LegacyGT.com

4EAT to 5MT swap worth it?

Ide love to have the manual trans and there is a car local being parted out. Is the swap worth it? I seen a thread on here before but cant seem to find it. So I would need the trans, rear diff, and pedals/clutch hydraulics of course.

Im guessing I also need the driveshaft, and trans crossmember and some wiring probably.

I was looking into that very soon after I bought mine, the more I learn about it it seems to become easier for me to think it is worth it. There is a lot of work and a bit of downtime that I personally can't afford. If you can dedicate the week or so it would take after getting the parts together and combing through incidentals I think it would be well worth it. Some people say yes its completely worth it some say no...its more about if you can swing the cost and downtime required.

Your list is pretty complete exept the hill holder, ecu-tcu and exhaust manifold...I don't know everything but I did look into it somewhat. You would also have to delete the egr and bpt and all lines.

Exhaust manifold should be the same and I also read the ecu was the same. Maybe if my auto ever bites the dust ill get a 5mt. Ide like to have a complete parts car tho to pull parts from and be nice if it was a gt cause somethings on the outback are different I think. I just really miss having a MT.

Jjay, before you do the manual swap do the power mode mod. It allows you to access the JDM shifting maps. Basically this means you can stomp on the gas and the trans won't shift until you get up to 5k. It's super easy to do. You ground a pin from the tcu and you're done. Add a switch if you'd like.

Even if you are bent on the 5mt swap this will make the car more fun in the meantime and a lot less expensive.

Duh, I forgot the flywheel, clutch set up with pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder with the lines and of course the petal assemblies. I'm not sure if the toqure mount is the same from auto to manual. It's a lot of work.

Jjay, before you do the manual swap do the power mode mod. It allows you to access the JDM shifting maps. Basically this means you can stomp on the gas and the trans won't shift until you get up to 5k. It's super easy to do. You ground a pin from the tcu and you're done. Add a switch if you'd like.

Even if you are bent on the 5mt swap this will make the car more fun in the meantime and a lot less expensive.

Dang, I've gotta try that out. The stock shifting maps leave something to be desired.

Do it! It's so much fun and fairly easy to do. I need to do a full write up one of these days but there are plenty out there.

The only hurdle is obtaining the correct pin size with a pigtail. There are three plugs going to the tcu and the pin sizes are not the same for each plug. I learned this the hard way. If you have access to a junkyard even better. I made the mistake of assuming the ones were the same so I had to make a few trips. On the bright side I love to go to the junk yard.

A switch isn't necessary, you can just install the pin and ground it to the chassis so power mode will always be on. The only downside from what I understand is that the diff won't lock up on the highway but I don't know if this is completely true. However, I like having a switch. Like I stated previously a simple toggle switch is sufficient. On the first gens the 'power' light will illuminate. As far as I know the second gens do not have the power light. So I started a thread asking how to install a switch with an led: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rocker-switch-question-198670p3.html

It's a little more complicated to do so but it's worth it IMO because racecar.

Another nice feature of power mode is it responds to how much the throttle is depressed. If you light foot the gas the 'normal' shifting maps occur. If you stomp on it and go WOT the more aggressive shifting maps are used.

Please explain what this mod actually does. Like does it increase the power to the rear wheels? I don't see how it changes to a "JDM" mapping and why that would be in the USDM computer in the first place.

Ok I get it now but does anybody know what pin it is for a second gen legacy (99lgt)? I've read it isn't pin #4. Thx guys I'll give this a try to see if I even like this. I would like the 50/50 mod but I can't find a good write up for my gen.

<'99 Phase 1 TCU: Pin #4

'99+ Phase 2 TCU: Pin #20, Most likely will need to add a pin to the empty space between the white/red and blue/white wires on the white plug below

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0884.jpg?t=1329087101

Ok I get it now but does anybody know what pin it is for a second gen legacy (99lgt)? I've read it isn't pin #4. Thx guys I'll give this a try to see if I even like this. I would like the 50/50 mod but I can't find a good write up for my gen.

50/50 mod: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

This is great info zues, I have been looking into this for my 95 4eat but I don't see a metal contact in that plug, the wires are different color from the pictures on the svx thread. The ecu in my car was assembled in the us so I'm guessing I would have to add one or get another ecu? Can't find any other write-ups on the mod through the search...

keep in mind, you're grounding a pin from the TCU*,under the dash, and not the ECU, under the passenger side carpet..

that said, the 95s have completely different wiring than both first gens and 96+ second gens so the FSM will definitely help out here

you'll more than likely need to add a pin to the harness, i just went to a junkyard and clipped the whole body harness from the car, now i have hundreds of pins to add in case i ever need them..

Well I would think I have a phase 1 because it's a mid 98 production but my title lists it as a 99 but I do have the external trans filter. I don't know if that's how to determine if I have a phase 1/2 tcu. I know exactly where the tcu unit is. I pulled my dash in the winter to replace my heater core. Thx for the info.

Well guys I figured out that I have a phase 2 tcu due to only a 2 plug tcu with a grey and white connector. Now I went to a local you pull it yard and they only had a 95 Legacy with the phase 1. I did take a quick look at the white plug on my car to get an idea of the pin size I would need. I cut 7 plugs just to make sure I would get some that would work.......NOPE!! Not one of the 7 connectors pins would work. Sucks cuz that's the only u pull it yard close to my house. Matter of fact there's not any 99 Legacys in the local yards in Milwaukee. Does anybody know if any other Subarus tcu connectors pins will work like for a impreza or Forester with the phase 2 tcu's?

Archived