LegacyGT.com

soft touch grippy material coming off.

lawl

It's on the black handle on the door. cabin side. Big vertical bar near the window switches.

the material on the grip is coming off. underneath is a glossy black thing.

has it happened to anyone yet?

i have the same material on my computer mouse and it's doing the same thing. little hole where material comes off and it just gets bigger with time.

car for sale. PM me!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
i don't know but i was at the philly autoshow and sat in the newer 09's. the handle is now a dark silver metallic. most important thing is its more solid? compared to my 08. i have the black handle which i suppose is the same to the older legacy's. and imo is somewhat flimsy when you grab it.

i have the same problem on my 05 OBXT. you can buy replacement parts at below link but not sure if you need part 7 only or part 7 and 8.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214327&chapter=ARL7523&appSectionid=2732&groupid=2706&subgroupid=3440&componentid=0&make=32&model=Outback&year=2005&graphicID=7523615&callout=7&catalogid=2

if both, it will be about $35 per door.

i have the same problem on my 05 OBXT. you can buy replacement parts at below link but not sure if you need part 7 only or part 7 and 8.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214327&chapter=ARL7523&appSectionid=2732&groupid=2706&subgroupid=3440&componentid=0&make=32&model=Outback&year=2005&graphicID=7523615&callout=7&catalogid=2

if both, it will be about $35 per door.

wowsers! i have 3 doors that need it.... might try a diy covering or something first then. Wish it was covered under warranty lol...

• 3 months later...
*bump again* i ordered part 8 for my left hand door. the new covers do NOT have the grippy stuff on them anymore!! :( :( so now my left driver door doesn't quite match the others because it no longer has grippy stuff on it...

*bump again* i ordered part 8 for my left hand door. the new covers do NOT have the grippy stuff on them anymore!! :( :( so now my left driver door doesn't quite match the others because it no longer has grippy stuff on it...

I gave up on ordering them, removed all the grippy stuff and then spray painted them with some satin black or flat black and has the same look :) Actually feels good too!

I wonder if there's a spray somewhere that's rubbery/grippy like the old one.... hrm. The new handle is just flat black. Here are pictures of them next to each other, grr.....

1280264357_IMG_0877(Large).thumb.JPG.a7a06b499fbbaed07a074cca25e0ba4f.JPG

1754073247_IMG_0878(Large).thumb.JPG.2c771de7114aff25c89887f7e9fde571.JPG

is the new part on the right? that looks decent. would prefer to have the grippy still but if it just wears off i guess they realized no need to repeat a continuing problem. i need to order mine.

• 11 months later...

I hate the new handles also.

If anyone know where to get the old ones please post. I have brand new ones I would trade for a driver or passenger older style that hasnt lost any of the material at the top that helps it lock in place.

TIA.

aNthony

• 2 years later...
I gave up on ordering them, removed all the grippy stuff and then spray painted them with some satin black or flat black and has the same look :) Actually feels good too!

I know this thread is super old....not sure if resurrecting an old posting is frowned upon haha.

What did you use to remove the rubber coating?? Chemical or sandpaper and elbow grease?

That rubbery stuff is used EVERYWHERE on MK4 Jetta's and other VW's Im sure. It starts to wear off, and looks horrible.

There is no easy way to deal with it. I havent found any solvents that work, that wont really screw up the plastic under it. I have some really strong (dangerous) brake cleaner that does a good job, but leaves the ABS pretty gooey.

Best way Ive dealt with it is to take a knife, and with the blade perpendicular to the piece, scrap at it lightly. Just basically to get it started. Then I like to use scotch brite. It'll leave your part looking scuffed, and at that point, you can hit it with some primer and some paint.

Ive thought about trying plasti-dip. Since that is a rubberized coating. But Im currently experimenting with wrapping it in black vinyl. Same stuff I used one my shifter and ebrake boots. The cover is such a tight fit, that the material wrap around might cause an issue, but Im gonna try it. Worse comes to worse, Ill get a new cover, or yank it all off and try again.

J.

I wrapped mine in a vinyl that I had laying around. Came out ok. Nice and tight, which it has to be because that cover fits tight. Im still not sure if its going to fit, I left it to fully dry over night since Ide be pushing and pulling on it. Material is thin so I have high hopes haha.

I think it looks nice, matches the texture of other areas. And it feels great when you touch it. Better than the soft touch stuff.

We'll see! Ill post as to whether it fits or not.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/Vinyl%20Wrap/DoorPull_zps746d89f7.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/Vinyl%20Wrap/DoorPull2_zpsf02f7181.jpg

J.

Archived