shutdown. This is normal and is how the turbo cools after the car has been shut down (see why Subarus dont need turbo timers).

• 2 months later...

Archived