LegacyGT.com

Focal Speakers

basbal241b

I was just at tweeter today looking for speakers......the Focals there were around $950....i mean the sounded awesome....but are they really worth the money?? For those who have heard them or have them in their LGT's. Thanks

well i got a quote he bumped them down to like $750.....the whole system i got quoted on was the Focal components up front...2ways in the rear(aslo Focal but not NEARLY as expensive..JL 5 channel amp...CleanSweep..and a JL10w3....with install for $2,500.....Good Deal??

Yeah, pretty good deal depending on what some of those non-specific pieces are. Pretty similiar to my setup that I'm loving lately - the Focals kick arse.

This is a pretty JL Audio - dedicated group, so I'm going out on a limb here to say be sure to audition some different amps with those speakers. The speakers are good enough to reveal the sonic differences between amps, and there are lots of differences. IMO the Eclipse amps do REALLY well with those speakers, much better than the JL amps I've heard. Plus they're cheaper.

About the speakers - which ones are you looking at? Utopia, KP, K2P? I'm curious why they gave away $200 on them. If it's the KP's, it's b/c they were overpriced in the first place. Utopia's or K2P's (basically the same speaker), that's a good deal.

Also check RTP's post about his tweeter install epic with those speakers so you can get them set up right the first time.

I have been running focals for a few years now and I absolutely love them. Just make sure you are getting enough power to them, they are hungry. I was underpowering them for awhile, and when I got a new amp, I suddenly realized what they could really do.

I ran Focal speakers in my Competition car. If it gives you any indication of how much I loved those speakers, I still have them and will be making them into home speakers.

FYI, I had a custom set with a custom set of passive cross overs.. :)

I was just at tweeter today looking for speakers......the Focals there were around $950....i mean the sounded awesome....but are they really worth the money?? For those who have heard them or have them in their LGT's. Thanks

I have the KPs. Search for my install thread a while back.

First, I think the Focals are bright. But, that needs to be tempered with the fact that everybody is different. I have to run them set at mid-flat because it hurts my ears set at mid-high. The crap part is that really shuts down the 'airiness' of the overall sound. I REALLY wish I could make my own cross-over for these. My tweeters are set at -6dB.

That being said, they handle serious power and sound perfect to full volume.

Given my preference to more natural sounding speakers, I would consider trading these if I could find something less bright, but just as clean under load... maybe the new Polk SR6500s?

i want them to sound "full" for lack of a better word...i have hoping for like lexus or acura stereo sound....i DONT want them to sound tinny....in the store they sounded great but i know it wont sound exactly the same in my car...am i goin with the right speakers here???

focals are of course, some of hte best car speakres around, bar non...i personally put them in my second tier of component sets simply becuase i am a huge sucker for laid back and smooth midrange and highs and to me, focals arent quite there yet, but again, this is my personal preference above all, i will never say anything bad about focal..

my top three choices are:

AVI BSM (had them in my volvo)

Morel Elate (had them in my volvo before AVI)

DLS Nobelium (Going in my current demo car)

to me those three brands personafy smoothness with clarify :)

as for whether or not they are wroth it or not...thats a personal questions :)

b

You're just going to have to camp out in the demo room & spend time with some speakers to answer these questions - it's the only way to know. Do yourself a favor & sit off-axis for a more realistic representation of what they'll sound like in car.

remember one thing, listening to a set of sepakres in a room is nothing like in a car, heck even listening to them in a car some what different han your own isnt a good judging factor...though much better, always demo speakres in a car of possible, of course, then you have the added issue of how the system is tuned...in the end, something i have realized over the years and tell my cusotmers, is that its pretty hard to get a clear picture of how things will sound with out acutally having things installed into your vehicle...the best you can do is find someone with eth same car and with the sepakres you want and well tuned and listen...but all in all, the best way to learn in car audio if you are serious about gaining knowledge into each sepakres, is acutally installing them into your car and see :) expensive and unpractical, but it teaches you the best...

when i first got into this, i spend months reading, and just getting overwhelmed with info , specs and personal opinions, but then, i just started going throguh speakrse sets in my truck, and after abouy a dozen different front stage installs in two years, i got a pretty good idea of how each speakres system can sound :)

b

I listened to them the other day at a store and they sounded great but as mentioned quite bright...and comparing them to the high end JL's I like the way they sounded better to be honest.

I have always been a fan of the Q Series Quart's (I owned 2 sets) make sure to take a listen to them...

Other options are also DynAudio they are much much softer sounding and a very strong midbass...good luck finding them though.

Last opinon I swear but believe it or not Alpine's highend line sounded incredible but they are the next level of pricing.

The Focals are very nice. They are a bit bright but the mid bass is rediculous. If you go back to Tweeter try listening to the new Polk SR6500 components. I have never liked Polk but these are a different breed. I went to Tweeter to buy the Focals but left with the Polks. They go for $749.00 retail. Plus on a good note they have a very shallow depth verses the Focals which are huge.

I used to like Boston stuff but this years line up didn't impress me.

Focals are hard to get down here. JBL, Infinity and Boston are easier to find. I've tried top of the line of those three brands... and to what I listened, the inifnity kappa parfect have the best transient responce.

But for home I have jbls studio series. They rock for movies.

i will second on the polk sr6500, i used to never really like polk all that much, but then had the chance to install two sets of SRs in two customers cars that they provided, and i was blown away, not surprising considering hte vifa designed, a lot of cool and useful technology crammed in there, espeically in the crossover, great detail and clarity with no harshness, they are definetly among the top of my list...here is a set in a CL :)

DSC03322.JPG.6d6e27d14a65fb0ba8fdaea98add9435.JPG

Archived