LegacyGT.com

violent shaking from stop

Bochim

About 3 weeks ago i installed a cmfx350 clutch in my 05 lgt. Yesterday i started to get a very bad shakeing / chatter when starting from a dead stop. When i put the car in first gear ill let the clutch out and it will start to move but as i let it out fully i get the shake. This only happens in first. If I am moving at all this problem does not happen, like if I roll a stop sign. The problem seems to get worse the longer i drive the car at a time. When i installed the clutch the quill that the TOB moves on looked fine. Smooth, no groves. I also put grease on it.

Edit: It will also make the chattering noise without the shake if I quickly push the clutch in at low speeds in first. It feels like there is no "back end" as I call it, to the clutch pedal, when i reach the point of engagement where this happens the pedal is almost all the way up. Feels almost like something is restricting it from smoothly engaging when it shakes / chatters, then its in gear.

Has Anyone had anything like this happen to them? Ideas?

My old Spec 2+ clutch would chatter from time to time. The fix was drive it hard a few high rpm shifts under load or, put tranny in netural, side step the clutch pedal, let it slam to the top.

I have over 20,000 miles on my Spec 2 clutch, it has never chattered.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My old Spec 2+ clutch would chatter from time to time. The fix was drive it hard a few high rpm shifts under load or, put tranny in netural, side step the clutch pedal, let it slam to the top.

I have over 20,000 miles on my Spec 2 clutch, it has never chattered.

I'll try that tonight, tomorrow I'm taking it to a local shop too see if maybe he can diagnose it if it doesn't clear up tonight.

had the same issues, you need higher revs when letting the clutch out that you're used to.

How high of RPM's are we talking here. I've been out today going up around 3k from stops and the problem is pretty much non existent. Is this about how high you are having to rev not to get the grabby chatter shake as if come to know it?

I have the same exact issue from a stop on my new clutch. Have about 1k miles on it so far and hoped break in would help but it's not. Only I put in a stg3 comp clutch kit. If you take it in to get diagnosed please post it. I'll have to play with the higher rev engagement, but this has me stressed.

How high of RPM's are we talking here. I've been out today going up around 3k from stops and the problem is pretty much non existent. Is this about how high you are having to rev not to get the grabby chatter shake as if come to know it?

when the clutch was brand new and still in break-in mileage then i would have to rev it up around 3-3.5 to not get the shudder.

Now that it's broken in, i still have to rev it a bit higher than the oem one, but not much, maybe around 1.5-2. I can check when i run out for lunch today.

I took the car to a local tranny shop today, while the guy was driving it he go it happen really hard and I'm pretty sure something was banging against the bottom of the car. He seams to think that the clutch is fine and I need to look into mounts or maybe something else from the back of the tranny.

I wonder if it could be the center, carrier bearing in the drive shaft, ok propeller shaft, if you want to call it by it's correct name.

Some one else a while back had one go bad

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2005/SUBARU/LEGACY/?siteid=216335&vehicleid=1430733&diagram=F731045

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I wonder if it could be the center, carrier bearing in the drive shaft, ok propeller shaft, if you want to call it by it's correct name.

Some one else a while back had one go bad

Im going to look into the carrier also. i do not hear any growling but thats not to say it couldnt be bad or even lose from where it bolts on.

I spoke with one of the other fellows that work at the shop, he said when we went by while it was happening he thought he could see something (im guessing the driveshaft) shaking/jerking around under the car.

If you need a propeller shaft, as it's called, PM HAMMERDOWN, he had one made for less money then a OEM one.

Ok. I think my problem has been resolved. I installed a Group N tranny mount and bushings, and the banging and massive driveline vibration has stopped. I'm still getting a very grabby feeling from the clutch but I think it's because it's doing what it's supposed to do, grab. I think with some driving style adjustments I can even work that out as well.

After I installed the mount I took it too very good transmission guy becuase im super parinod and he seamed to think the same as me that it's just grabbing a lot because its high performance.

Now that I think about it, it does feel a lot like my friends trans am that has HD clutch in it.

Archived