LegacyGT.com

Windshield Repair in SD?

Mungo

Noticed I have a crack, and I do recall getting nailed by a rock or something a few days ago.

Any recommendations? I'll have to check with my insurance company and see if I was smart enough to get the windshield protection. I think it's doubtful...so I'm probably looking at repair vs replace. It is still a relatively small crack.

Looking more closely at it I think it will need to be replaced -- it is much bigger than I thought, and splits in 2 directions. Good news is that my deductible is only $250. AAA says I can use whoever I want for replacement, though they'll have their local preferred shop contact me.

My question now is should I insist on OEM glass or go aftermarket? From what I've heard the Subaru glass is pretty thin, so my first thought is the latter. Am I overlooking something that would influence this decision?

I was at Uptown Touchless on Normal St. the other day getting my car washed and they now have someone checking windshields and doing repairs. I wasn't impressed with their sales technique as they went on and on promising that it was 100% covered by insurance with no increase in my premium (I hate pushy sales people). Well, I called Progressive and they did say repairs were covered under comprehensive, deductible free, but they could not state what effect it would have on my premium, as it would show as a claim.

I just paid out of pocket ($40) and avoided the insurance claim. This was for a little chip that they just rounded out to prevent cracking. Didn't even look like they filled it with anything, but they gave me a year warranty so I'll take it back if it develops into anything more.

As for replacement, I'm not sure if you're better off with factory or aftermarket glass. I've had windshields replaced before with aftermarket glass without issue, but sometimes you end up with glass that shows swirls, like you get on your paint.

The folks from Poway All-Star Glass are coming to my workplace later today. They said it is a $700 item because it is heated. I'm glad that my out of pocket won't be much.

Will let you all know how it goes.

That went pretty well. My only complaint was that the Gamorreans who swapped the windshield got their grubby paws all over my interior. I think it all came off with interior wipes but I'll have to give it a look again in the daylight.

That went pretty well. My only complaint was that the Gamorreans who swapped the windshield got their grubby paws all over my interior. I think it all came off with interior wipes but I'll have to give it a look again in the daylight.

did you have wind issues??

i just got mine done by safelite windows. they are a nationwide company. i got it done because it got a crack during transport of my car from washington state and the the shipping company had an account with them..

that said, the people were great.. and they were really careful about the car's interior and paint.. but i am getting more wind noise and here the engine a lot more. it is really pissing me off. but they are coming back today to see if they can fix it..

anyways.. a bit late..

laterz

k

Archived