LegacyGT.com

Going to Utah, is Renting AWD needed?

peteyjr

Hey there mountain folks. Heading up to Utah to snowboard in March. I'm meeting a cousin of mine from Chile (who is also a Subie man) . We are flying in to Salt lake City and driving to Park City March 12-13th. I would ideally like to rent a Subie since they are All wheel drive . Just in case they are hard to find to rent for some reason, is All wheel drive really necessary that time of year? do they salt the roads like in the NE. Can I get away with FWD or god forbid RWD. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Your brother from the SE (sunny and warm Florida)

Pete

I don't think there are any rental agencies here that have Subarus... You'll probably end up with an AWD charger or a big SUV.

They do salt the roads, so ice isn't usually a problem. The only problem you'll have is if we get a big storm that dumps on Park City and Parley's Canyon. If there's a storm, they will probably close Parley's to anything that's not 4wd or chained.

Believe it or not i was able to rent an '08 Impreza Sedan in Florida last summer.

You'll be fine with FWD here though. Usually plows do a decent job with clearing the roads... This year, however, it seems like I've had to travel in more snow than the last 8 years I've been driving in it.

Cool , sounds like there will be plenty of snow by the time we get there. I rented an outback when I went up to Philly a few years back when I picked up my LGT wagon (very few of them in Fla). I plan to snowboard PC, Maybe Snowbird. I know Alta doesn't allow boarders. I have 5 or 6 days to board and do other things. Never been to that part of the country but heard alot of good things about it.

Cool , sounds like there will be plenty of snow by the time we get there. I rented an outback when I went up to Philly a few years back when I picked up my LGT wagon (very few of them in Fla). I plan to snowboard PC, Maybe Snowbird. I know Alta doesn't allow boarders. I have 5 or 6 days to board and do other things. Never been to that part of the country but heard alot of good things about it.

Well you'll love the awesome drivers here :rolleyes: I'm from WPB. Definitely colder here than in the 561!

Chad ... I hate you. I seriously wanted to ditch work today to go play. Guess who has is boots and planks with him? lol

Petey - This is pricey, but for a one of a kind experience, go take a bobsled ride at the Park City Olympic Park. It's $200. Possibly the most expensive minute of your life (except that time you got the hooker in Vegas). But where else do you get to experience 5 g's in the corners?! Definitely worth doing once.

If you get extra insurance, AWD isn't necessary.

I'd suggest RWD...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Wow, being a speed demon I'm going to have to highly consider this one !!!!!

Chad ... I hate you. I seriously wanted to ditch work today to go play. Guess who has is boots and planks with him? lol

Petey - This is pricey, but for a one of a kind experience, go take a bobsled ride at the Park City Olympic Park. It's $200. Possibly the most expensive minute of your life (except that time you got the hooker in Vegas). But where else do you get to experience 5 g's in the corners?! Definitely worth doing once.

yes the rental car companies here have plenty of subarus, mainly legacy and impreza 2.5i's with a few outbacks as well. you do have to ask and a reservation is always extremely helpful though since theyre popular and run out quickly. only other awd choices are suvs like the chevy equinox, tahoe, and similar. i see them everyday since i work at the airport.

Archived