LegacyGT.com

96 legacy 5 speed swap discount del check

Hi New here to Subaru yup I'm sube noob. But I'm still a mechanic 15yrs+. I have a 96 legacy ls auto I picked for 500 needed a tune up. The motor has 130k on it now and running strong as hell everyday. Only problem is, its auto. So for parts list I wanna make sure I got it right

Tranny

Crossmember

Starter

Ecu

Shift linkage

Short throw

Flywheel

Clutch kit

Pedal assembly

Driveshaft

Clutch cable

Clutch Slave cylinder

Then I guess some wiring. And I noticed my the 5speed master slave has 3 lines 2 for brakes 1 for clutch my auto has 3 but one is capped so couldn't I uncap it and run line to clutch slave. I done care for cruise or abs I already took both out and theres no light cuz I'm good like that. So for wiring what exactly do I have to do and i know I need odds n ends like bushings, trim pieces, could be missing cpl things. And i know gear ratios have to match. I'm not buying a parts car either I have access to salvage yard. So please input tips tricks advice from someone who has done the swap would be nice. Planning on getting ally parts by end of month and come June do swap n put New motor in and get her finished up n painted. Thanks

the smartest way to do this is to buy a complete ''wrecked'' 5 speed parts car.

that way you are guaranteed to have all the parts you need and then some, like wheels?

once the swap is done, scrap the chassis for a few $$$.

GL

I done need parts car i have access to a salvage yard w discounted prices cuz I'm a parts member. (EBay store) and have cpl cars sitting around already being parted don't need another. And I have a 5 speed legacy for reference. I have some parts already as I come across good parts i get em before anyone else can and i done need it eBay it for more then what I paid either way so it don't matter I just wanted some insight from someone who has done it successfully w no problems and gain more knowledge on it before I just go ahead and jump into it

Ok so whats the deal w gear ratios I have 96 ls 4eat and my donor car is a 96 legacy out back w cable tranny so from what im told is my legacy has 4:11 and the donor has 3:90 and i need tranny from a 2.5 to match my 4:11rear dif. I'd rather have 4:11 then the 3:90

Ok so whats the deal w gear ratios I have 96 ls 4eat and my donor car is a 96 legacy out back w cable tranny
if ''cable tranny'' means a 5 speed trans, then the gear ratios do not match

for 95 - 99 cars, legacy and impreza:

2.2L engine, 5 speed = 3.9

2.2L engine, auto trans = 4.11

2.5L engine, 5 speed = 4.11

2.2L engine, auto trans = 4.44

pick your poison.

the one, kind of exception, to the above is the 96 manual trans OUTBACK,

it has the ej22 engine and the 4.11 manual trans.

hth.

Ok so if its a outback ill be fine then right and itd be the easiest way cuz its def a wagon style 1996 w 2.2 w cable clutch. Cuz my buddy owns a salvage yard and this car came in today and i hadem keep it out The yard so I can get what I need. If its got 3.9 in it ill just pull a 2.5 rear dif. I just wanna get all my parts n as much knowledge as I can before I do this swap cuz I plan on doin it soon. Ive done this to plenty of Hondas as i used to be a Honda guy n hated Subaru until I drove my buds n fell in love and made this my new project

Ok so I came across a 96 impreza outback 2.2 5 speed cable clutch I got the tranny, pedals with switches and cables, linkage, I ordered flywheel and clutch n short shifter, still need to grab cross member, drive shaft, and center console pieces. Am I forgetting anything. And for wiring I just have to wire the pedal switches to pins on my stock auto ecu or to manual ecu..please enlighten me

FWIW, the 3.90FD would be nicer to drive on the freeway if you'll be doing a lot of that. I plan on swapping in the drivetrain from a Legacy L 5-speed into my 99 OBW so I can cruise our 75mph freeways here at less than 3500RPM!

all of these cars have a 2 piece drive shaft.

there is a good chance that one section will swap.

on the legacies, the MT and AT are different lengths,

but the long section in the rear are the same size.

the front sections are the parts that are different.

but this is a moot point.

if you are harvesting parts,

you may as well get the complete shaft that fits.

mark it before you remove it and you will be sure it is balanced.

Just did this swap and here's what I got:

- Tranny (5MT)

- Slave Cylinder (Pain in the ass to install unless you can remove brake booster, which is also a pain in the ass.)

- ECU (debate about whether you need this or not, read up on it)

- Shifter & Pedal Assemblies (You might want to pull a gas pedal too, although it'll still work with just clutch and brake pedal assy.)

- Driveshaft (Not sure which half of the shaft is actually what you need, I want to say the rear. There is about a 2.25" difference here between the 4EAT and the 5MT Driveshaft as a whole.)

- Rear Diff (fits current CV axles, so no need to replace.)

- Front and rear cross members under tranny/driveshaft

If I could go back I'd also get the center console piece around the shifter because I'm pretty sure they're different. My car is a 98 Legacy Outback EJ25D and the donor car was a 97 Legacy Outback Limited EJ25D. Note that the 30th Anniversary edition's ECU will not be the same in other models. Pretty sure the 30th has two sunroofs if you're not sure.

EDIT: Also if I could go back and do it again (which I'm REALLY glad I don't have to), I'd get a grease pen or something and mark all of the parts "AT" or "MT". I broke a starter at 4am trying to bolt it up and simultaneously trying not to fall asleep. What I'm saying is, keep your parts organized and it'll be 100x easier.

• 1 month later...

Archived