LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 vs Stock clutch

canoeboy

Hi All, I've done some searching and have had some mixed findings. I'm debating getting a downpipe and moving on to stage2. (I'm currently a stage1 COBB ots) If I do, can I assume my stock clutch is not long for this world? I don't want the relatively small investment in a DP to end up costing me considerably more due to other failures caused by the extra power.

I'm on stage 2 with exedy stage1 clutch kit, comes with lwfw. Works for me, the longevity of it depends on the driver like any clutch. Its not going to take many launches and there is some slippage when your romping between gears but I beat the hell out of it and it keeps coming back for more. How many miles are on your stock clutch is the better question!!! If its a new clutch I say play ball, but if this clutch is already at the end of its life expect to need a new one sooner.

your at 85k on stock clutch? That clutch wont last much longer with or without a stage2 tune, I'd start preparing for a new clutch regardless!!! I'd say around 100k-110k that clutch will go. So the answer is yes, dont expect that clutch to last much longer after going stage 2, I could be wrong, but clutches are meant to be worn out and replaced.

• Moderators
I have almost 70k miles on mine and the clutch is slipping towards the end of my stage 2 tune. I've only owned it for ~5k miles though, so no idea how previous owners drove it (although I don't expect that it was really beat on at all).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Ive been stage 2 for about a year and going stage 3 soon. I bought the car in 07 with 20k on it and it has 75k on it now. Stock clutch with a few launches at the strip. Holding fine so far. Hoping to get a few more months out of it so its not as much as a hit to the pocket with going stage 3.

I've only owned the car for the last 6,000 miles, and I'm assuming its the original clutch.

Clutch aside, is there anything else I should be concerned about. It seems like stage2 is pretty safe and anything beyond that is where things get a bit iffy.

• Moderators
I've only owned the car for the last 6,000 miles, and I'm assuming its the original clutch.

Clutch aside, is there anything else I should be concerned about. It seems like stage2 is pretty safe and anything beyond that is where things get a bit iffy.

Just make sure your general maintenance is in order--oil, spark plugs, coolant, etc. And stage 2 should include a catless up pipe as well even though it's not technically required.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Get one used on the forums, they routinely come up for sale. Then get yourself a tune before installing. May want to consider a BP TMIC mod for stage 2, since the OEM TMIC has been known to pop its endtanks at higher presssures--PM BarManBean above.

These two mods & a tune will turn your smile into an excessive grin.

Tits mcgee

I have almost 70k miles on mine and the clutch is slipping towards the end of my stage 2 tune. I've only owned it for ~5k miles though, so no idea how previous owners drove it (although I don't expect that it was really beat on at all).

Ahhhh, I am in the middle of tuning for stage 2 as well, and was wondering why my clutch was grabbing so high..... this is a brand new clutch no more than 5k miles on it and its showing signs of slipping. I definitely plan to upgrade to a stage 2 clutch, some people dont mind that slipping because it makes for smoother shifting but performance wise I want to stick and move. But I got the exedy oem kit FJK1001FW for 480 free shipping and got it the next day, so I couldnt pass it up.

Archived