LegacyGT.com

Considering a 2005/2006 LGT

I used to have a 2004 FXT, loved it. Have been Suby-free for a while now.

I'm considering an 05-06 LGT 5MT, possibly premium.

What do you all NOT like about your LGT? What did you feel the need to change on the car?

On the FXT, the brakes sucked, and the exhaust was restrictive (to be expected...) It was also quite noisy on the highway, and the 4eat was a little high strung.

Just looking for some real world experiences. I had a Mazdaspeed6 for 6 months, and I really didn't like it. I'm ready for a Suby again...

I love my 05 GT limited. There are a few small things that used to bother me. The interior light doesn't light up the front seats (there's a mod on this site somewhere). The arm rest is too small. You can't change out the stereo.

These issues aren't enough to bother me because of the drive. Everything is easy to reach. The car is responsive whenever I need. The drive is very refined. The cops don't follow me. I love it better than my 02 WRX Wagon for these very reasons.

The price on that one looks very reasonable. The only other thing I would suggest is to take one out on a test drive on both the interstate and some curvy roads to get a feel for it.

I thoroughly enjoy my 2005 LGT. One of the few complaints is the quirky climate control. Whenever you turn it on, the A/C is automatically on. Even when you swith the auto setting OFF the A/C will turn itself back on. It will stay off after you turn the A/C back off. Kind of annoying but not that big a deal. Other then that, its a great ride.

I have studder on my 05 that is still there even though I have run multiple aftermarket performance maps on the ECM.

But after 4 years of owning it, I can drive it studder free, as I know how to avoid it.

Get a manual if you can, it's a really fun engine to have complete control over.

The stock RE92 tires are not that great but if you are looking for an 05, likely the original OEM tires would need to be replaced anyway.

No head unit swap is a bummer though, I'm in the 12 volt electronics industryy and I still have a stock system after 4 years! But there are some nice sounding systems out there using the stock head unit, they incorporate good line leveling units like the JL Cleansweep.

The AWD is terrific, but you'd know that from your Forester.

I just bought pretty much exactly what you're considering. An 05 LGT Limited Black/Black. Read up on the forums about the cubby install method. It's a PITA but you can have an aftermarket stereo if you want it bad enough. Picked my car up this past Monday and absolutely love it!

I just bought pretty much exactly what you're considering. An 05 LGT Limited Black/Black. Read up on the forums about the cubby install method. It's a PITA but you can have an aftermarket stereo if you want it bad enough. Picked my car up this past Monday and absolutely love it!

you mind me asking what you paid, and the mileage?

Marky, I own an 05 LGT base (cloth seats) 5MT. I absolutely love the car. Stock, it is a fun ride. When you throw a few grand at it and bump up the power, braking and handling, it is freakin' awesome. I used to call it "My four door, four season, four wheel drive Porsche Boxster". Now, I call it "My four door, four season, four wheel drive Corvette". With 360 ft-lbs of torque, it matches the peak output of a 2004 C5 Corvettte. :)

Things I don't like? I'm 6'2", and it would be great if the car was just a SNEEZE bigger. I have the manual driver's seat, and it is not as comfortable as other cars I've driven.

The stock stereo doesn't bother me that much. I added the factory sub to it, and it works well enough for me.

The brake pedal is too soft for my liking, so I replaced the rotors and pads. I went with a Hawk street performance pad and Frozen Rotors. Didn't see much of a change. I'm doing SS lines this summer.

My car has a bunch of squeeks and rattles, but it is 4 years old and 57K miles, and in MN it lives in a tough environment.

The clutch feel is vague, but perhaps an aftermarket PP/FW combo would fix that.

Where I'm at, performance wise, the engine is REALLY peaky. But if you learn how to manage the throttle, you can drive it smoothly. The electronic throttle isn't the best. I wish it was a mechanical linkage and that the flywheel wasn't the way it was. It would make the car easier to drive smoothly.

Other than those things, which are common, I love the car. It is the best car I've owned so far (other than my 2000 Corvette). It is engaging to drive, FAST, corners very well, and fits my family when we need to go on a trip. Plus, it can scale up my driveway (think ski jump) in the MN winter time.

That looks like a great price, just run a carfax, test drive a few LGTs to get a feel for what is "normal", go test drive that car, and BUY IT. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and love it.

Can't add an aftermarket head unit (I'm kind of over that stuff now anyways), but no aux input sucks. The climate control setup is the worst I've ever seen in any car. Utterly retarded. I wish I could just drop in some manual controls. The yellow airbag on/off light is annoying and unnecessary IMO. Gas mileage could be a bit better (I usually average about 23mpg, 70% highway).

That's about all I can think of. I'll have it a year next month and overall I love it. Plan on keeping it until it's dead :)

Archived