LegacyGT.com

Biggest turbo on stock block?

So its time for a new turbo. 05 LGT with the 5EAT. What is the biggest turbo that I can get but still not have to worry about the block or transmission being destroyed? Stock block and stock transmission. Willing to do injectors and fuel pump but want to stay TMIC and IWG due to cost of FMIC and EWG. Thanks.

At some point, going too big on the turbo (the VF52 is all 99% of people will ever need, honestly - more is overkill and requires a ton of other upgrades to go with it) will just get you terrible spool time/lag, and if you want to stay with a TMIC, even aftermarket options can only handle so much air before they will no longer be able to keep up. If you're looking for big, big power, you need a FMIC.

I'm guessing you don't have any mods right now, like the UP or DP or exhaust?

At some point, going too big on the turbo (the VF52 is all 99% of people will ever need, honestly - more is overkill and requires a ton of other upgrades to go with it) will just get you terrible spool time/lag, and if you want to stay with a TMIC, even aftermarket options can only handle so much air before they will no longer be able to keep up. If you're looking for big, big power, you need a FMIC.

I'm guessing you don't have any mods right now, like the UP or DP or exhaust?

Right now im stage 2. So UP, DP, CBE, CAI, Perrin TMIC. Might be forgetting one or two things but those are the main upgrades

So its time for a new turbo. 05 LGT with the 5EAT. What is the biggest turbo that I can get but still not have to worry about the block or transmission being destroyed? Stock block and stock transmission. Willing to do injectors and fuel pump but want to stay TMIC and IWG due to cost of FMIC and EWG. Thanks.

PIA said to do a vf52 and can yield about 40 more hp. they said not much problems with the 5eat but an 18g owner had an issue. could have been abuse though. they recommended a pump but not injectors. might as well get them cleaned and match etc imo.

as easy as it is to bolt on a 20g subaru just didnt build these cars to be problem free. i suspect you will find new problems.

in my opinion id go no further than a vf52.

you should get a new BPV though. the stocker isnt perfect. sure it MAY work fine but dont shortcut man.

PIA said to do a vf52 and can yield about 40 more hp. they said not much problems with the 5eat but an 18g owner had an issue. could have been abuse though. they recommended a pump but not injectors. might as well get them cleaned and match etc imo.

as easy as it is to bolt on a 20g subaru just didnt build these cars to be problem free. i suspect you will find new problems.

in my opinion id go no further than a vf52.

you should get a new BPV though. the stocker isnt perfect. sure it MAY work fine but dont shortcut man.

Already have a GFB BOV. So maybe think I could get away with an 18g for a bit more than a vf52 but not the problems of a 20g?

Already have a GFB BOV. So maybe think I could get away with an 18g for a bit more than a vf52 but not the problems of a 20g?

i dont know man as i dont have experience with bigger turbos.

on a vf46 i have replaced a bpv and torn throttle body hose splitting intercooler. i did a turbo inlet for giggles since they were replacing my stock turbo. this is why i say subaru didnt build the car for big turbos. they cut costs where they could and designed the parts for stock power and a pinch more for safety.

from what i have learned there is always some glitchy something that happens when you add a mod.

im not interested in adding a 20g and then use my dd as a test mule. due to half the talk on here ive always had fear for the 5eat. so far its been going good even without a cooler. ive had no reason to launch the car so i never do. you either have more power than the other car or you dont.

people in the past said the transmission gets hot. i asked what the temps were and no one could answer as they didnt measure it. many here are fairly ignorant and are not engineers. even some "experienced" people are at times with mistakes.

with all that said...its your choice man. its not my car. haha. so do what you wish. me personally? the cost of mods and repairs should the engine or transmission go may be applied to a more powerful car from the start. my current tune is pushing 285ft-lb to the wheels. a vf52 can be even higher.

people have said the torque is high etc but last i checked you dont HAVE to tune it for max torque. its like running a low boost map. can get great top end but dial down the mid range torque. im personally a bit worried about going past the 285. maybe 300 will cook the transmission. i dont know. no one really knows.

anything more i say will be my ideas pushed onto you as if i hadnt done that already. id contact a tuning shop and ask what their experiences have been with 5eats and what turbo upgrades do.

me? if you go bigger keep the mid range torque down. the 285 i have now is waaaaay more than enough. at 25% loss thats about 350 crank torque.

its hard to say really. how lucky do you feel?

^ This. You '05~'07 guys have it easy really. Fit the valve body, use good fluid, keep it cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

that is of a manual. op has a 5eat and doesnt want to break or melt things.

User Starionesir has a dom 3 on his automatic lgt. He is in the thread. His car runs great with no issues

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I've been running my dom 3 setup for a couple years now with no issues. I don't beat on the car everyday but don't drive like grandma either.

I do have the hexmods valvebody and flushed the trans during the installation. I use amsoil atf. You don't need to drain it every 15k miles. My fluid is still the same ruby red color it was when I did the install.

I'm also running the stock radiator with no external cooler. Once my radiator is due for replacement then I'm going to a external setup.

User Starionesir has a dom 3 on his automatic lgt. He is in the thread. His car runs great with no issues

and my gt doesnt burn oil and it doesnt lose power to redline.

there are anomalies everywhere.

if he is asking these questions he doesnt want the risk involved. maybe a dom 3 on the op's car will damage his transmission.

i think the op is doing some heavy calculated risk assessments. would you stick with 1 (maybe others) result or go by an established agreeable trend?

Every car is different. You have to use common sense when modding a car. If the car has issues now then adding power will only make them worse. If you drive the car like its a race car everyday it will fail.

Problem is many people will increase power on something because they can but then hammer on it day after day then cry because it broke. Its just like old saying you have to pay to play.

I had driven my car for at least a year and had done all the preventive maintenance prior to going stage 3.

and my gt doesnt burn oil and it doesnt lose power to redline.

there are anomalies everywhere.

if he is asking these questions he doesnt want the risk involved. maybe a dom 3 on the op's car will damage his transmission.

i think the op is doing some heavy calculated risk assessments. would you stick with 1 (maybe others) result or go by an established agreeable trend?

The original post says biggest turbo on stock block, so I was just trying to point him in the direction of someone that has a big turbo on an auto tranny similar to what hes looking for....

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

im 5eat and about to go spoolinator or 1.5xtr bigger than that without fuel supporting mods is a waste. you gotta decide what kind of spool and total numbers you want not "biggest turbo"

The original post says biggest turbo on stock block, so I was just trying to point him in the direction of someone that has a big turbo on an auto tranny similar to what hes looking for....

you read the title but did you read his post?

do you not understand what he is asking?

The OP should have worded it slightly different as bigger is not always better. Really depends on his goals and if he ever plans on pushing the car harder after he builds the engine.

My car is tuned right at about 400 whp and my tuner does not recommend going past that on the stock block. I went bigger on turbo, injectors, etc as once the motor is upgraded I can easily increase boost to gain power without needing to swap turbos. Again all depends on the OP's goals and what he wants to do with the car. More power = more chance at breaking parts. No way around that.

you read the title but did you read his post?

do you not understand what he is asking?

I understand completely... which is why l recommended he take a look at starionesirs car because he has a big turbo on a stock block with minimal mods... maybe the biggest I have seen on an auto tranny... how did your post help him again? vf52 is not much bigger than stock. He said BIGGEST turbo on stock block did he not?

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Yes I should have worded it differently. Im looking for a turbo that will give me the most power, while still being reliable and not having to worry about anything blowing up. May be willing to do some upgrades to the tranny like valve body etc.

well first you should figure out who is going to be doing the tuning, then discuss with that person what they think the biggest turbo is that you can safely run, also considering how much boost, how much power, how many track days (if any) and the current condition of your engine will all make a difference. Have you gotten a report from blackstone yet for the engine currently in the car? if not you should do that first and see what kind of condition its in. Its only $25

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

No matter what turbo you go with I would upgrade the valve body. It will make a world of difference. Even on the stock turbo.

I have had no issues with my car at all but as stated do not drive my car hard all the time and listen to the car. Many have the VF52 and like that for a daily driver and that power level shouldn't cause you any issues.

Archived