LegacyGT.com

Most likely wheel bearing? Pulsating whirring noise.

I'd imagine this is my wheel bearing from what I have read. I have a loud noise since I bought my 2008 legacy gt a couple months ago.

Coming from the front driver side. Thought it was the tires at first but really loud and sometimes pulsates so its led me to believe it is the wheel bearing.

It is much louder when I turn the steering wheel to the left and then quieter when straight and even more quiet when I turn the steering wheel to the right.

Also when I brake the steering wheel shakes a good bit. I'd imagine this is just another issue such as pads or rotors but maybe could be related.

At certain speeds it almost feels like the driver front wheel is like loose or something. Checked the lugs and all are tight but lost feels like it is wobbling when going around 50mph. Only once in a while though.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Forgot to mention I can also feel in the steering wheel when turning a sort of grinding feel or something. Hard to explain but I can feel a weird vibration when turning it a little bit. Not like a shake but can feel something up front that like grinds or creaks when turning if that makes any sense.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

I'm guessing wheel bearing. On the 05's the rears usually went bad first so it's kind of strange it's the front. Are you sure your suspension parts are all well maintained? No bad ball joints or anything like that?

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I'm not really sure at all. I haven't had a chance to jack it up and look around really as I've been really busy recently and the weather has been nasty.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86994

Have you checked out this thread yet? It contains a detailed walkthrough for replacing the hub/bearing assembly. It also has several members' descriptions of their bad wheel bearing symptoms, and tips for diagnosing the problem.

Just changed the right front one on my '08, this thread was very helpful.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=146723&d=1364623647

Paul

Make sure you use a OEM hub/bearing for the fronts.

They are cheaper then some aftermarket any way's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are the oem ones better? From reading on them they seem pretty crappy! Never had a bearing go bad under 150k miles in any car I've owned before.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

There was a recall on bearings for cars under 100K. I'm guessing they've fixed the problem because I replaced both rears and I'm still in good shape after 45K or so.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Did one of my rears @ 75k, thing was shot. Got 101k now and the other three originals are non issue...yet

Fyi save one of the hubs you remove, with a little ingenuity and a slide hammer you can make doing the next one a lot easier

There was a recall on bearings for cars under 100K. I'm guessing they've fixed the problem because I replaced both rears and I'm still in good shape after 45K or so.

Was there actually a recall? I thought they just extended the warranty terms to cover rear bearing failure for 100k miles. I was also pretty sure that the front wheel bearings were considered a wear item and not included in the warranty extension. I hope I'm wrong about this.

The TSB indicates that it was an extended warranty and not a recall, and only addresses the rear wheel bearings. I couldn't find anything on the fronts.

Subaru. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks. Is there a part number for that? I'll look around for the best price. Found an 05-09 legacy front wheel bearing/hub just not sure if gt is the same or not.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Found this part number on eBay and searched it. Is there a difference for right or left or the same?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-front-wheel-bearing.html

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Found this part number on eBay and searched it. Is there a difference for right or left or the same?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-front-wheel-bearing.html

they are the same, side doesn't matter. front and rear does matter, they are different.

Have you read the DIY for replacing the hub ?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-wheel-bearing-diy-walkthrough-86994.html

I may have posted in there...yea, may have...lol

Archived