LegacyGT.com

OEM NAV install on 2008 Outback ... ugh

That Guy 2-1

Gonna start putting stuff together for my oem NAV setup ... decided to keep going until its either installed or someone bites and buys it ... lol. When I get everything installed for the final time, I'm no longer looking to sell haha.

This is gonna be a slow process 'cos I'm juggling between work/home/other car projects...

Here's what I'm starting with

uploadfromtaptalk1378942606609.jpg.edf2b84eefd7b8b38b41726a10724356.jpg

Back of the nav screen

uploadfromtaptalk1378942282315.jpg.fb2601a119856ebd17dd8d1eabed6189.jpg

Back of the dvd drive

uploadfromtaptalk1378942297030.jpg.fb23774d44a290b33e51adfd29b5b219.jpg

Connectors at radio

uploadfromtaptalk1378942314984.jpg.ef41eeb1d4fa2e13f43a64710e826c39.jpg

Back of radio and its amp harness

uploadfromtaptalk1378942353624.jpg.ab5a7cfad7eea16e989971566347722a.jpg

More to come as I get stuff ordered.

Took the list off of AkumaMax's thread:

What I have/ordered:

1. GPS Antenna - 86277AG12A

2. Navi Screen - 86281AG12A

3. DVD Drive - 86271AG04A

4. DVD Drive/GPS Antenna cord Drive/Navi Screen - 86273AG00A

5. DVD Drive 10 pin connector Harness(Kenwood Site only) - E30-4964-05

1. Tyco 16 pin connector(rear of Navi Screen) - 174147-2

2. Tyco 20 pin connector(rear of Navi Screen) - 174047-2

Yet to be ordered:

3. 14pin Radio Harness(forward & Reverse is needed)

4. Op connector from Subaru Japan(get from Japanparts.com) JDM Part No: H0077AG021

5. 040. 10 pin Clock Connector(easternbeaver.com)

6. NAVI DVD

Edited by That Guy 2-1

The last picture of the harness on the radio that can be used to power your GPS. Go ahead plug it in and give it a try it my not read anything but it should turn on. I know that harness is used for the SAT radio but if you are willing to give that function up for NAVI then just go out and buy 2 more pieces and this Navi install should be done in a matter of hours. Just one 10pin connector from kenwood is needed to power and control the DVD player. As well as the GPS antenna.(please don't go to ebay they do not fit the Green GPS connector even though it says it does. Again go through kenwood and kenwood only unless you find a used one.

10 Pin Connector:

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=59

GPS antenna:

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=61

This needs to be spliced into the harness on the last picture. There will be about 4ft of wires on the kenwood harness since they give enough to put it anywhere you like. Mine is tucked under the passengers side since my Subwoofer is under the drivers. Anyway if you need any wiring help please don't hesitate to check out my thread about navi install on an 05 model and just look for the 16pin(i90) connector colors and info and match them up with the 10pin(i50)connector. Kenwoods i50 connector will have similar colors but they will not match up. Your setup should be very simple. Just spend $120 for the missing plugs and you will have it up and running in no time at all!

Edited by AkumaMax

Good to hear bud. You are well on your way to getting this running. BTW did you try just plugging in the radio and using the xm wires to plug into the navi to see if it booted up. Of course you would not see a map since that is on the DVD player.

If you are worried about the SAT Harness you can get another harness from grom or ebay that will dasey chain to the SAT harness.

http://currentelectronics.co.nz/Ipod_Grom.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PGHSB1-ISIMPLE-MEDIA-GATEWAY-IPOD-IPHONE-INTEGRATION-WIRING-HARNESS-SUBARU-/350619264711

The only thing though is I have never got one of these myself so I can not add any input on if they work correctly.

If you can and you look at the back of that SAT wire harness in your picture and tell me what wires are what. To do this look at the plug from the back as if it was plugged into the SAT and Radio. Tell me colors. and number them from 1-10 and 11-20

Edited by AkumaMax

Thanks. I'll try using the sat harness on the screen and see if it turns on ... although I think I did plug it in like you said and the screen didn't come on ... it was hot and humid outside, so I really was not concentrating. Hope the stuff actually works, else I'm gonna have to argue with the seller...

Didn't work when I plugged in the sat harness; its for audio only? Here's the pinout colors.

1. GRY

2. BLU

3. RED

4. NOT USED

5. NOT USED

6. WHT

7. PNK

8. BLU/BLK

9. BLU

10. YEL

11. GRY/BLK

12. BLK

13. NOT USED

14. NOT USED

15. NOT USED

16. NOT USED

17. ORG

18. YEL/BLK

19. BLK

20. WHT/BLK

Is the OP connector plugged in somewhere or is it just hanging out secured? Seems like that's the way to go to avoid having to tap into too many harnesses. Also where/what's the i88 connector?

Edited by That Guy 2-1

ooooo... Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly for you 08 model the op harness was turned away in 07 since everything was made for plug and play into every model. I will have to look at all the info to see if there is a way to make it easy on you and use that harness. That way you can use that sat harness and buy the $20 one I linked and splice into that for the DVD drive harness and make everything work. The only problem I forseeing if that route can not work for you is getting the most important stuff to work by tapping into you signal wire behind the gauge cluster. It's 2 wires from what I remember one pink and one purple. Since I have some time right now I will look through my stuff and try and get back to you A.S.A.P. about how that Sat harness is wired. It's possible it is wired for audio and some wires just need to be switch when you get the daisy chained harness.

EDIT: As for the I88 connector it is one of the small black plugs in the 4th picture that says radio plugs. it's the one that is all black. The other one has a white insert that is called the I85 for AUX inputs.

Edited by AkumaMax

ok nevermind. I am an idiot. I was thinking this was a 16pin connector. That is what is used for the power and dvd stuff. As for the 20pin connector if you bought an extra harness like that the it should work for the audio. I can not say 100% because I have no way of testing it out for you. I'll have to take some time to map out everything for you

Lol I'm such a nerd. I've got.it all laid out so I can take my time and do the harness off the car. I'll have to tap into the i10 connector and radio harness, and find a reverse signal; which i'll use standard electronics connectors from radioshack so i can easily unplug if i ever want to take it off, but everything else should be plug and play OEM style!

uploadfromtaptalk1379646491919.jpg.1269dd5f89275eb2739599a7e260e49a.jpg

Edited by That Guy 2-1

ummm...Damn I know how things work wiring wise I just have no idea how to compile a diagram like that. As for review of your stuff that needs to be ordered. If you are using the radio harness way there is no need for the clock connector from easternbeaver nor the need for an OP connector since the OP connector is only supported on the 2005 and 2006.

This started out as a reply to That Guy 2-1's e-mail to me, but I realized much of this information would be better posted in this thread for others to see...

Even though the nav monitor screen has the same type of 20-pin socket as the one on the rear of the OEM head unit (used for the satellite radio receiver, iPod interface, and theoretically an external CD changer), in North American cars the monitor only uses that socket to convey the navigation voice guidance audio (2 wires) plus two control signals from the monitor to the HU.

Subaru's USDM wiring diagrams show the nav monitor's 20-pin harness (designated i120) has 4 wires going to the OEM HU's i88 harness (8-pin). I found a picture of the i120 harness from an unknown year which confirms that.

See my pin-out for i88 here. The nav audio is line level. The other two signals notify the HU when the nav system wants to talk, and when you press the hard buttons on the monitor screen (to generate key beeps). I think those latter two signals are +5V.

Outside of the USA and Canada, the OEM navigation systems convey the guidance prompt audio into the 20-pin socket on the back of the OEM HU. The harness has 14 of the 20 pins wired from the monitor to the HU -- basically all of the active pins shown in this pin-out table:

Pin orientation is viewing the socket on the rear of the head unit (the top side has the thumb latch).

10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1
20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11

1 NAVI
2 AUDIO-L
3 AUDIO-R
4 NC
5 NC
6 BUS-ON
7 MUTE
8 BUS -
9 BUS +
10 B/U

11 NAVI-GND
12 AUDIO-GND
13 NC
14 NC
15 NC
16 NC
17 RESET
18 GND(BUS)
19 GND(B/U)
20 BUS-OFF

Incidentally, "B/U" is just +12V Battery/constant (abbreviation for 'backup', as in memory backup). You'll see that abbreviation on the service manuals for various Subaru OEM HUs. It does not mean the reverse gear signal.

AkumaMax said that moving the harness from your XM tuner to the monitor will also power the monitor. Even so, the monitor will still need all of the car's signals on harness i119 (16-pin). So I don't see much advantage in connecting the monitor's 20-pin to the HU's 20-pin. In fact, I don't know if a North American monitor will correctly send the audio and control information to your HU via that connection.

Pins 1 and 11 are definitely an audio signal. But I don't know whether a monitor that was intended to be connected to a HU's i88 harness would provide the proper signals from pins 6 and 20 to the HU's 20-pin socket. I suspect not. Once you get all of the other harnesses assembled, it shouldn't hurt to try it, just to see if it will work.

The 20-pin harness plugs use the same terminals as 8-pin i85 and i88. So if you salvage harnesses and wiring from a wrecked Subaru, you can cannibalize wires from any of those harnesses to use in any of those plugs.

Unfortunately, the monitor's 16-pin plug requires different terminals. As far as I can tell, they are not the same as the ones used on the HU's 14-pin power/speaker harness.

Even if you get as many of the power signals as possible from the 14-pin radio harness, you'll still need +12V Ignition. The clock harness is the closest place to get that. However, Subaru's diagrams show that wire is present only on models where the clock can show fuel and temperature info. The other style of clock doesn't have Ignition (according to the diagrams).

I recently learned that various Subarus are apparently using an Eclipse-style plug on the GPS antennas. Here are pictures from an eBay listing:

1412046381_GPSantennaplug.thumb.jpg.11ad36757fd57e24651a01aa62fa95bb.jpg

That has been confirmed to fit the recent Subaru Fujitsu Ten nav, as well as the OEM Kenwood nav used in Impreza, Forester, and later Legacy/Outback (2010-up USDM, and 2008-up EDM). I'm almost certain it will fit this older Legacy/Outback nav too.

Here's one current eBay listing, from seller "ipodmp34capa". I've seen GPS antennas with a similar Eclipse plug from other vendors, including some shipped from Hong Kong. The prices are quite a bit cheaper than Kenwood's.

Here's another angle of the OEM GPS plug from a 2005 Outback:

1251218813_2005OutbackKenwoodFVZ-203F2GPSplug.jpg.ce73d5cbc80bb113f960edae676a0050.jpg

That's the best one I could find. In most of the pictures I have, people have left the antenna plugged into the nav unit. :spin:

509255872_EclipseGPSantenna.jpg.c5ae1af4f0258c1d0e32130842145140.jpg

Edited by SVXdc

Thanks for the awesome reply.

As far as the radio plugs, the 14-pi radio plug uses a large pins (.070?) while all the others seem to use the standard smaller pins (.040?). I did get the antenna from E-bay and the connector was slightly different. Mine looks exactly like your pics while the unit that was sent through Amazon had two extra tabs that I had to grind down to fit ... I will be submitting feedback 'cos it was a misrepresentation.

Also yeah, from all the wiring diagrams I've gone over, I've only been able to find the IGNITION connection from the clock connector ... and I've got the required wire, so lucky!!!

Edited by That Guy 2-1

to be honest the ignition connection doesn't have to be plugged in. When I was using the radio wire up method I tested it out having the IG connection connected and not connected. No difference since it was getting main feed for power from the radio. BTW thank you SVX for replying in this. I have use a lot of you wiring info to wire up my Navi to my 05 and make it a true plug and play unit. You make this place a hell of a lot better for the electrical side. As for the connection sizing yes they are different. While the radio uses I believe it was 16 gauge the navi uses 20 or 22 gauge wires. You can try to fit bigger wire into the connectors but the pins will not fit right. This is also the reason I say you need a Wire crimper that can not be found at any local store. Just for the fact that they are that small in size. If they were the radio size then it would be easy to get a pair of crimpers from a local store.

EDIT: Hoping to get my car back by next week. That way I can help you out 100% on how to wire this up. Like I said before the hardest wires to grab from are the ones that display info for the car.

Started crimping ends and made the required 16-pin and 20-pin sockets to plug into the NAVI screen. I just left about 6" of wire on each terminal wire so I can now start laying everything out and connecting the dots! The only wire I need to go looking for is the reverse signal (do I even need it?) ... however, I plan to install a reverse camera on the Molex connector too if I feel froggy, so I'll need it anyways.

Also, am getting the correct NAVI antenna sent from the seller on Amazon and will get a shipping ticket to send the wrong item they sent me first.

Edited by That Guy 2-1

Good to hear. As for the Reverse signal you do not need it unless you want a camera down the line. Otherwise just Ground it. Know when you are wiring things up you might want to take a look at the Navi hack thread. There are wires on the DVD drive side and Navi screen side that need to be grounded. I may have put it in my thread too but not sure it's been a while since I updated it. Ground the required wires will allow you to use the navi while in motion. Again it's not really a big issue but I wanted all options open so I wired them accordingly. As for DVD I'm not sure if anyone has the new DVD but there is a thread about the DVD for the newest one. People usually charge about $10 or so for them. Not bad considering they are $100+. I have a DVD of version 7(current is 8). I'll try and see if I can find out how to go about burning dual layer DVD's since that is what they use and see if I can get one out to you.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah you had the ground mod in there for pin-13.

The reverse signal is a ground? Thought it was +12v cos its a pink wire coming from the DVD drive.

Also, yeah a DVD would def help lol

I know this thread doesn't interest many people but yours and svx's help has been invaluable!

As far as the radio plugs, the 14-pi radio plug uses a large pins (.070?) while all the others seem to use the standard smaller pins (.040?)

The plug for the monitor screen's 16-pin socket uses 070 terminals too, but I'm fairly sure they are different than the 070 terminals for the radio's 14-pin plug. At least, Tyco shows different part numbers for the terminals. I haven't looked closely at Tyco's drawings to compare them.

The reverse signal is a ground? Thought it was +12v ...

The reverse signal is +12V when in reverse. AkumaMax was just saying to ground that pin until you connect it to the car's actual reverse signal. I'll bet you could just leave that pin vacant for now -- the DVD unit and monitor likely both have their own pull-down circuitry.

The plug for the monitor screen's 16-pin socket uses 070 terminals too, but I'm fairly sure they are different than the 070 terminals for the radio's 14-pin plug. At least, Tyco shows different part numbers for the terminals. I haven't looked closely at Tyco's drawings to compare them.

The reverse signal is +12V when in reverse. AkumaMax was just saying to ground that pin until you connect it to the car's actual reverse signal. I'll bet you could just leave that pin vacant for now -- the DVD unit and monitor likely both have their own pull-down circuitry.

Yes that is what I meant in a way. I used a beanie connector to crimp it out for now until I have the time to put a camera in. As for the interest in the pins between the radio and 16 pin connector. When I was fiddling around with my extra wire harness I was trying to save as many Tails with pins on them and was checking to see if they fit in any of the connectors I was using. I know that the Radio pins did fit into the 16pin navi connector but did have a little wiggle. Once the rear bar is clamped down they will not come out so in theory if someone is having a hard time getting pins for their connector on the navi side they can buy a cheap radio harness and remove the tails from there.

hopefully, will get some time to work on it tonight. It's the wife's daily and she gets home from work late every day and I just can't seem to get a time to work on the damn thing. She's not working tonight, but she's working the weekend, so I'm not gonna be able to do anything this weekend either! I may run the part of the harness that I have built tonight, so that the rest would be smaller connections I can do when I get small windows of opportunity ... she can't drive my car; Manual V8 Camaro

Was able to route the harness from under the driver seat to the center console tonight. Need to make a braket for one side of the dvd player to mount. Then ill start looking into mounting everything and making the final connections. Small steps... may do some taps (peel back and solder the wires in place, no taps or cuts) into the radio harness and use a 6place radioshask connector for those signals and a 4-pin connector for the i10 signals. It'll be kinda plug and play for mine but not directly plug and play for another car, lol ... or if I feel like waiting a few days once I get everthing mounted/routed i'll get the radio forward/reverse harness from svx and the i10 forward/reverse if its also available ... whered you guys get your i10 connectors? Edited by That Guy 2-1

Am I not sure where I got them from but they are JH connectors. If I recall I am the only person on the net that was able to find both the male and female. The problem is the male is like a normal connector while the female(usually Soldered to a board into the gauge cluster) has no connector parts but are solder points. Sometime down the road I am going to do a board connection in a small box that has an in/out for the correct wires. Again the I10 connectors are hard to find and I bought 2 different kinds of the I10 connectors since there was a straight solder and an angle solder(for Board application).