LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy 40 MPG on freeway

40 may be a little outlandish claim, but you really have to baby it... 35-36MPG is a safe number to go with over time. I just made this video yesterday. Only thing the car has is a Hogzaust mod and K&N filter. Car has roughly 37,000 miles on it also, fully maintained and serviced... I can average about 32MPG with about half city driving. Not bad if you ask me. The key to this MPG rate is to not excede anthing faster then 60 to 63MPH.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF93xsGn6bY]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 40 MPG Part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpj4Jbv7o8]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 40 MPG Part 2[/ame]

Wow! I have 4EAT also and I'm hoping to hit low-30s once I replace my panel filter and intake pipe.

+1 on the driving slowly. I have already picked up about 3mpg this summer by slowing down on the freeway. I'm not brave enough to risk slowing all the way down to the speed limit, though -- I'll get run over!

Wow! I have 4EAT also and I'm hoping to hit low-30s once I replace my panel filter and intake pipe.

+1 on the driving slowly. I have already picked up about 3mpg this summer by slowing down on the freeway. I'm not brave enough to risk slowing all the way down to the speed limit, though -- I'll get run over!

The best thing to do is; find a semi thats going around 60 and tail them (you also the bonus of drafting) . Or you will get run over by others being impatient. I normally do 80+MPH and was averaging 27+MPG, it's amazing how much of an improvement you get when you slow down a bit.

i hit that once or twice before, right after filling up on a long drive and getting back onto the freeway instantly so i was 100% logged on highway miles, didn't last too long though eventually i drop down to 32-33mpg on long cruises

4EAT FTL :lol:

And let the flame wars begin... I'm never shocked when some idiot comes in, post some non relevant information; that has NOTHING to do with the post except to be insulting and showing their true IQ. WHAT DOES "4EAT FTL" (For the loss) have to do with my post? I mean... GROW UP IDIOT!

PLEASE, if you're going to make a comment: Back up what you say, instead of making unfounded claims of "4EAT FTL" and not specifying what you mean because of an lower then normal intelligence. Rather, why don't you log off and not come back on this forum; as you provide no real benefit to it (except to make your insecure self feel better).

4EAT FTL :lol:

Ohh snap! Okay, let me start of by saying i'm a avid reader of this forum. Been reading if for years and never made a post. But i HAD to create an account to reply to this.

I CAN'T STAND GEE-OTTO and his comments are always non informative and just to talk crap to others! Thanks hurricane! Well said!

:wub:

Ohh snap! Okay, let me start of by saying i'm a avid reader of this forum. Been reading if for years and never made a post. But i HAD to create an account to reply to this.

I CAN'T STAND GEE-OTTO and his comments are always non informative and just to talk crap to others! Thanks hurricane! Well said!

:wub:

I am glad to have recruited another fellow legacy lover to our forums and if you didnt figure it out by now that wasnt a serious post " 4EAT FTL" more comical 4EAT the transmission gets a hard wrap historically on any Subbie site so don't get to bent out of shape. Post more read more im sure the Mods love to see new users :lol: To you sir, g-day FTL :rolleyes: although you may not get when/why FTL is used :eek:

:icon_cheeZOMG whoa dudes hold up I retract the 4EAT FTL post my bad i didnt know it would cause you such grief :eek: calm down Hurricane and new dude just poking some fun sheeesh! I hardly think im an idiot and simple math will yield accurate MPG do the math compare to the guage sometimes it is spot on some ( highway miles) sometimes it is way off ( combo driving and/or stop go ) in my own trials with the MPG ive had good and surprisingly bad results.

You really were upset weren't you ? and your little fanboy ??? Oh the forums and their perks

I would be interested to see what the actual fuel economy numbers are, not what the trip computer says you are getting. In my experience, the trip computer is never accurate, it pretty much always estimates high. I've got a 98 LGT with the 4EAT in good mechanical shape and much lighter than your car, and I've only gotten about 26mpg out of it. Granted, I haven't done a full trip drafting a semi, that was achieved with mostly 70mph speeds. I think I could probably hit 28-29 if I just set in behind a semi.

But, as long as it is done safely, drafting behind a semi is a very effective means of increasing your fuel economy. 1) it makes you drive slower than you probably would otherwise, and 2) MUCH less wind resistance since you are driving in a low pressure area behind the semi.

your fuel estimation display is just that a good estimate not very close to real time MPG when no ton the highway.

Yes...never think your mileage is truly that which shows on the car's computer display....never accurate in my experiences. Surprising how many folks actually think it is.

How about 4EAT + Turbo = FTL? I would endorse that :)

And what does that have to do with this thread? Start a new topic on how you think a 4EAT + Turbo would suck and actual data to back up what you say INSTEAD of hi-jacking a thread.

just to chime in on this whole display is not accurate thing. how do you not know that the pumps are accurate. some pumps fill up more gas in your tank than others. i was at this one pump and it never shut off. gas shot out of my tank and ran all down the side of my car. i have a 5mt and i hit 40.2 mpg on a trip to florida with my trunk loaded and 4 people in the car. i even calculated the math and it was only .5 mpg off, so i dont think that the display is that inaccurate.

just to chime in on this whole display is not accurate thing. how do you not know that the pumps are accurate. some pumps fill up more gas in your tank than others. i was at this one pump and it never shut off. gas shot out of my tank and ran all down the side of my car. i have a 5mt and i hit 40.2 mpg on a trip to florida with my trunk loaded and 4 people in the car. i even calculated the math and it was only .5 mpg off, so i dont think that the display is that inaccurate.

I concur, from my math... It's not that far off. It's actually usually spot on... You can attest then, it's possible. But you really have to baby the car to achieve this gas milage.

good mpg average makes me hopeful wiht my wifes 2.5i. only problem is hwy speed limits in co go up to 75mph and god forbid you go slower than that. hope she can get that 40 drive back to co from ma

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

yes, you really do have to baby the car. you have to hypermile it in order to get 40 mpg. that means putting it in neutral going down hills, dont break hard, dont launch the car when the light turns green. i mean you really have to watch how you drive. but you can get up to 40 mpg. ive als read that putting a lil acetone in your gas tank can improve your mileage up to 30%, but im can weary about that. any of you guys heard of this?

Archived