LegacyGT.com

Insurance and totaling the car question...

Crashed my car, rear ended someone and front end has about 80% of the cars value in damage, that was my fault. When we were on the side of the road another truck rear ended my car, resulting in a 2nd accident. At first they were not going to total the car because it was 2 accidents, and the guy who rear ended me was paying for the rear, and my insurance for the front. However now they combined the 2 into one grand total and choose to total the car.

Now question comes in, the rear end damage is just under $3000. Since my insurance is choosing to total the car, should they get to keep that $3000, or should I get that $3000 for the rear end. I dont see how its fair that my company totals the car and pockets the 3k from the other insurance company. The other company is writing a $3000 check for the rear end no matter what happens to my car. It seems as though they are actually profiting off the other person hitting me with how they want to play the game

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are over-thinking what's going on here. You are owed the value of your car in the event of a total loss. If that is what you are getting, you are not getting shorted anything.

What it sounds like is happening is that your insurance company took over the full estimate for damages to the car for the 2 claims. And since without the second accident they said it would not total, that $3000 is what pushed it over. So, if you had kept both accidents separate and dealt with both insurance companies yourself, you would have gotten a check for the cost of the front damage and a check for the rear. Both those checks would have gone toward the cost of the repairs to the car. You would have walked away with a repaired car.

Since you chose to have them lumped together, that means your car is totaled and you get the full value of the car. Your insurance company is buying your car despite not owing the full value for the car, that extra $3000 in damage from the second accident makes your insurance company whole because there is $3000 in damage not accounted for in the accident you caused.

I tried keeping them separate. It was the insurance company who wanted to combine them. I filed the front end with mine, and the rear with USAA the other drivers insurance, they talked, and totaled it. I talked with them today though and were trying to work out a fair value. So far they offered $13,000. I am trying to figure out what buyback is now since I have someone who wants the car.

Oh, sorry, I thought you wanted to combine them. You should have had that choice, it should not have been made by your adjusters.

That said, I wouldn't want my car back at 80% ACV, too much damage and too many little unknowns to repair on both ends.

Don't just let them tell you what it's worth. Get some comp values for cars in your condition and miles and be ready to provide them if their offer is too low.

They should be able to tell you the buyback, they just have to call the salvage company and get a quote. With front and rear damage it should be pretty reasonable to get back.

I just BBooked my '08 today. 112k on clock. High was $12,700. $13,000 is fair even if you have low mileage. I however, own mine. Sorry for the misfortune. Love these cars.

Blue Book factors in all kinds of other bullshit, hence the inflated prices; NADA is the true value of the vehicle based on age, mileage, and condition.

I have a loan, I owe 12k. I already sold 6k of parts off the car and have another 2 or so. Gunna get as much as I can from insurance and figure out what i wanna get.

I'm confused -- they offered you 13, but you're in possession of the car and still selling the parts that you've claimed raise the value of the vehicle, such as your forged motor?

No, sorry for not making it more clear. They offered me 13k for my car in 100% stock form. I have all the stock parts I am putting back on the car and started removing the aftermarket stuff last night. They let me take the car home to take all my aftermarket stuff off, then they will tow it away when I am done. I understand 13k for my car in stock form is a pretty nice offer, but I feel it never hurts to try and ask for a little more. If they say no, I will be satisfied with 13.

No, sorry for not making it more clear. They offered me 13k for my car in 100% stock form. I have all the stock parts I am putting back on the car and started removing the aftermarket stuff last night. They let me take the car home to take all my aftermarket stuff off, then they will tow it away when I am done.

Wow. I didn't think it worked like that.

I dont know, they certainly did not argue. I asked if they will value my aftermarket parts, she told me they can but it will proble not be what I can sell them for on my own. She told me as long as I have the stock parts to put back on they dont care what I take off, they even paid for the car to be towed from the body shop to my house so I can take them off.

I have Amica insurance, so far I have been blown away at how nice and willing to work with you they are.

I was as well. If anyone is shopping for insurance, I highly recommend Amica. They were about 15% cheaper for me than I was paying with Progressive, and about 100X as nice and willing to help their customers out.

One thing to consider is the Pacific NW Subaru tax, Subarus are worth quite a bit more than the rest of the country around here.

I was as well. If anyone is shopping for insurance, I highly recommend Amica. They were about 15% cheaper for me than I was paying with Progressive, and about 100X as nice and willing to help their customers out.

One thing to consider is the Pacific NW Subaru tax, Subarus are worth quite a bit more than the rest of the country around here.

Geico and Prog are killing it on price right now --but it's hard to explain to customers that the coverage they're getting sucks. All they see is a lesser dollar amount per month and they're sold. :spin:

Agreed, we fetch a higher price here, which is good.

I have Amica insurance, so far I have been blown away at how nice and willing to work with you they are.

+1 for amica. fantastic service, reasonable rate, and when I got into an accident a couple years back (my first) they didn't raise my rates

Just got a call, they are considering upping the offer to me, but are sending supposedly one of the #1 appraisers in the NW to look at my car. Haha

http://www.oregonaao.com/bill-blake-portland-bd-of-directors.html

After googling him, he seems pretty popular in fighting the insurance companies and everyone says gives very fair estimates. We shall see

Just got a call, they are considering upping the offer to me, but are sending supposedly one of the #1 appraisers in the NW to look at my car. Haha

http://www.oregonaao.com/bill-blake-portland-bd-of-directors.html

After googling him, he seems pretty popular in fighting the insurance companies and everyone says gives very fair estimates. We shall see

You may find that 13k offer going away :eek:

Geico and Prog are killing it on price right now --but it's hard to explain to customers that the coverage they're getting sucks. All they see is a lesser dollar amount per month and they're sold. :spin:

Agreed, we fetch a higher price here, which is good.

I can't complain about GEICO. I hit a small canyon pothole, bent 2 STI BBS wheels, blew both the my left front and rear struts, and destroyed the two tires.

I got two brand new BBS wheels (!), Koni inserts, and tires. I purchased the other two tires at cost. I should mention that I didn't have an aftermarket wheel rider on my insurance, but I think some fortune it being an OEM Subaru wheel got it covered. Total repair bill was $3800, of which the wheels were $2200 or so.

Archived