LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light after 4 guage install

NickB34

I took the legacy to CarToys to have them install a 4 guage power wire along with some RCA cables... that is all. I turn the car on and get a check engine light. Everybody is puzzled... nothing was cut, disconnected, nothing. It's 9:00, so shops are open to pull the code. Curious if anybody has had an experience like this or has any suggestions?

Just got back from the dealer a bit ago. They did a diagnostics on it and apparently there is a plug somewhere under the glove box area where they installed the wire. This plug is supposed to be plugged in for delivery or something to that matter, but not to be plugged in while driving. I didn't ask enough questions to find out what it is really for... just happy that they didn't try to go charge me anything for it, especially as it wasn't my mistake.

For future reference if anybody ever has this problem again, it was a permanently flashing check engine light, no other lights flashing. The only ill effects I discovered from this issue was when I had turned the car to the "on" position (not start) I could hear some relays clicking around in that under glove box location and then the engine fans would turn on for a half second or so and this would continue in an indefinite loop.

For future reference if anybody ever has this problem again, it was a permanently flashing check engine light, no other lights flashing. The only ill effects I discovered from this issue was when I had turned the car to the "on" position (not start) I could hear some relays clicking around in that under glove box location and then the engine fans would turn on for a half second or so and this would continue in an indefinite loop.

Someone plugged the two green "Test Mode Connectors" together for some reason. Don't you love people that can't keep their hands off of things? These should be disconnected when operating your vehicle.

Give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably thought that while they were running the wires that they accidentally pulled the connector apart. I think that gives all of us a reason to tape our test connectors up. See my sig.
Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Archived