LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Yes - transmissions should cross very easily between the two vehicles. Might be easier (and less expensive) to just add an STI FLSD and forego the DCCD, but the STI 6MT should bolt right in with no need to change axles, driveshaft (check on that though) and exhaust mounts (if any) should line right up, just add the DCCD and yaw controllers.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Installing the DCCD would involve removing the center differential and replacing it with the STI DCCD. That would involve a tear-down and I'm not certain that the Spec B 6MT has the appropriate port (Read: hole in the side of the transmission) for the wiring to exit the transmission or not.

If you're really hard-over about adding DCCD, I'd recommend sourcing a good STI 6MT and replacing your existing Spec B version. Should be able to sell your Spec B tranny for about what you'd pay for the STI one.

However it works out, post in here.

As far as I can determine from scouring the 2008 Legacy 6MT transmission FSM there is no oil pump listed, nor is there a drawing of the oil line to pressure lube the Spec B tranny. However, every actual photo (Example) of a Spec B 6MT that I've seen does have an oil line on it, so this is confusing.

And I don't have links that indicate the differences, but pictures will show the DCCD difference. Note that the controller port is in the transmission housing itself and not in the tail section.

1798037934_STIDCCDConnectorLocation.jpg.3ca4e2fd24ca43c08e763273204b41f5.jpg

521236702_SpecBMissingDCCDConnector.jpg.670e3c659630ddcab9d4e9870c4e52cf.jpg

@SBT

It seems, that to use a complete tranny is the easier way to go.

Just a last question, especially for LH driver, can i use a RH tranny in my car - more offers than for LH trannys and the price is better (UK market is very nice). The thing with the oilpump is very strange, at opposedforces she is listed for all spec B tranny.

Thanks for your excelent support.

Agreed. Unless you have the components to do it yourself at a good price-point. The transmissions should mount up without issue. There may be regional (LHD/RHD) differences (albeit likely minor) between the actual harness mountings/connectors.

The one thing you will find is the actual gearing differences between the STI and Spec B trans. Easily remedied by swapping gear sets, but check the actual ratios for the various versions (think some of that is in this thread) and the rest is likely here.

BTW - looks from your other interweb postings that you've been after this for ahile. Post in here how it goes.

I actually did find the LED display on dccdpro.com after trolling the interwebs I found this on nasioc:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Yes, you can easily build a small project box led display, a few people have asked me about it. The cable for the STi cluster has everything in it including power so really all you need are 6-7 led's and 6-7 current limiting resistors to match your led current rating. There is a schematic on my website for reference in the downloads section.

I was tossing around the idea of building these for people, maybe I'll put something together after all....it wouldn't cost more than a few dollars to do.

I just can't seem to find a really good looking led bar graph with a nice bezel.

-Jeff

http://dccdpro.com/main/wp-content/downloads/Cluster%20pinouts.pdf

http://dccdpro.com/main/wp-content/downloads/illumination.pdf

I won't go for the basic LED lights, but something like the neetronics display. I didn't even know there was another option besides dccd pro ;/

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/georgekostomiris/IMG_0490.jpg

You could drill the spec b tranny for the dccd wiring it actually looks like the casting is there and just needs drilled but even if it is not you just need to drill and seal the hle then run it to dccd pro or other dccd controllers

That said going with sti tranny probably easier but you do already have the spec b tranny but like they said you could probably sell it for close to what the sti tranny cost especially if you have put LSD in the front or center I was shopping for a spec b tranny until i found out about the open diff

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys after reading most of the thread im still curious. I have an 09lgt I'm guessing by reading this thread it is r160? Now on the first post it said if you have an +06sti trans, I can use my rear diff because of the 1:1 stepper? I just need dccd control, driveshaft from either a 2.5i or a spec b 6MT flywheel and clutch, 2005 STI front axle seals (recommended), 6MT shift linkage, 6MT shifter, 6MT slave cylinder, 6MT clutch fork? The car is stock with a brentune. When I bought it I could feel the clutch slip on the highway a little. Today I was on the highway doing about 60mph. I went to pass someone in 5th gear, once boost hit the clutch slipped all the way till redline. I put it in 4th and it did it again. So I know it on its way out and would rather get the swap I want when I start puling the trans out to do the clutch.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...