LegacyGT.com

EcuFlash Not Working After Windows 7 Install

KyLegacy 2.5GT

Has anybody else had problems with EcuFlash not working with Windows 7? I was able to get RomRaider to work properly, but EcuFlash just won't cooperate!!!

Attached is a screenshot of what EcuFlash is telling me when I try to read or do anythings from the ECU... As you can see the program is recognizing the cable (all of the icons are in color).

The green connectors are connected under the passenger side dash.. I have the baud rate tuned down on the COM PORT to 4800.. I have the drivers installed for the cable..

When I click 'Read from ECU', the box the choose the car type pops up. I click the 2005-2006 LGT/Baja model and I get the error 'Unable to connect to vehicle interface'!!! (see attachment again) WTF?

Does anybody have any ideas? This all worked fine with Windows XP!

EcuFlash.png.144da4ffc3ab56e7cd609889f08e0393.png

I am using the VAG-COM cable... I never had problems with it on XP. I can log and read all of my parameters in RomRaider so I know the drivers are working.

I can't remember how the screen looked before when it was identifying the cable.

I even tried downloading the new beta version on EcuFlash and I still get the same problems. I worked on this for about 5 hours today and had no luck. I read online to install the 32bit Java and all sorts of different drivers, nothing worked.

I had a check engine light and I wanted to reflash my tune with the code depressed. As I was working in RomRaider earlier I was able to reset the ECU with the VAG-COM cable. That, plus being able to log, tells me that the cable is working and so is RomRaider. Why not EcuFlash?

Is there any other program that can be used to flash the ECU other than EcuFlash???

Have you tried running the program as an administrator? (Right-click icon > Run as Administrator)

How about in WinXP Compatibility Mode? (Right-click icon > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Check Compatibility box and make sure Windows XP is selected in the drop-down menu)

Note: I have Vista, not Win7, so I'm assuming those same options are still there. Those are some things that I've had to do to make some programs work after moving from WinXP.

Yes, I did try running the program as an administrator and didn't have any luck. I even tried downloading the file outside of the "Programs" directory so I didn't have to be an admin to make any changes to the system.

I just went to the properties tab and switched it to XP compatibility mode, I will try and run the program again tomorrow after work.

Are there any other ideas to try as well?

I talked to some people at work today and they think it may be from having the 64bit operating system. Keith, which Windows 7 are you running? I am running the 64bit Professional.

Is anybody else using Windows 64bit?

Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit. I actually tried using a VAG-COM cable, and never could get it to work. Ended up buying Tactrix. But I also tried that cable on an XP laptop and it still didn't work.

Any luck fixing this problem?? You have me even more stumped. I just installed Romraider and EcuFlash on my Netbook running Win7 starter and everything seems to work fine. The only difference is the fact that I have a Tactrix Cable. I ran all the lastest drivers for the cable, the lastest version of RR and Learn Viewer. Do you have anyone in your area with the Tactrix cable you could use to test out to see if it works?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Any luck fixing this problem?? You have me even more stumped. I just installed Romraider and EcuFlash on my Netbook running Win7 starter and everything seems to work fine. The only difference is the fact that I have a Tactrix Cable. I ran all the lastest drivers for the cable, the lastest version of RR and Learn Viewer. Do you have anyone in your area with the Tactrix cable you could use to test out to see if it works?

You can never go wrong with Tactrix!

I tried taking an older XP laptop and installed EcuFlash along with the proper drivers for the VAG/COM cable and it still didn't work! I am wondering if EcuFlash will only work with the Tactrix cable now????

The issue that I still don't understand is that I can use RomRaider with absolutely no problems at all! I really don't want to buy a $160 cable to reflash an existing program with a disabled check engine code. Are there any other programs to try?

• 5 months later...

I was just referring to the ecu_defs.xml file, and the ecuflash definition subaru file. You just copy the subaru folder contents to the location where ecuflash is installed under "program files". The ecu_defs file is for romraider. THat is nice and convenient they sent that cd along.

It took me a few times to get it working, I uninstalled/reinstalled ecuflash a few times before I got it going.

When you uninstall, make sure you scroll down and uninstall anything that says tactrix, there are uusally some drivers down there somewhere. Once you do that and reinstall, just make sure you recopy the xml files into the directory where ecuflash is installed. It took me 2-3 days to get mine working, but I do notice that you are using that vag cable, I have a tactrix, so I can't really speak to that particular cable.

Sounds like a software issue with ecuflash then, if the cable works for datalogging with romraider, you know it works, so that is good. My initial issues were due to there not being a valid definition for my vehicle.

Archived