LegacyGT.com

Is the FMS FMIC any good?

Snowferno

I've seen a few people that have them and were able to make decent power on it. I really like that this kit keeps the stock fogs. So far from the research that I've done I expect the mounting holes to be off and require me to have to re-drill them, and I'll have to relocate the overflow tank.

People have made upwards of 400 HP with it, all depends on goals and tuner
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

My power goals are only around 300hp limited by my 5EAT.

I have a BNR16g, invidia DP, GrimmSpeed UP, and a Cobb AccessPort. Went to go get tuned only to find out that the endtank on the poorly designed stock intercooler is leaking pretty bad. So now I'm in the market for a new intercooler. I really want to go front mount while I have the option and the price is about the same as a new top mount for the FMS kit. I'm fine with a little fitment tweaking but I wanted to hear from some people who own this kit to see how they feel about it. It seems that a lot of people who bash this product are people who have never personally tested or owned it.

i ran the kit and it was recommended by my tuner (Brentuning) for what my goals were. He has had nothing but success with it on the cars he has tuned that ran that kit. For the price it is tough to beat. Fitment wise, you cannot retain the bumper beam and will have to do some significant cutting of the front bumper to get it to fit. You can retain the stock fog lights. I would recommend the kit.

i ran the kit and it was recommended by my tuner (Brentuning) for what my goals were. He has had nothing but success with it on the cars he has tuned that ran that kit. For the price it is tough to beat. Fitment wise, you cannot retain the bumper beam and will have to do some significant cutting of the front bumper to get it to fit. You can retain the stock fog lights. I would recommend the kit.

Thanks for the reply. I agree for the pricing it's hard to ignore. My tuner heavily suggesting the Process West TMIC, but I really would prefer a FMIC setup. And if this turns out to be a worthwhile product, it will be the way I am going to go. ROBITRICE what were your power goals and what did you end up putting down when you got it tuned with the FMS FMIC?

power goals were roughly 330, i put down 315 (airboy) with a boost leak so we could not completely dial in the boost at that time and it was a street tune. The process west is a nice unit but you are going to spend almost twice as much for something that has been proven to perform. Check out Sigmafours build thread and read about his Spearco TMIC setup and that is essentially the biggest TMIC setup we have for our cars. I have my FMS setup for sale but you are a little to far away for comfort to ship it.

I have my FMS setup for sale but you are a little to far away for comfort to ship it.

Why are you getting rid of it? And I live in Vail CO, half the year (winter) and on Long Island NY for the other half. I'll be back in NY next weekend actually

• 4 weeks later...

Got a really good deal on the kit from import image so I went for it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/apara9as.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/bu8yhe3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/6aju7uja.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/yqymuvyd.jpg

Fitment *looks* pretty good. How well did the install process go? My only gripe with most FMIC's is that you have to take the bumper beam off. If I ever went front mount, it'd have to be RacerX.

Fitment *looks* pretty good. How well did the install process go? My only gripe with most FMIC's is that you have to take the bumper beam off. If I ever went front mount, it'd have to be RacerX.

This kit comes with a new bumper beam , and the only modification I really had to do was to enlarge the holes on the bumper beam to get the mounting holes on the core to line up properly. They were only off by a tiny bit on each side. The installation process wasn't all that bad. Honestly the worst part was trimming the bumper to accommodate the core. I didn't want to take off too much at one time so I trimmed it little by little until it fit in there perfect. So it was just more time consuming than anything, but better safe than sorry.

Ah I should have clarified. I meant the actual crash beam that has to be removed to fit this. You did have to remove the crash beam correct?

I'm glad to hear it went well! FMS is usually highly disregarded for crap IC cores on this forum. I do feel like they do the job though compared to the big name ones.

Yeah the crash beam is removed and replaced by a smaller one (still steel, I believe) only about an inch and a half thick though.

Stock- http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/udu9ujeg.jpg

Replacement-http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/agu4usa7.jpg

Yeah from the research I did on FMS intercoolers seems like their top mount pieces are not too good of quality. I've read of poor welds, debris inside the core, etc. my FMIC came with decent welds no debris in the core. Should be getting a tune this week so I'll report back after that

My tuner recommended I get a good tmic over the racerx I bought after I told him 300whp and a smooth runny dd was my goal. I am glad I did because the install was a lot cheaper. I still made 310whp. I just wish I had a sprayer for autox

Wasn't bashing on the TMIC just seemed like they were more prone to having defects on or in the core itself. I'm hoping to make similar power (around 300whp) don't want to test the strength of my tranny too much....

• 1 month later...

Archived