LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
Wonder what else they've done to the 2.0T in the WRX versus the FXT?

Looks like HP is slightly less on the FXT (250 vs. 268), but both have a twin-scroll turbo. Not sure if it's the same twin-scroll, though. That, and no MT on the FXT. HT-CVT is available on both WRX and FXT (though of course I opted for the 6MT).

VF39 hits peak boost faster than a 16g. 16g hold up top better. Similar, but not the same. VF52 hits peak boost faster than either of them.

I am "playing" with housings now as we have been testing the new KillerB Spoolinator. I recently learned how to use a Garret CHRA, a custom modified Garrett compressor housing (ATP) and a Tial hotside to make a GTX3067r hit 20psi by 2800rpm on an EJ25 (in the stock location) and a GTX3576r hit 20psi by 3200rpm on an EJ25 (in the stock location). Blown away by how much the housing changes effect the overall turbo performance.

This, I want to hear lots more about this!

Edited by xtea

Really wish FMIC wasn't a CARB issue in CA. How much lag does an FMIC introduce over a TMIC?

Cant help you with CARB. Technically any intercooler that is not stock is illegal. None have been approved. If set up properly the difference is minimal. If it was that bad, would race cars (like our sponsored Time Attack car) use them???

And Mike, how would the WBR compare to the ETS?

Been a long time since I was able to test a WBR. J's wagon was the last one I worked with and he went back to stock earlier this year. But... my gut says no contest. ETS. For instance we tested an Perrin FMIC against a ETS FMIC. ETS made 25whp gain (all in timing, same boost level). Its that efficient and cools that well.

This, I want to hear lots more about this!

Some info is here:

http://killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Page2425.htm

Other than what Chris is willing to openly post, I dont want to say too much. But, its friggin awesome. Our power band just increased by a good 1000rpm without having to wind up any higher.

Other than what Chris is willing to openly post, I dont want to say too much. But, its friggin awesome. Our power band just increased by a good 1000rpm without having to wind up any higher.

Would you willing to state if those results were on the 0.64 A/R housing or a larger item?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Some info is here:

http://killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Page2425.htm

Since it's on that page - for anyone wanting to consider this, and who doesn't already have parts lying around, we're looking at $3500 just for the modified turbo + accessories, correct? With CA tax, that's almost $4k. It sounds good, but that's past my level of "willing to pay for it".

Would you willing to state if those results were on the 0.64 A/R housing or a larger item?

So far we have been able to test .63 and .82.

Here are some .63 results (stock long block using stock STi TMIC and the TMIC was the end limiting factor, ie why the pull stops at 6100rpm) on pump gas.

http://photos.killerbmotorsport.com/i.ashx?gallery=4450742&mid=88839649&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

http://photos.killerbmotorsport.com/i.ashx?gallery=4450742&mid=88839651&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

Since it's on that page - for anyone wanting to consider this, and who doesn't already have parts lying around, we're looking at $3500 just for the modified turbo + accessories, correct? With CA tax, that's almost $4k. It sounds good, but that's past my level of "willing to pay for it".
Its cheaper than some rotated set ups and you can use whatever FMIC you prefer.

Been a long while since I have posted! I just wanted to say thanks for all the business everyone here has given me! Beginning of the year I will drop the prices on my basic EVO/18G for the LGTs back down to $725!

Please don't PM me, just pick up the phone and call!

Have a good Christmas!

Edited by Bryan@BNR

• 3 weeks later...
I am getting ready to purchase a BNR 16G and oil supply lines from Infamous for my 05OBXT 5EAT. I have 110K miles on the stock turbo, which has never failed. Can anyone suggest a good Subaru mechanic in South Florida to do the work? I am in West Palm. Will travel. Dealer is my only known option.

I am getting ready to purchase a BNR 16G and oil supply lines from Infamous for my 05OBXT 5EAT. I have 110K miles on the stock turbo, which has never failed. Can anyone suggest a good Subaru mechanic in South Florida to do the work? I am in West Palm. Will travel. Dealer is my only known option.

You'll probably end up doing it yourself. Dealers won't install non-OEM parts, nor will they install parts you bring them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Friends, i have 2005 model year OBXT with stage 2 - COBB firmware + catless downpipe and tomei equal lenght headers.

Waiting of mine GRIMMSpeed TMIC

what bolton (?) turbo should i to prefer?

thanx a lot

Only thing you can run without fuel mods will be a 16g/vf52, and even then you'll be maxing a stock fueling setup. That's probably all you want with a stock shortblock anyway.

If you want to do fuel (and have a good "just in case" fund in case of shortblock issues or clutch issues), then you can open up a lot of options.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Friends, i have 2005 model year OBXT with stage 2 - COBB firmware + catless downpipe and tomei equal lenght headers.

thanx a lot

Well, first, let's establish some goals:

What is your car's primary purpose?

Does it need to be reliable and have a long service life?

What kind of driving events do you participate in, if any?

Where would you like your powerband to be?

All these factors come into play when selecting the right turbo for your application. Once you have a clearer picture in mind, you can begin to start researching parts.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know the measurements of the exducer and inducer of say the vf40, vf52, bnr16g, bnr18g etc? I've seent a lot of pics side by side among these, dyno comparisons and flow rates as well but never these figures in particular.

thanx a lot

Do the Tomei equal length headers come with a catless uppipe? If not, that might be my next bolt on before grabbing a bigger turbo.

Edited by 05legacygtr
*if not

I wanted some headers initially but the funds do not permit at the moment and from what i understand it wont make too much of a difference for my more modest whp goals but, we'll see i heard they sound pretty nice, even without the boxer rumble.

• Moderators
just bought this

http://www.subaruperformanceengines.com/imagepages/image20.html

my 23psi BNR turbo split my stock block- liner and all...

Closed deck block with pistons for $1200? I'm confused...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

no no!

he's building a short block for me for 3300- he would have built out a long block with my heads (and he'd rebuild my heads!) for 4100!

I'm just over 400 at the wheel at 23psi- apparently too much for our blocks...